Stability Control Issue

jwbsc1

I am new to the forum. I have a 2007 Edge with 60K+ miles that I purchased new.

I have been pleased with the vehicle and and am now encountering my first issue.

The stability control activates intermittently on left turns - on take off it cuts off the motor,

and on braking into left turn you can feel and hear the brakes adjust.

Anyone have any ideas or know where I can find a good maintenance manual.

It sounds as if there may be a wheel speed sensor that is not reading correctly unfortunately you will need a scan tool capable of getting into the abs system to see if this is the case or not. Do you have any automotive repair experience??

I am very confident in my mechanical abilities. Automotive computer controls on the other hand not as confident. Could you recommend a good scan tool for diagnosing sensors and controls. I have a code reader but that just gives you a system to diagnose. Although in my stability control issue no DTC codes are set. The computer only believes the car is slipping

and corrects - then all seems well again. If I disable the stability control there is no issues.

What condition are the tires? Have you recently replaced just one or two so that they don't all have the same tread depth?

The original tires had to be replaced at 36K and the current set has 24k and already wearing out but side to side tread is even, the tires on the rear have less tread than the front due to not rotating for the first 20K.

With no codes set (no cluster lights on) a scan tool isn't going to tell you anything. Simplest test would be to swap wheel speed sensors from left to right and see if your problem becomse right turns. The other component to check would be the steering wheel angle sensor, though I don't know what you would actually check.