Parasitic battery drain - fuse 18

GTP091

2011 edge failed to start yesterday. First time ever it left my wife stranded. I boosted it with my f150. The interior seems to be acting a little weird with lights on and things not turning on and off as they should. It does go to sleep but the car seems to have a kind of its own.  I ran the gauntlet tonight to test for parasitic drain. Found I had .15 amps of drain or 150milliamps. Found that fuse # 18 was the issue. This seem to be an important one. When it’s pulled the interior seems to be relatively dead with only half of things turning on. This makes me think the BCM is bad? Any there things to check out? Can ford easily test this? I’d just hate to buy a replacement only to find it wasn’t the issue.

image.jpg

Edited by GTP091

Are you sure it is a parasitic drain that killed the battery, and not just the battery is weak? I know that you see .05-.085 amps as the limit for cars drain to be an issue, unless it has sat for 2 weeks, I don't think it would kill it over night.

Many group 65 batteries (guessing on the high end, since it can have a group 65 or 59, depending on push button start/intelligent access) has a reserve capacity of 150 minutes (so it can deliver 25 amps for 150 minutes before reaching 10.5 volts). which would be more than 17 days of a .15 amp draw.

Posted (edited)

I see your point. The battery is only a couple years old and it just seems rather sudden to go from no symptoms to suddenly dead. From what I’ve read the drain was out of spec.  It seemed low to me and I’m also skeptical. Changing the battery is certainly the easiest option. I can change a timing set on a triton engine but electrical issues piss me right off. 

Edited by GTP091
  • Haha 1

man im having a similar issue with parasitic drain. I pulled the fuses to determine a draw was coming from #18 interior fuse box and #69 exterior under engine bay. One thing that i noticed is a high pitch frequency ringing under the hood while the vehicle is off and key is out. naturally, when i took it to the mechanic the meter showed no draw and the high pitch sound couldnt be replicated. in my video you will hear the high pitch sound that i believe may be the problem. this may also help the OP to narrow down their draw issues.

sorry for video quality, i had to reduce the size. im just off to the side of the bottom of the battery.