Edge in the Middle East (Dubai) a few differences I've spotted

Mitch1972

I finally got my White 2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD yesterday - I've only driven it very briefly and have spotted none of the obvious problems (yet) Other than a slight scratch on the Speedo glass, and a couple of unsmooth leather work areas on the passenger seat, I've 100% satisfied.

I knew living out here now that the Nav would be a no-go, but I still have my trusty Garmin (so don't really care) - the MFT and Sync seem fine - I'm guessing I have 2.8 since it was built in May/June and there's none of the infamous lag on mine. USB works fine! Speech recognition works very well with my British English accent to.

A couple of differences I've noticed from what I was expecting (not necessarily hoping) is no privacy glass (it might have something to do with the tinting laws here, although, I notice older imports here do have the privacy glass. No matter, I've just put 3M 50% - looks great! (which is technically illegal here - 35% blocking is the max) on the sides and back and didn't have to worry about matching up. The mirrors are chrome not body colour, again, I had no preference so don't care.

I've just bought WD 500G harddrive to transfer all my music, I'll spend today tagging the music properly so I can take advantage of the speech recognition (which I think is a fantastic feature).

I post some photos later - but it's pretty much factory other than the tints.

Future investments - Hids - not a fan of the yellowish glow - not with a white car! Clear windshield/screen film to keep the car cool - Dubai is basically a desert after all.

This afternoon - I'll try and get my head around the keyless entry fob.

I finally got my White 2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD yesterday - I've only driven it very briefly and have spotted none of the obvious problems (yet) Other than a slight scratch on the Speedo glass, and a couple of unsmooth leather work areas on the passenger seat, I've 100% satisfied.

I knew living out here now that the Nav would be a no-go, but I still have my trusty Garmin (so don't really care) - the MFT and Sync seem fine - I'm guessing I have 2.8 since it was built in May/June and there's none of the infamous lag on mine. USB works fine! Speech recognition works very well with my British English accent to.

A couple of differences I've noticed from what I was expecting (not necessarily hoping) is no privacy glass (it might have something to do with the tinting laws here, although, I notice older imports here do have the privacy glass. No matter, I've just put 3M 50% - looks great! (which is technically illegal here - 35% blocking is the max) on the sides and back and didn't have to worry about matching up. The mirrors are chrome not body colour, again, I had no preference so don't care.

I've just bought WD 500G harddrive to transfer all my music, I'll spend today tagging the music properly so I can take advantage of the speech recognition (which I think is a fantastic feature).

I post some photos later - but it's pretty much factory other than the tints.

Future investments - Hids - not a fan of the yellowish glow - not with a white car! Clear windshield/screen film to keep the car cool - Dubai is basically a desert after all.

This afternoon - I'll try and get my head around the keyless entry fob.

I haven't had luck with portable HDDs, let me know if you get it working. Best I've had luck with was a 16GB USB 3.0 stick

I haven't had luck with portable HDDs, let me know if you get it working. Best I've had luck with was a 16GB USB 3.0 stick

I'll let you know tomorrow, I finished the tagging and connected it up for about half an hour - it was up to 2500 of 11,500 when I got bored of waiting, I left it connected so hopefully, it'll carry on syncing the rest. It didn't like the new HDD3.0, so I used an older 2.0 one, but still 500GB. Finger crossed ;)

I'll let you know tomorrow, I finished the tagging and connected it up for about half an hour - it was up to 2500 of 11,500 when I got bored of waiting, I left it connected so hopefully, it'll carry on syncing the rest. It didn't like the new HDD3.0, so I used an older 2.0 one, but still 500GB. Finger crossed ;)

I'm interested to know.

Right now, my solution consists of using Google Music through my phone. It's nice to have access to all of my 7000+ songs without carrying anything extra around.

Wait you can store music on your Edge? I thought the Edge didn't have an hard drive? I also, like cal3thousand, use Google Music and I love it. But if you can store music on the Edge without any hardware, that would be great.

He bought a HDD and is going to try to connect it via USB. I haven't had previous luck with that. So I use G Music or my USB stick.

Yes it works perfectly :happy feet:

It must've taken about 45 minutes to completely index - it seemed to be stuck at 2500 or so, I just ignored it, then after a while it said indexing complete, and then began building the voice command data for each track - I think that must've taken about 10 minutes (for the 11,000 tracks)

I'm glad I spent the time yesterday properly tagging - I used a program Helium 8, which is an audio manager, it lets you tag by file name, I just went for the Artist first, then the song, but you can also add Album, track number, Album art if you want.

The HDD is a Western Digital 500GB USB 2.0 - I deleted the handling software, so for all intense and purposes, it's just a generic storage device.

Good luck

Yes it works perfectly :happy feet:

It must've taken about 45 minutes to completely index - it seemed to be stuck at 2500 or so, I just ignored it, then after a while it said indexing complete, and then began building the voice command data for each track - I think that must've taken about 10 minutes (for the 11,000 tracks)

I'm glad I spent the time yesterday properly tagging - I used a program Helium 8, which is an audio manager, it lets you tag by file name, I just went for the Artist first, then the song, but you can also add Album, track number, Album art if you want.

The HDD is a Western Digital 500GB USB 2.0 - I deleted the handling software, so for all intense and purposes, it's just a generic storage device.

Good luck

Wow! I'm stoked for ya!

Thanks for all the info. I'm tempted to give it another go since I have a WD 320GB and a WD 500GB.

May I ask you the folder structure (all songs in root folder/in album folders) and partition File system you used (FAT or FAT32)?

Wow! I'm stoked for ya!

Thanks for all the info. I'm tempted to give it another go since I have a WD 320GB and a WD 500GB.

May I ask you the folder structure (all songs in root folder/in album folders) and partition File system you used (FAT or FAT32)?

FAT 32 - no folders, all single tracks dropped straight onto HDD

Give it a try

• Like 1