Text messaging add-on

I picked up my 2011 Edge Sport this weekend and so far.. I love it. The dealer told me that to use the text message text-to-voice for incoming texts, I must obtain something from my carrier (AT&T, I have an iPhone). Is anyone using this feature, and if so.. what did you need to buy and how is it installed?

I picked up my 2011 Edge Sport this weekend and so far.. I love it. The dealer told me that to use the text message text-to-voice for incoming texts, I must obtain something from my carrier (AT&T, I have an iPhone). Is anyone using this feature, and if so.. what did you need to buy and how is it installed?

Not possible. The iPhone itself must support the proper bluetooth protocol which it does not. You'd need a new iOS upgrade that includes that bluetooth feature. Has nothing to do with the carrier or the vehicle.

Not possible. The iPhone itself must support the proper bluetooth protocol which it does not. You'd need a new iOS upgrade that includes that bluetooth feature. Has nothing to do with the carrier or the vehicle.

I have the newest iPhone with the newest software. Haven't received a text message while driving yet, so don't know if it works. Can anyone out there with an iPhone 4 and an '11 Edge tell me if the current iPhone iOS supports this function?

I have the newest iPhone with the newest software. Haven't received a text message while driving yet, so don't know if it works. Can anyone out there with an iPhone 4 and an '11 Edge tell me if the current iPhone iOS supports this function?

Sadly NO I have an '11 Edge Limited and text support or even alerting is not possible. Hopefully in the future

No, Larry it doesn't. I should have been more clear - Apple would have to add this to a future version of iOS to enable it. The current version does not have it.

Also - you accidentally created two identical topics so I closed the other one.

I think Ford's advertisement of this feature is a little misleading - no take that back - a lot misleading. The compatible phone list only shows 3 'never been heard of phones' that have this capability. Why not the more popular phones like iphone and blackberry. What's missing here? Who needs to pick up the gauntlet on this one. The phone carriers? If so, as cutting edge as they are, why haven't they?

I think Ford's advertisement of this feature is a little misleading - no take that back - a lot misleading. The compatible phone list only shows 3 'never been heard of phones' that have this capability. Why not the more popular phones like iphone and blackberry. What's missing here? Who needs to pick up the gauntlet on this one. The phone carriers? If so, as cutting edge as they are, why haven't they?

There is a "*phone dependent feature" everywhere I see. They went a step ahead of every phone maker adding that Bluethoot profile. If phone developers and makers don't have added it yet to their respective phones, it is something that need to be blamed on them. Can't complain to Ford about this. And it is not a carrier issue either. Apple and Blackberry are the ones that need to put their programmers to work to support it. Hopefully next iOS will support it.

• 3 weeks later...

Edited by AGENT23

HEY DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET TEXT NOTIFICATIONS VIA THE SYNC SYSTEM ON A 2011 EDGE SPORT? I HAVE A DROID X AND AT FIRST I WAS RECEIVING THE NOTIFICATIONS BUT NOW IT STATES THAT I HAVE NO NEW TEXT WHEN I JUST RECEIVED ONE. IS THERE SOMTHING ELSE I NEED TO DO BESIDES PAIRING MY PHONE?

i agree. And most find all this only after they have purchased the car.