I have a 2021 Edge SEL, and I only have a reverse camera. I was able to use the camera washer for the first time today by pressing the camera button to show the rear camera, then used the lever to clean the rear window. Washer fluid also came out of thee camera washer. My question is that is it necessary to be viewing the camera for it to be cleaned, or will the camera be cleaned any time the rear window washer is activated? Will washer fluid always be pumped to the rear windshield and camera at the same time? Here is what I was able to find:

Windshield Washer

When the wiper/washer switch is activated, the SCCM sends the washer request to the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly over the LIN. The windshield wash relay is internal to the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly. When the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly activates the internal windshield wash relay, voltage is provided to the washer pump, directing washer fluid to the windshield. If equipped with a front camera, washer solvent is also directed to the front camera lens when the washer pump is active. When the switch is released, the windshield wiper motors will continue to activate for 3 additional wipes and then turn off.

Ground for the washer pump is provided through the rear window washer relay located within the BJB.

Rear Window Washer

When the rear window washer switch is activated, the SCCM sends the request to the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly through the LIN. The driver side windshield wiper motor assembly energizes the rear washer relay (located in the BJB) and activates the rear window wiper motor. When the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly activates the rear window wash relay, voltage is provided to the washer pump, directing washer fluid to the rear window. When the switch is released, the rear window wiper motor continues to operate for 3 additional wipes and then turns off.

It sprays whenever you use the rear washer, it doesn't need to be in reverse. I have had not much luck getting it to work on my 2019 though. The 2019 owners manual has information on it, but the 2021+ owners manual skips over it (they removed the front camera washer so maybe they mistakenly removed details for the rear one, but also not many details on using the rear washer either for the rear window).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabangsta said:

The 2019 owners manual has information on it, but the 2021+ owners manual skips over it (they removed the front camera washer so maybe they mistakenly removed details for the rear one, but also not many details on using the rear washer either for the rear window).

The owner's manuals are such a mess these days. One example can be seen in the F-150 lightning owner's manual, where it mentions a remote park adjust feature, yet that doesn't exist.