2017 UK Export Right Hand Drive Edge 2.0L Duratorq TDCi Diesel - Steering Locked with DTC U0131:00-AB Lost Communication With Power Steering Control Module (PSCM)

Haz

Welcome to the Forum @Ryan UK Edge 2017!

I understand from our Forum messaging that the new-to-you 2017 Edge presently is exhibiting locked steering with a scanner-revealed DTC U0131, indicating lost communication with the EPAS Steering Gear's Power Steering Control Module (PSCM).

Your Edge's vehicle history shows a related-repair effort recorded in Ford's Professional Technician System (PTS) in February 2024, about which you will eventually seek additional local feedback.

In the meantime, because of your personal technical capability and your need to move your Edge to a safer location, attached below and in an immediately following post are Workshop Manual and Wiring references in PDF format, to assist you toward fully diagnosis and possible correction of your Edge's locked steering...

Power Steering - Vehicles With Active Steering - Overview - 2017 Edge UK Workshop Module.pdf Power Steering - Vehicles With Active Steering - System Operation and Component Description - 2017 Edge UK Workshop Manual.pdf Module Configuration - Operation and Description - 2017 Edge UK Workshop Manual.pdf Steering Gear - Removal and Installation - 2017 Edge UK Workshop Manual.pdf Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) - Wiring Diagram - 2017 Edge UK.pdf Active (Adaptive) Steering - Steering Angle & Effort Control Modules - Wiring Diagram - 2017 Edge UK.pdf Battery Junction Box (BJB) - Top View Illustration - Showing Fuse-Relay-Connector Locations - 2017 Edge UK.pdf Battery Junction Box (BJB) - Bottom View Illustration - Showing Fuse-Relay-Connector Locations - 2017 Edge UK.pdf Battery Junction Box (BJB) - High Current Illustration - Showing Protected Circuits & Fuse Locations - 2017 Edge UK.pdf Battery Junction Box (BJB) - Fuse-Circuits Legend 1 - 2017 Edge UK.pdf Battery Junction Box (BJB) - Fuse-Circuits Legend 2 - 2017 Edge UK.pdf BJB-High Current BJB - Location - 2017 Edge UK.pdf Diagnostic Pinpoint Test F - Lost Communication With PSCM Concern - 2017 Edge North America Workshop Manual.pdf EPAS - DTC & Symptoms Charts With Pinpoint Test Titles Listing - 2017 Edge North America Workshop Manual.pdf EPAS Steering Gear - Enhanced Illustration - 2017 Edge UK Workshop Manual.pdf POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE (PSCM) - Connector 1463A Circuit-Pin Details - 2017 Edge UK.pdf POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE (PSCM) - Connector 1463B Circuit-Pin Details - 2017 Edge UK.pdf POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE (PSCM) - Connector 1463B Location - 2017 Edge.pdf

• Like 2

Because the earlier repair effort involved the PSCM connector(s), you may want to examine them to ensure they are fully seated on the Steering Gear-mounted Module.

If they are fully seated, disconnect them and inspect for corrosion and/or for any pins that may have become pushed back inside the connector, and which could cause lost communication with the PSCM.

If subsequent scans reveal DTCs involving other modules, let me know here, and I'll provide additional Pinpoint Tests, which may involve checking circuit wiring for shorts or interruptions -- which the past repair efforts may have been pursuing.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Haz said:

Because the earlier repair effort involved the PSCM connector(s), you may want to examine them to ensure they are fully seated on the Steering Gear-mounted Module.

If they are fully seated, disconnect them and inspect for corrosion and/or for any pins that may have become pushed back inside the connector, and which could cause lost communication with the PSCM.

If subsequent scans reveal DTCs involving other modules, let me know here, and I'll provide additional Pinpoint Tests, which may involve checking circuit wiring for shorts or interruptions -- which the past repair efforts may have been pursuing.

Good luck!

