New key type

I'd love to see your points sheet, if you're going to do it.

nothing special really, just cut and paste about how to cut and then flip and cut again is an option, taking out key blade from unit, and just overall proof to a cutter it can be cut. just gives me ammo if someone says it cannot be done as it seems many cutters say that, but then when they cut it, it works fine.

I might have solved your light issue!

take the battery cover out and remove the motherboard/battery unit. when you flip it over, press the 4 buttons and see if they actuate the little green LED dead center of the mother board. if they do, then here is the issue as you know your bulb works. at the top of the motherboard, facing the key, is some sort of magnet looking (but not magnet) metal feeling "spacer" for lack of a better word. it seems, if that is just a hair to tall, you can actuate the buttons, but not enough force to signal the bulb to fire as it is to tall and adds to much space between the rubber outer button cover and the actual button on the motherboard. so, grind that down a tab bit at a time and put it back in until you have ground down just enough to press the buttons and actuate the light. it takes very little to grind off, we are talking a hair thick, but that seems to be enough.

I stumbeled across this accidentally when I took mine apart and that spacer piece fell out. I glued it back on and the light would not actuate when put back together. I suspected the little bit of glue and maybe not exact precise placement was causing the door to shut but still be a tab bit far away from the motherboard so you are not getting good button contact. enough to work, but not enough to trigger the light.

let me know.

Thanks! Makes sense. I'll try it when I get home!

• 2 weeks later...

got new transponder, got it programmed... good to go.

I like the new key/gadget. quality is as good as my VW key, better than expected actually. does not feel cheap. design is a little square and blocky and bigger than it needs to be (you know this by opening it up and a good deal of wasted space and plastic can be seen). I like that the center bulb lights up as it is just a visual indicator. I actually like the button layout a bit better as it makes a little more sense than the Ford key. my only 1 concern will be how long the "paint" icons will stay on the rubber buttons. not sure they will even wear off, but it is the only thing that I might consider suspect - but I could be totally wrong. just "looks" like it "might" wear off in time.

I would buy again.

got new transponder, got it programmed... good to go.

I like the new key/gadget. quality is as good as my VW key, better than expected actually. does not feel cheap. design is a little square and blocky and bigger than it needs to be (you know this by opening it up and a good deal of wasted space and plastic can be seen). I like that the center bulb lights up as it is just a visual indicator. I actually like the button layout a bit better as it makes a little more sense than the Ford key. my only 1 concern will be how long the "paint" icons will stay on the rubber buttons. not sure they will even wear off, but it is the only thing that I might consider suspect - but I could be totally wrong. just "looks" like it "might" wear off in time.

I would buy again.

Glad you like it. Mine is 4 months old. Some minor wear on the icons, otherwise works great.. Re: the light, my circuit board does not have one!? Not a big deal, but perhaps the board was upgraded. I would also buy again. It is a great value.

• 3 months later...

Ordered a 4 button flip key. It took about a week to arrive from Taiwan. Went to Lowes to get it cut. Although they admitted that their machine would technically be able to cut this key, they refused becaused it was an encrypted key. Took it to my local Ford dealer the next day and they cut it for free. Works great!

Only downside is the range is longer with this key and I accidentally set off the panic alarm from all the way in the back of the house. With the OEM key, I have to be within a few feet. Now, I need to be extra careful about accidentally unlocking the car or opening the tailgate while fumbling for stuff in my pockets.