New 2011 Edge - BROKEN!

urdunn69

Hello everyone - Just signed up! I am the recent purchaser of a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. Picked it up last Thursday after waiting for a custom order from the factory. Drove it less than one hour and started having problems. The vehicle was returned on Tuesday to the dealer (after the long Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada) and they have had it ever since!

The screeens freeze up - and then i have no controls whatsoever - even the radio and HVAC controls! Sometimes if you shut it down and re-start, somethings will come back - other times it will not. Some times i have voice control...sometimes not.

the dealer called me and said 'its ready' - i went and picked it up. Drove it literally less than 15' and the thing when out again.

As of tonight, i am still in a rental car (a Dodge Ram no less ???), and they say they are not getting any results from the 'help line', so they are going forward with ordering a new Sync module to try.

What do you think? anyone have any experience yet with this issue or suggestions?

Hello everyone - Just signed up! I am the recent purchaser of a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. Picked it up last Thursday after waiting for a custom order from the factory. Drove it less than one hour and started having problems. The vehicle was returned on Tuesday to the dealer (after the long Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada) and they have had it ever since!

The screeens freeze up - and then i have no controls whatsoever - even the radio and HVAC controls! Sometimes if you shut it down and re-start, somethings will come back - other times it will not. Some times i have voice control...sometimes not.

the dealer called me and said 'its ready' - i went and picked it up. Drove it literally less than 15' and the thing when out again.

As of tonight, i am still in a rental car (a Dodge Ram no less ???), and they say they are not getting any results from the 'help line', so they are going forward with ordering a new Sync module to try.

What do you think? anyone have any experience yet with this issue or suggestions?

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I have an 11 MKX on order. I pray I will have no problems with it. I had a 2004 FX35 that was problem free for almost 7 years.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I have an 11 MKX on order. I pray I will have no problems with it. I had a 2004 FX35 that was problem free for almost 7 years.

I hope all is well for you too! I came out of a 2008 Ford Sport Trac Adreneline and it was trouble free for the eintire time I had it. The previous one was a 2007 Ford Sport Trac Limited - and other than one defect, it was also trouble free. So I have had good luck, but this time - i dont know. I am very worried that I made a wrong choice.

I hope all is well for you too! I came out of a 2008 Ford Sport Trac Adreneline and it was trouble free for the eintire time I had it. The previous one was a 2007 Ford Sport Trac Limited - and other than one defect, it was also trouble free. So I have had good luck, but this time - i dont know. I am very worried that I made a wrong choice.

I think this is the first full sync module replacement that I have heard of. I am hearing more good with a few unfortunate duds. All of the duds seem to be having different reasons for being duds, so it seems more good than bad. Good luck and keep us informed.

I think this is the first full sync module replacement that I have heard of. I am hearing more good with a few unfortunate duds. All of the duds seem to be having different reasons for being duds, so it seems more good than bad. Good luck and keep us informed.

So far, i agree with you - I have been hearing much more positive than negative - so that certainly is encouragement! I am looking forward to getting an update from the dealer on Monday.

Cant wait to get out of this rental Doge Ram pick-up - certainly not what I want to be driving!

I will keep everyone up to date.

GOT THE RIG BACK!

Picked it up yesterday. They replaced the Sync module. I have already noticed a dramatic difference in the response time from when you touch the screen until you get a reaction! Dramatic improovement! The entier system is faster. Drove it all day today and everything works...

BUT

I still have a couple issues i think. The phone screen on the dash often doesnt update...nor does the i pod music selection on either screen. it will one one start, but the next start up it may not. Not sure about this one.

I will try a few more things and see how it goes! But so far much better - just not perfect yet.

GOT THE RIG BACK!

Picked it up yesterday. They replaced the Sync module. I have already noticed a dramatic difference in the response time from when you touch the screen until you get a reaction! Dramatic improovement! The entier system is faster. Drove it all day today and everything works...

BUT

I still have a couple issues i think. The phone screen on the dash often doesnt update...nor does the i pod music selection on either screen. it will one one start, but the next start up it may not. Not sure about this one.

I will try a few more things and see how it goes! But so far much better - just not perfect yet.

Good to hear your major issue was fixed!!! Those other issues will hopefully go away with an update. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR HOT NEW RIDE!!!

