pricing questions

ziggy86

I am starting my research on the Ford Edge and looked at the Edmunds site for pricing, never used it before.

After submitting the vehicle and options Iwant I get a True market value price which shows $32,671 and a dealer came back with a price of 32,071. does anyone know if this price (True market value) takes into consideration the rebates and incentives

I am starting my research on the Ford Edge and looked at the Edmunds site for pricing, never used it before.

After submitting the vehicle and options Iwant I get a True market value price which shows $32,671 and a dealer came back with a price of 32,071. does anyone know if this price (True market value) takes into consideration the rebates and incentives

I think it does, however you have to understand that rebates and other incentives can vary widely by zip code, as do supply and demand. There is no need to use TMV. Just get the dealer invoice price for your vehicle the way you want it configured (including destination) and add $500. This will be very very close to the actual dealer invoice price. Now subtract any incentives and that's your starting price. Normal vehicles can usually be bought for no more than $500 over invoice. A really really popular vehicle in short supply might go for MSRP. The Edge would be somewhere in between based on local supply and demand. $1000 over invoice would be a reasonable price. Make sure to ask about the documentation fee - that's just additional dealer profit and needs to be added in when doing comparisons.

I suggest you figure out which model and packages you want, then call dealerships and ask for the sales mgr. Tell him/her what you want and ask how much over invoice they want for it. Any good sales mgr will tell you immediately ($500, $750, $1000, $2000, etc.) then ask about the doc fee. Do that to all the dealers in the area and you're done shopping. Any sales mgr that won't tell you isn't worth doing business with.

You can also try to get a X plan pin from a Ford employee. That gives you a guaranteed price around $100 over invoice plus a $100 doc fee. You may not get a pin right now but the employees get 4 more in January. There is a forum on blue oval forums just for pin requests.

I think it does, however you have to understand that rebates and other incentives can vary widely by zip code, as do supply and demand. There is no need to use TMV. Just get the dealer invoice price for your vehicle the way you want it configured (including destination) and add $500. This will be very very close to the actual dealer invoice price. Now subtract any incentives and that's your starting price. Normal vehicles can usually be bought for no more than $500 over invoice. A really really popular vehicle in short supply might go for MSRP. The Edge would be somewhere in between based on local supply and demand. $1000 over invoice would be a reasonable price. Make sure to ask about the documentation fee - that's just additional dealer profit and needs to be added in when doing comparisons.

I suggest you figure out which model and packages you want, then call dealerships and ask for the sales mgr. Tell him/her what you want and ask how much over invoice they want for it. Any good sales mgr will tell you immediately ($500, $750, $1000, $2000, etc.) then ask about the doc fee. Do that to all the dealers in the area and you're done shopping. Any sales mgr that won't tell you isn't worth doing business with.

You can also try to get a X plan pin from a Ford employee. That gives you a guaranteed price around $100 over invoice plus a $100 doc fee. You may not get a pin right now but the employees get 4 more in January. There is a forum on blue oval forums just for pin requests.

S0 let me understand, I should figure out the invoice price then subtract the rebate and add $500?

Every dealer that we went to gave us a quote of invoice, minus rebates ..

We finally settled for :

200 under invoice

minus 1500 rebates

minus 750 from Ford that we got for asking for information on line.

all this came out to 2450 under invoice..

this was for a SEL

S0 let me understand, I should figure out the invoice price then subtract the rebate and add $500?

Get the dealer invoice including destination, add $500 to account for the advertising fee and that gives you close to the actual dealer invoice.

Then subtract all available rebates.

That's what the dealer pays for the car not including the holdback. It would be rare to get it below invoice. Even if they say it's below invoice they'll usually add doc fees and other fees or they'll short the trade-in to make up the difference.