A new Edge owner

TDSapp

My mother in law just bought a 2011 Edge Limited with all the bells and whistles. Since then I have been pulling my hair out... I am the family tech support for anything computer or electronic so it's up to me to teach her how to use all the bells and whistles and configure everything. I am about to head off to one of the other sub-forums to start searching for some answers and maybe post a question or two.

I hope this site is as good as other forums I use and all my questions get answered. I have a feeling I might be here looking for answers often since the Ford site has so little information on it.

Just as an FYI...

I am looking for details on adding contacts to the phone book if the phone will not sync the information, and how to update the maps in the navigation since they over 5 years out of date and don't have the streets that we live on. Apparently the sync voice nav has the address but the maps on the SD card does not. If we can't upgrade to newer maps then I am not sure if the NAV unit is not worth the $700.00 that my MIL paid.

You know... I have never been a Ford fan but really started to change my mind while going with my MIL to test drive cars. We actually enjoyed the ride of the Edge better than the Lincoln MKX and since the Sync system was the same there was not much of a loss. But after she bought it then we started to run into issues. We have the dealer telling us that we can sync her phone and then download her contact list using SyncMyRide.com. I eventually find a list of supported phones and her phone is supported and apparently does the contact downloads but it never works when we try it. So, I head over to the sync site and when I get there and find that there are no options to update the phone book through the web site so I open a chat window with a customer support rep.

He tells me I have to use an app called SyncMyRide and sends me a link to the site where I can download it. What a crap application! I spent 6 hours formatting data and trying to figure out how to import a CSV and then cleaning up what it finally did import. My MIL showed up today and I tried to install the contacts into the phone book. After getting errors a couple times and then trying to reformat the USB drive and re-export the contact list, I go back to the site to find in the user to user forums that the application will not work with 2011 Fords. Man... So I figured that while I tried to figure out what to do I would manually enter a few contacts into the phone book to only find that it appears you can't manually enter contacts into the phone book from the dash board screen.

This and a few other things are starting to make me think that I am correct in not "trusting" Ford vehicles. I hope that I can get the issues resolved soon... My MIL might be wanting to return the Edge if she can't do the things she was told she could do.

Oh well... I am off on a search to see if I can find answers to my questions.

Tim

My mother in law just bought a 2011 Edge Limited with all the bells and whistles. Since then I have been pulling my hair out... I am the family tech support for anything computer or electronic so it's up to me to teach her how to use all the bells and whistles and configure everything. I am about to head off to one of the other sub-forums to start searching for some answers and maybe post a question or two.

I hope this site is as good as other forums I use and all my questions get answered. I have a feeling I might be here looking for answers often since the Ford site has so little information on it.

Just as an FYI...

I am looking for details on adding contacts to the phone book if the phone will not sync the information, and how to update the maps in the navigation since they over 5 years out of date and don't have the streets that we live on. Apparently the sync voice nav has the address but the maps on the SD card does not. If we can't upgrade to newer maps then I am not sure if the NAV unit is not worth the $700.00 that my MIL paid.

You know... I have never been a Ford fan but really started to change my mind while going with my MIL to test drive cars. We actually enjoyed the ride of the Edge better than the Lincoln MKX and since the Sync system was the same there was not much of a loss. But after she bought it then we started to run into issues. We have the dealer telling us that we can sync her phone and then download her contact list using SyncMyRide.com. I eventually find a list of supported phones and her phone is supported and apparently does the contact downloads but it never works when we try it. So, I head over to the sync site and when I get there and find that there are no options to update the phone book through the web site so I open a chat window with a customer support rep.

He tells me I have to use an app called SyncMyRide and sends me a link to the site where I can download it. What a crap application! I spent 6 hours formatting data and trying to figure out how to import a CSV and then cleaning up what it finally did import. My MIL showed up today and I tried to install the contacts into the phone book. After getting errors a couple times and then trying to reformat the USB drive and re-export the contact list, I go back to the site to find in the user to user forums that the application will not work with 2011 Fords. Man... So I figured that while I tried to figure out what to do I would manually enter a few contacts into the phone book to only find that it appears you can't manually enter contacts into the phone book from the dash board screen.

This and a few other things are starting to make me think that I am correct in not "trusting" Ford vehicles. I hope that I can get the issues resolved soon... My MIL might be wanting to return the Edge if she can't do the things she was told she could do.

Oh well... I am off on a search to see if I can find answers to my questions.

Tim

Easiest solution to me ... get her a new phone. How the hell can you drive one of the, if not the absolutely, most technically advanced Ford available now and carry a feature phone?

Tell her like this: "You have a smart car, why do you have a dumb phone?"

You can afford a $40k car... a $200 phone is nothing. Problem solved, life improved. :rockon:

BTW... I had a hard time reading since MIL to me (in a car forum) usually means Malfunction Indicator Lamp (Check Engine)... not your problem, just something I deal with.

Edited by cal3thousand