OH DEAR...

I am so upset. All the good news i shared and the good feelings I had about having the car back have been taken away! Less than 24 hours after getting it back for the 3rd time, the various systems begain failing again. Until today...when all went dead once again.

I drove it to the dealer and the manager saw that things were not working...I didnt even have heat! I am back into a rental car...and the dealer said they dont know what they are going to do other than to get on the phone with Ford on Monday.

This vehicle has been in the dealer more than it has been in my driveway. Even if it is fixed, I am now afraid to take my family very far from the dealer.

What do all of you think I should do? I am so disappointed. Should I ask for another truck at this point?

Help!

OH DEAR...

I am so upset. All the good news i shared and the good feelings I had about having the car back have been taken away! Less than 24 hours after getting it back for the 3rd time, the various systems begain failing again. Until today...when all went dead once again.

I drove it to the dealer and the manager saw that things were not working...I didnt even have heat! I am back into a rental car...and the dealer said they dont know what they are going to do other than to get on the phone with Ford on Monday.

This vehicle has been in the dealer more than it has been in my driveway. Even if it is fixed, I am now afraid to take my family very far from the dealer.

What do all of you think I should do? I am so disappointed. Should I ask for another truck at this point?

Help!

Definitely, YES!

OH DEAR...

Help!

I'd be going as far up the food chain at Ford that you can. Place a call to the president of Ford Canada. Make a lot of noise. Squeaky wheels get the grease...

Hey folks - thanks for the support. I think that this is exactly what I will do first thing on Monday. I am going to start with the owner of the dealer and see what they do first...but i certainly am going to write to Ford directly. There must be some contact informaiton somewhere on the net that will get my e-mail into the 'right' hands near the top of Ford.

Anyone have any 'inside' information?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks - thanks for the support. I think that this is exactly what I will do first thing on Monday. I am going to start with the owner of the dealer and see what they do first...but i certainly am going to write to Ford directly. There must be some contact informaiton somewhere on the net that will get my e-mail into the 'right' hands near the top of Ford.

Anyone have any 'inside' information?

I have not been on for a while...but the problems have not gone away. The vehicle is back again at the dealer, and i am now being told that Ford knows there is an issue, however, they do not have a fix. The dealer is telling me that now that i have had the vehicle back 4 times for the same issue in less than one month, they are keeping me in a rental until Ford has a resolution. He went on to tell me that if it is any more than 2 weeks they are looking at taking it back for good and putting me in another new vehicle.

No details on that just yet...but it sounds as though Frod has a huge issue on its hands!

Anyone else have more info?

This is bad really news. I hoped to order my AWD LTD in February. Not a chance now until I hear that this issues has been permanently fixed. My 08 lease is up soon and although I am not fond of the lighting IP. The "old fashioned" analog gauges never failed, neither has anything else for that fact. I dont need problems ( who does right). Count me out, what a shame.

This is bad really news. I hoped to order my AWD LTD in February. Not a chance now until I hear that this issues has been permanently fixed. My 08 lease is up soon and although I am not fond of the lighting IP. The "old fashioned" analog gauges never failed, neither has anything else for that fact. I dont need problems ( who does right). Count me out, what a shame.

Well the Ford folks have put a considerable investment into this platform, as it is the foundation for several vehicles moving forward - so they have no choice to not only fix it, but fix it right with those that have had issues. With a number of people out there saying 'bad things' about this new platform, they could have a serious PR nightmare on thier hands. I dont think they will let that happen.

It could be such a good product - I still sincerely hope they not only fix it - but look after all owners.

What do you think they should do to make good?

