Can cruise control be affected by TPMS fault?

2010 limited

I recently bought a 2010 Ford Edge Limited and thought that the factory painted alloy wheels (18") were to plain ..... so, I replaced them with Fast Element 18" chrome finish rims, but didn't realize that the TPMS sensors were banded style sensors so I left them installed to the OEM rims (decided to keep them for winter wheels). Since doing this I have a indicator light that appears in the instrument panel along with a fault message. Also I cant use the cruise control because it won't turn on. Did TPMS fault code that I created from not using TPMS sensors in my aftermarket wheels cause my cruise control system not to work?

p.s. I am going to put new TPMS sensors in my wheels - I'm searching for cheaper sensors and bands

I recently bought a 2010 Ford Edge Limited and thought that the factory painted alloy wheels (18") were to plain ..... so, I replaced them with Fast Element 18" chrome finish rims, but didn't realize that the TPMS sensors were banded style sensors so I left them installed to the OEM rims (decided to keep them for winter wheels). Since doing this I have a indicator light that appears in the instrument panel along with a fault message. Also I cant use the cruise control because it won't turn on. Did TPMS fault code that I created from not using TPMS sensors in my aftermarket wheels cause my cruise control system not to work?

p.s. I am going to put new TPMS sensors in my wheels - I'm searching for cheaper sensors and bands

Hi 2010 Limited. :D While experience teaches that almost anything is "possible", a lack of TPMS sensors on the wheels should not affect the use of the cruise control system.

Additionally, not to ask a stupid question, but are you sure you are using the cruise control properly? Have you checked the Owners Manual to be sure you are attempting to set it correctly? I do not mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but we have seen these types of problems sometimes being attributable to simple "user error" in the past.

Bottom line is that you should take your Edge in for service to determine what the problem is caused by. And to avoid any Warranty related problems, just verify that the new wheels are sized correctly before doing so.

You may even want to reinstall the factory wheels first to see if it has any effect on the problem. It should not, but one never knows sometimes.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - And just to reiterate: I truly do not meant to insult your intelligence by asking any of the above questions. Remember, we can not know how knowledgeable anyone else may be (or not be) with the limited information we get in short posts on the Internet.

On my 2007 my winter tires did not have the sensors installed. I wanted new rims and at Can$250 I opted not to have them. Thus i have the annoying dash warning light all through the winter, but you do get used to it. Back to your question, the light being on and the absence of the senders had NO effect on the cruise. Just hope Ford Engineers have not made another improvement where the two are connected. I know they have made one so called improvement with the remote start. Right PITA it is.

• 3 weeks later...

On my 2007 my winter tires did not have the sensors installed. I wanted new rims and at Can$250 I opted not to have them. Thus i have the annoying dash warning light all through the winter, but you do get used to it. Back to your question, the light being on and the absence of the senders had NO effect on the cruise. Just hope Ford Engineers have not made another improvement where the two are connected. I know they have made one so called improvement with the remote start. Right PITA it is.

I would like to say that the TPMS fault from not having TPMS sensors didn't have anything to do with my cruise control not working ....... that was drivers error, I was looking for an indicator light to come on in my instrument panel when I pushed the on/off button ....... this vehicles indicator light only comes on when a speed is set ........ how embarrassing ....... new vehicle I guess ...... and was used to my old Dodge's indicator light ...... and in the end I'm happy it works ...... whats the saying different strokes for different folks .......

Thanks for the posting. Dont feel too bad. I had a VW Passat before the Edge where the cruise worked as per your Dodge and I went through exactly the same exercise you did. I suspect there are many more of us out there than will admit

I still don't understand why you need to turn cruise control ON every time. Is there ever a situation where you DON'T want the cruise on and available?

I still don't understand why you need to turn cruise control ON every time. Is there ever a situation where you DON'T want the cruise on and available?

There are plenty of drivers out there for whom the cruise control is a high tech device well beyond their level of comprehension. Were they to accidentally brush the set button, they would have no idea why their car doesn't slow down when they let off the gas. Lawsuits would abound. Forcing people to press the on button eliminates the chance of accidental activation.

There are plenty of drivers out there for whom the cruise control is a high tech device well beyond their level of comprehension. Were they to accidentally brush the set button, they would have no idea why their car doesn't slow down when they let off the gas. Lawsuits would abound. Forcing people to press the on button eliminates the chance of accidental activation.

Sounds like darwin award candidates to me. But yeah, I get it.