HELP! Is it worth it?!

ItzCaseyB

I'm looking at trading in my 2008 Scion xD for a 2012 Ford Edge Limited...my question is I drive about 50 highway miles a day (5 days a week) and of course want to save money on gas, but I was wondering what everyone thinks in regards to buying the regular V6 verse the EcoBoost? Is the EcoBoost really worth the extra $995?

I'm looking at trading in my 2008 Scion xD for a 2012 Ford Edge Limited...my question is I drive about 50 highway miles a day (5 days a week) and of course want to save money on gas, but I was wondering what everyone thinks in regards to buying the regular V6 verse the EcoBoost? Is the EcoBoost really worth the extra $995?

easy as math

current engine MPG - Edge Ecoboost MPG (based on city/country mix) * $/Gallon * Miles over x years = total savings. Compare that to $995

I dunno, for as much as you'd be spending on the car, and the expectation that gas will likely just go up, the $1k difference isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

If I could have gotten an ecoboost on my (AWD MKX) I would have. Even if I broke even on the better milage vs cost, I'd feel better in terms of "green" feeling, and know I have some protection against higher future gas prices.

*shrug*

I say that unless the $1k will really break you, just get it and be happy. :)

Edited by ThunderRoad

I have it, and I am happy. I get 43-44 mpg on canadian gallon which would be about 37 us mpg.

You would be using about 1.3 gallons of gas per day if you drive about 50 miles.

In comparison you would be using about 2 gallons of gas on a V-6. So a savings of .7 at about $3.40 per gallon or a savings of $2.38 per day/$11.90 per week/$618.80 per year based on 5 days per week and 52 weeks per year.

So based on this it would take you 1 year 8 months to break even.

As far as extra costs, I don't see any, I have owned about 5-6 turbo vehicles in my life and never had to do anything extra.

One thing every one seems to miss, is the added value you will get on trade in compared to a V-6 engine.

I have it, and I am happy. I get 43-44 mpg on canadian gallon which would be about 37 us mpg.

You would be using about 1.3 gallons of gas per day if you drive about 50 miles.

In comparison you would be using about 2 gallons of gas on a V-6. So a savings of .7 at about $3.40 per gallon or a savings of $2.38 per day/$11.90 per week/$618.80 per year based on 5 days per week and 52 weeks per year.

So based on this it would take you 1 year 8 months to break even.

As far as extra costs, I don't see any, I have owned about 5-6 turbo vehicles in my life and never had to do anything extra.

One thing every one seems to miss, is the added value you will get on trade in compared to a V-6 engine.

We recenly puchased a Limited Edge with standard 3.5 V6. In real world driving, wife is getting 18-20 MPG US in city and urban driving computed after buying fuel. Highway about 26.5 average is best I have seen on cars computer....don't know how accurate that is. 2.0 Liter EB obviously can do considerably better at light throttle. Drive it hard, and doubt if you see much difference over V6. So driving habits will play a big part in this also.

• 8 months later...

This table should help. You can change some assumptions at the top. Basically, look up the baseline MPG for any vehicle in column B and the improvement in MPG in columns E-H. The intersection is the expected fuel savings over 5 years. As you can see, its basically a wash for a 2 MPG improvement from 19 to 21 for a $1,000 upgrade. You can also see, the improvement diminished with higher MPG baseline vehicles.