• 1 month later...

urdone, I really hope things work out for you but am afraid it's going to be a while before Ford gets this all worked out. I realize Ford is working on it - but the bottom line is they released a "Not Ready for Prime Time" system (Ford MyTouch) and we are all paying the price. Yes my 2011 Edge Limited's MyTouch has all kinds of small glitches, (rear view camara acts up/stays on in drive/scrolls like an old bw TV, the Nav/SD system never has worked from day 1, sometimes the blue screens stay on, response time is slow/kludgy, I have never been able to set the time or date and have it stay accurate for more than an hour, etc. But at least most of the important controls work most of the time so I'm in no hurry to install a "patch" (sw update) that may do more harm than good. It's downright scary speaking with my LFD's so called "Mytouch expert" as after 4 weeks of ownership I know much more about this system than they do. When I mentioned the sw update that Ford has out now for MyTouch, my service mgr. and MyTouch expert had no idea and looked at me as if I was from Mars...this is such a complicated system - I don't really trust my LFD to be working on it.....I ran into my sales guy and he asked me how I was liking the new Mytouch system...when I told him the 1st gen Synch and DVD based Nav in my '09 Platinum (F150) was much better/more reliable, he couldn't believe it....I challenged both him and the Dealer MyTouch expert to just take 5 mins and Google "Problems with MyTouch" and they might better understand what they are selling...doubt either will take the time to do so though...

Ford has bet a lot on this new technology and I do believe they will (eventually) address the issues, but it's going to be trial and error for a long time to come and I'm betting the 2012's (or even late release 2011's) have MyTouch systems with significantly less functionality than our 2011's. I was so excited about this new Edge (the ride, comfort, etc. is outstanding) that I ignored a basic truth "never buy the first year of an extensively updated model"...many glitches to be worked out and if Ford was looking for Beta Testers they should have warned us and discounted the price of the vehicles for the inconvenience...after all I don't think it's unreasonalble to expect a new vehicle to do what it is supposed to do....just my .02......

Edited by HotLap

urdone, I really hope things work out for you but am afraid it's going to be a while before Ford gets this all worked out. I realize Ford is working on it - but the bottom line is they released a "Not Ready for Prime Time" system (Ford MyTouch) and we are all paying the price. Yes my 2011 Edge Limited's MyTouch has all kinds of small glitches, (rear view camara acts up/stays on in drive/scrolls like an old bw TV, the Nav/SD system never has worked from day 1, sometimes the blue screens stay on, response time is slow/kludgy, I have never been able to set the time or date and have it stay accurate for more than an hour, etc. But at least most of the important controls work most of the time so I'm in no hurry to install a "patch" (sw update) that may do more harm than good. It's downright scary speaking with my LFD's so called "Mytouch expert" as after 4 weeks of ownership I know much more about this system than they do. When I mentioned the sw update that Ford has out now for MyTouch, my service mgr. and MyTouch expert had no idea and looked at me as if I was from Mars...this is such a complicated system - I don't really trust my LFD to be working on it.....I ran into my sales guy and he asked me how I was liking the new Mytouch system...when I told him the 1st gen Synch and DVD based Nav in my '09 Platinum (F150) was much better/more reliable, he couldn't believe it....I challenged both him and the Dealer MyTouch expert to just take 5 mins and Google "Problems with MyTouch" and they might better understand what they are selling...doubt either will take the time to do so though...

Ford has bet a lot on this new technology and I do believe they will (eventually) address the issues, but it's going to be trial and error for a long time to come and I'm betting the 2012's (or even late release 2011's) have MyTouch systems with significantly less functionality than our 2011's. I was so excited about this new Edge (the ride, comfort, etc. is outstanding) that I ignored a basic truth "never buy the first year of an extensively updated model"...many glitches to be worked out and if Ford was looking for Beta Testers they should have warned us and discounted the price of the vehicles for the inconvenience...after all I don't think it's unreasonalble to expect a new vehicle to do what it is supposed to do....just my .02......

I don't think it's quite that simple. There are many 2011 Edges that are working perfectly or only have minor issues. One dealer sold 200 of them and only had one come back in with a problem. Unfortunately some of the ones with problems have BIG problems and Ford definitely dropped the ball on getting the software update to the dealers and into the vehicle.

Someone mentioned the fact that the software is loaded using wi-fi on the assembly line and that maybe the software was loaded incorrectly or corrupted. This would explain why it only affects some vehicles and reloading the new software fixes most of the major problems.

Greetings from Texas. My wife and I just bought a 2011 Edge Limited and we LOVE it. We were looking at the Equinox but the ride, features and price of the Edge made the choice a no brainer. I picked the Edge up Saturday and have driven it just under 400 miles so far and have not experienced any issues. (Knock on wood). I hope all that are experiences issues get them resolved quickly.