Hi!

newfordowner

Last year I was broadsided in my 1999 Toyota 4Runner. I loved that car (and not just because it was paid off) but it was totaled. I have never owned a Ford before...I am actually an avid Toyota/Honda fan, but the new 4Runners were too big and didn't offer enough of the kind of storage space for my needs. Plus, I really wanted more of a crossover SUV. After several weeks of research, I decided to get a 2011 Ford Edge SEL.

There are so many things I like about the car, from the styling to the way it handles, to the fact that the front seat folds forward into a flat position, which means I can put an 8 foot ladder inside my car if I don't feel like strapping it to the roof rack. When the ladder isn't in the car, the back of the seat acts like a desk of sorts. I didn't have this with my 4Runner and it's fabulous.

The thing is, and the reason why I became a member of this forum, is that I've had more problems with the MyTouch than I can describe here and it's reassuring to see that I'm not the only one (as my dealer insisted I was when I repeatedly brought the car back in).

I read the Fox news article that someone posted here saying that Ford is planning to send out another upgrade early next year, which makes me a bit happier.

There are the usual things, like the rear camera only working sometimes, and the car deciding to play my ipod when I haven't asked it to. Or now it likes to keep playing the music after I turn off the car and take out the key. The volume works most of the time as does the screen. The cliches are becoming more frequent and varied, which happened earlier this year when it had so many problems that they finally replaced the entire computer.

The worst thing that happened was that the car shut off while I was pulling into a parking space and the steering stopped working. It freaked me out as I drive quite a bit, both to and from work and taking my young son around.

Like I said, there are a lot of things I really like about the car, so hopefully Ford will be able to fix the Mytouch. I already asked my dealer if he can disable the whole thing, but apparently it's not possible.

Sadly, my faith in American cars is a bit battered, which is doubly unfortunate since I bought a Ford in the first place because I thought that finally I might be as happy with an American car as I have been with the imports I've depended on for 20+ years.

But then again, if they truly fix the MyTouch and it stays fixed for longer than a few months, my faith is repairable.