2019 Ford Edge SEL Left Rear Tail Light issue and replacement information

I have a 2019 Ford Edge SEL 6 cylinder.  My left turn signal was fast clicking, and determined that the left rear parking light was not working.  The turn signal and brake light were still working.  I went to https://ford.oempartsonline.com/ and put in my VIN number and the website told me the correct part was KT4Z-13404-G for the SEL model.  I ordered through oempartsonline.com and got the taillight, which matched perfectly, including all assembly, and misc code numbers printed on light body but when I put it on the car, now the left rear turn signal won't work.  The parking light now works and the brake light is still working.  Do I need to reset some computer module or something?  I plugged into the ODBC reader port and didn't find any codes or errors to clear.  

Any idea on how to fix problem?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The front turn signals are dual filament halogen bulbs. Have you looked at them? Is your turn signal still blinking fast? Also, I think the bulb outage detection works independently for each turn signal, because one time my front headlight was unplugged, so the front turn signal didn’t work. The IPC flashed the turn signal fast, yet the rear turn signal worked at normal speed.

Edited by Wubster100

I suspect that that isn't the correct lamp, or incorrect part number. You mention a 2019 SEL V6, I assume that 2019 and SEL are correct, as the V6 is no longer available.

I think that the KT4Z-13405-G is the correct one...(you have a different KT4Z-13404-G part number) for the outer left with amber turn, with combo red bulb, clear lens park (dim) and turn (bright) and red lens surround is not illuminated for parking lights. Inner lamp is only backup lamp, no illuminated surround.

Edited by dabangsta
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, dabangsta said:

I would have suspected one of the only non LED bulbs, the front turn signal bulb, as the issue.

The SEL doesn't have all parts of the inner and outer tail light that lights up like the higher level tail lights.

I did light check on both front and back of car with both original left taillight assembly and replacement one and front left turn signal is working in both cases.  Thanks for responding, though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wubster100 said:

The front turn signals are dual filament halogen bulbs. Have you looked at them? Is your turn signal still blinking fast? Also, I think the bulb outage detection works independently for each turn signal, because one time my front headlight was unplugged, so the front turn signal didn’t work. The IPC flashed the turn signal fast, yet the rear turn signal worked at normal speed.

I did light check on both front and back of car with both original left taillight assembly and replacement one and front left turn signal is working in both cases.  If it's a dual filament bulb, I'll check the front light more closely to see if one of the two filaments is burned out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dabangsta said:

I suspect that that isn't the correct lamp, or incorrect part number. You mention a 2019 SEL V6, I assume that 2019 and SEL are correct, as the V6 is no longer available.

I think that the KT4Z-13405-G is the correct one...(you have a different KT4Z-13404-G part number) for the outer left with amber turn, with combo red bulb, clear lens park (dim) and turn (bright) and red lens surround is not illuminated for parking lights. Inner lamp is only backup lamp, no illuminated surround.

My mistake, I checked the shipping receipt and the number is KT4Z-13405-G, not KT4Z-13404-G

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrBigChainRing said:

I did light check on both front and back of car with both original left taillight assembly and replacement one and front left turn signal is working in both cases.  If it's a dual filament bulb, I'll check the front light more closely to see if one of the two filaments is burned out. 

If the front turn signal is working, then there should be no problem with the front turn signal bulb. The bulb has two filaments, a bright turn signal and dim marker light. The marker light is most likely disabled and not used.

Text sourced from @Haz

Field Effect Transistor (FET) Protection

The BCM utilizes an Field Effect Transistor (FET) protective circuit strategy for many of its outputs, for example, lamp output circuits. Output loads (current level) are monitored for excessive current (typically short circuits) and are shut down (turns off the voltage or ground provided by the module) when a fault event is detected.

A Field Effect Transistor (FET) is a type of transistor that the control module software uses to control and monitor current flow on module outputs. The Field Effect Transistor (FET) protection strategy prevents module damage in the event of excessive current flow.

Output loads (current level) are monitored for excessive current draw (typically short circuits). When a fault event is detected the Field Effect Transistor (FET) turns off and a short circuit DTC sets. The module resets the Field Effect Transistor (FET) protection and allows the circuit to function when the fault is corrected or the ignition state is cycled off and then back on.

When the excessive circuit load occurs often enough, the module shuts down the output until a repair procedure is carried out. Each Field Effect Transistor (FET) protected circuit has three predefined levels of short circuit tolerance based on a module lifetime level of fault events based upon the durability of the Field Effect Transistor (FET). If the total tolerance level is determined to be 600 fault events, the three predefined levels would be 200, 400 and 600 fault events.

When each level is reached, the DTC associated with the short circuit sets along with DTC U1000:00. These Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) can be cleared using the module on-demand self-test, then theClear DTC operation on the scan tool (if the on-demand test shows the fault corrected). The module never resets the fault event counter to zero and continues to advance the fault event counter as short circuit fault events occur.

If the number of short circuit fault events reach the third level, then Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) U1000:00 and U3000:49 set along with the associated short circuit DTC . DTC U3000:49 cannot be cleared and the module must be replaced after the repair.