Haz 

when can you fly to the uk lol 

You will need at least a temporarily licensed copy of Forscan to reprogram a new PSCM with the appropriate As-Built data, which you can either copy from the currently installed PSCM, or verify that the PSCM contains the programing values shown in the As-Built Reprograming Data listing that I provided via Forum messaging. If you refer to the Module Configuration Workshop Manual document, the numerical line address for the PSCM will be shown in the table of various modules.

Regarding a PSCM part number, I have not yet been able to find a replacement part number listed. I'm aware that the Steering Gear Removal and Installation Workshop Manual document indicates the PSCM provided with a new Steering Gear assembly must be appropriately programed with As-Built values obtained from the prior PSCM before it is removed. To me, this indicates the PSCM is provided in the assembly (PIA) replacing the faulty Steering Gear. On the other hand, one of the diagnostic procedures indicates "Replace the PSCM" as if the module can be separately obtained and is replaceable on the Steering Gear assembly, but again, I've not found a Service part number for the PSCM.

Working from illustrations and based upon the depicted connector receptacles, I expect the PSCM is located in the area bounded by red arrows here...

SteeringGearAssemblyexplodedviewillustrationwredarrowshighlightinglikelyPSCMlocation.jpg.cab2a892359f441eafdc3b6402654b16.jpgetho

The full view of this cropped illustration is zoomable and scrollable using your web browser here.

Neither the UK nor the North American Edge Workshop Manuals include any PSCM removal and installation procedure, which is unusual.

If your diagnostic effort indicates PSCM replacement, then hopefully, inspecting your Edge's Steering Gear may yield a part number stickered or printed on its PSCM, along with some obvious module-mounting fasteners. Lacking Workshop Manual guidance, the question remains of how the PSCM interfaces with the Steering Gear assembly -- unless it's only via the laterally installed harness shown in the Steering Gear illustration, likely containing a C1463A or C1463B connector .

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Haz said:

You will need at least a temporarily licensed copy of Forscan to reprogram a new PSCM with the appropriate As-Built data, which you can either copy from the currently installed PSCM, or verify that the PSCM contains the programing values shown in the As-Built Reprograming Data listing that I provided via Forum messaging. If you refer to the Module Configuration Workshop Manual document, the numerical line address for the PSCM will be shown in the table of various modules.

Regarding a PSCM part number, I have not yet been able to find a replacement part number listed. I'm aware that the Steering Gear Removal and Installation Workshop Manual document indicates the PSCM provided with a new Steering Gear assembly must be appropriately programed with As-Built values obtained from the prior PSCM before it is removed. To me, this indicates the PSCM is provided in the assembly (PIA) replacing the faulty Steering Gear. On the other hand, one of the diagnostic procedures indicates "Replace the PSCM" as if the module can be separately obtained and is replaceable on the Steering Gear assembly, but again, I've not found a Service part number for the PSCM.

Working from illustrations and based upon the depicted connector receptacles, I expect the PSCM is located in the area bounded by red arrows here...

SteeringGearAssemblyexplodedviewillustrationwredarrowshighlightinglikelyPSCMlocation.jpg.cab2a892359f441eafdc3b6402654b16.jpgetho

The full view of this cropped illustration is zoomable and scrollable using your web browser here.

Neither the UK nor the North American Edge Workshop Manuals include any PSCM removal and installation procedure, which is unusual.

If your diagnostic effort indicates PSCM replacement, then hopefully, inspecting your Edge's Steering Gear may yield a part number stickered or printed on its PSCM, along with some obvious module-mounting fasteners. Lacking Workshop Manual guidance, the question remains of how the PSCM interfaces with the Steering Gear assembly -- unless it's only via the laterally installed harness shown in the Steering Gear illustration, likely containing a C1463A or C1463B connector .

Good luck!

Thanks Haz

yes im glad to here that it’s not just me that cannot locate the data on PSCM location or part number I may call ford to ask for the part detail I’ve got enough data from yourself to proced

I paid for full forscan for a year and have the plug in obd switch required so will try with forscan to scan the PSCM 

• Thanks 1