Looking at an Edge

crunch27

Hello everyone! I have a 2011 Ranger FX4 (4th Ranger) and my wife has a 2003 Escape XLT, 4WD with 260,000 kms. on it. We are looking to replace her Escape and are seriously looking at the Edge. That is why I joined your Forum. Research and discussions.

We went to the Detroit Autoshow, back in January to look at the new 2013 Ford Escape and came away a bit disappointed. Our first priority in looking at a new vehicle is the ability to lay two sets of golf clubs across the back of the hatch compartment, plus luggage. The new Escape could not. It was too small, too tight. That is why we are looking at the Edge.

:happy feet: Go for it - get the Edge, you will love it. I have the MKX, yeah, a bit jazzed up over the Edge, but still, basically the same vehicle. Previously, has 3 Explorers ( '95, '02, '06) really liked them, but did not get another one, because I felt that they were too big for just my wife and I, so went smaller and love it. Rides and handles like a dream !

Edited by JOEHIO

Hello everyone! I have a 2011 Ranger FX4 (4th Ranger) and my wife has a 2003 Escape XLT, 4WD with 260,000 kms. on it. We are looking to replace her Escape and are seriously looking at the Edge. That is why I joined your Forum. Research and discussions.

We went to the Detroit Autoshow, back in January to look at the new 2013 Ford Escape and came away a bit disappointed. Our first priority in looking at a new vehicle is the ability to lay two sets of golf clubs across the back of the hatch compartment, plus luggage. The new Escape could not. It was too small, too tight. That is why we are looking at the Edge.

Edge is a good car, but I would not get My Ford Touch, or wait until you see feedback on the whenever to be released complete rewrite. I haven't checked, but I believe Explorer is about the same cost and same mileage but more room. Also for whatever it is worth, Edge sales are down year to date over last year, only by about 1%, Explorer sales are up about 20%.

It came down to a decision between the (new) Explorer and the Edge for me as well. There's some cross over (pardon the pun LOL) of pricing, but to get the same toys on the Explorer that I had on the Edge would have cost several thousand more. That plus I really don't need the ability to sear 7 anymore, and the Edge it was for me - it's a "right" size kinda rig, not too big and not too small, making it very comfortable to drive but still with lots of space for "stuff" when you need it.

I have to add a clarification, like Scorpio said, if ya don't need the room, why not go a bit smaller. I looked at the Explorer, nice, but couldn't justify getting a 7 passenger Explorer for the wife and I, PLUS, another big factor was that the new Explorer is so much wider than previous years,width-wise, it would just about fit in the garage unless the mirrors were folded in. Also, by the time I Loaded up with all options, the price really went up, so I figured that if I was going to blow that much money, why not go all the way, hence getting my MKX ! Like my late father always said, "you only go around once, and there is no luggage rack on a hearse" ! :worship:

Edited by JOEHIO

we shopped around and test drove vehicles and selected the Edge mostly for the second row leg room. like others have said, we didn't need the room for 7 passengers that the explorer offers. anyway, we bought the Edge for the roomy interior - and now we are really impressed with the ride and how it handles, as well as the MyTouch system.

If you get a 2013 the MFT should not be an issue for you. I am on my second Edge and I love it. Looks good, nice materials used for the interior and the cargo space cannot be beat. I have filled mine more than once with more than I thought would fit but it is not a beast to drive like large suv's are.

we shopped around and test drove vehicles and selected the Edge mostly for the second row leg room. like others have said, we didn't need the room for 7 passengers that the explorer offers. anyway, we bought the Edge for the roomy interior - and now we are really impressed with the ride and how it handles, as well as the MyTouch system.

Edge has 3.3" more 2nd row legroom than the caddy srx. This is the main reason I am looking at the Edge. It also has a good bit more interior room than the caddy. Not to mention better gas mileage. I could on and on but I'm preaching to the choir.

Edge has 3.3" more 2nd row legroom than the caddy srx. This is the main reason I am looking at the Edge. It also has a good bit more interior room than the caddy. Not to mention better gas mileage. I could on and on but I'm preaching to the choir.

We test drove an SRX before deciding on the Edge. I was very disappointed in the road noise and ride quality on the SRX, for $40K+ I expected better. The Edge was MUCH quieter and smoother; we drove an Ecoboost limited with 18 inch rims (bought the same set up, different color).