Paddle Shift and Cruise Control

garycrist

In reading the discussion on Steering Wheel upgrades, it got me thinking.

One of the things I hate the most is the Cruise Control on the 22 ST and the

stupid way it works. Every time it goes down a hill the rear brake come on

when in normal times it should coast. Now I am wondering if the paddle shift

might stop that crap. I usually goose the gas just a bit to stop the brake application.

It is no wonder these thing eat rear pads.

Overview

The cruise control system is controlled by the PCM.
The cruise control mode is selected from the steering wheel mounted switches which are integrated into the steering wheel. Refer to Owners
Literature for additional information.
The cruise control system maintains a selected vehicle speed between 32 kmh (20 mph) or 30 kmh (18 mph) (metric cluster) and the maximum
limited vehicle speed. When a MyKey® restricted key is in use and maximum speed limiter is turned on, vehicle speed is limited to 129 kmh (80
mph).
During normal driving, the vehicle speed can vary slightly from the set speed due to road conditions. The vehicle speed can fluctuate when driving
up and down a steep hill. If the vehicle speed decreases more than 16 kmh (10 mph) below the set speed, the cruise control disengages.

Cruise Control Operation

The cruise control functions include:

turning on the cruise control system.
setting and maintaining the desired vehicle speed.
accelerating the vehicle speed.
coasting down to a lower speed.
resuming the prior vehicle speed.
turning off the cruise control system.

The cruise control system maintains a selected vehicle speed within a range between 32 km/h (20 mph), or 30 km/h (18 mph) if equipped with a
metric cluster, and the maximum limited vehicle speed. When a MyKey® restricted key is in use, the vehicle speed will not exceed the
MyKey® maximum limited speed. During normal driving conditions, the vehicle speed can fluctuate slightly from the selected set speed due to
road conditions. The vehicle speed can fluctuate more noticably when driving up and down steep hills.
Certain conditions cause the cruise control system to deactivate:
Application of the parking brake
Transmission gear selector is placed into a position other than D or OD
Cruise control set speed is overridden with the accelerator pedal for a period longer than 5 minutes
Cruise control switch is pressed or stuck longer than 2 minutes
Vehicle speed decreases more than 16 km/h (10 mph) below the set speed
ABS fault
The BPP switch assembly (contains the stoplamp switch and cruise control deactivator switch) and APP sensor are hardwired inputs to the PCM.
Electronic Throttle Body (ETB) command is a hardwired output of the PCM.
The vehicle speed is controlled by the PCM through the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) subsystem.
The cruise control system provides self-diagnostics. Cruise control is disabled anytime an error is detected in the system. No IPC indicator or
message center messages are displayed when faults occur. Fault codes are logged by the PCM or SCCM.

An Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system fault also causes the cruise control system to be disabled. In this case, an Electronic Throttle Control
(ETC) system powertrain malfunction (wrench) warning indicator is displayed.

Edited by Wubster100
  • Like 1

Adaptive and I've just about turned off most of the bells and whistles.

I like making some of the spastic red warning light , buzzer and steering wheel shake,

when making some quick moves. We might be old, but we bought this to drive, not

squish about town in a "Jelly mobile".

5 hours ago, garycrist said:

Adaptive and I've just about turned off most of the bells and whistles.

I like making some of the spastic red warning light , buzzer and steering wheel shake,

when making some quick moves. We might be old, but we bought this to drive, not

squish about town in a "Jelly mobile".

if you turn off the adaptive cruise it should go to stupid cruise mode, which should not use brakes to decelerate if going above the cruise set point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even adaptive cruise isn't aggressive in lowering speed if taken higher than the set speed. It also is not very aggressive at turning off when you use the gas pedal to go faster than the set speed. I had a rental car that it didn't take much to turn off. With the adaptive cruise I use cruise less for a minimum speed than I used to, but still often times that is how I use it. I guess never for 5 minutes.

Eco mode in a Fusion Hybrid did help with fuel mileage but I feel it let the speed get too low, not tractor/trailer with flashing lights slow, but pretty close. 80 mph down to 55-60, where non eco mode would maintain it within 5 mph. I never felt comfortable in hilly driving with eco mode, which is where it shines for some.

• Like 2

I just tested my adaptive and regular cruise. You don’t even need to be on a hill, just set the cruise speed down lower.

The vehicle applies the brakes in both regular and adaptive cruise. There were no vehicles in front or behind me when I tested. I set cruise around 40mph, and then I held the - button until the set speed went to 25mph.

I can see the brake lights come on. The brake pedal feels slightly harder when the brakes are automatically being applied. 

I would love a way to get rid of this feature. Is it not a huge waste of gas? I want to be able to use hills to gain speed, and then only slow down if I get close to the vehicle in front. I have noticed that on the highways, faster like 70mph, if I go down a hill, my speed might rise above the set cruise speed by about 5mph.

Is this why I will see random break lights on the highway for no reason?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wubster100 said:

I just tested my adaptive and regular cruise. You don’t even need to be on a hill, just set the cruise speed down lower.

The vehicle applies the brakes in both regular and adaptive cruise. There were no vehicles in front or behind me when I tested. I set cruise around 40mph, and then I held the - button until the set speed went to 25mph.

I can see the brake lights come on. The brake pedal feels slightly harder when the brakes are automatically being applied. 

I would love a way to get rid of this feature. Is it not a huge waste of gas? I want to be able to use hills to gain speed, and then only slow down if I get close to the vehicle in front. I have noticed that on the highways, faster like 70mph, if I go down a hill, my speed might rise above the set cruise speed by about 5mph.

Is this why I will see random break lights on the highway for no reason?

not the first or likely the last time i've been wrong.. 🤣

i would bet there is a way to turn it off by adjusting a value with forscan.. but i don't know which one where.

I do know there was a lot of overlap with the F150 forscan settings so that might be an avenue to research it, through those forums

or obviously on the forscan site directly

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wubster100 said:

I haven’t heard of any other Ford vehicles change their cruise control to not use the brakes.

Well as an example, my 2011 fusion sport did not use brakes to slow down, it would downshift the transmission and use engine braking 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Well as an example, my 2011 fusion sport did not use brakes to slow down, it would downshift the transmission and use engine braking 

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It seems like newer Fords, maybe around 2015ish and above, seem to use the brakes with cruise control. Older vehicles seem to only downshift and use engine braking. I have not heard of any other Ford owners being able to disable this braking feature on cruise control. I haven’t heard of anyone even trying.

Is the only solution to temporarily cancel cruise control when going downhill?

16 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I had a 2017 Edge V6, and it used engine braking, but the 2020 ST I have now uses brakes.  Frankly, I would rather change the brake pads more often, and save the wear-and-tear of the clutches in the transmission.  It has to be a lot cheaper in the long run!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wubster100 said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It seems like newer Fords, maybe around 2015ish and above, seem to use the brakes with cruise control. Older vehicles seem to only downshift and use engine braking. I have not heard of any other Ford owners being able to disable this braking feature on cruise control. I haven’t heard of anyone even trying.

Is the only solution to temporarily cancel cruise control when going downhill?

cancel / resume button would make that pretty easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rchalk said:

I had a 2017 Edge V6, and it used engine braking, but the 2020 ST I have now uses brakes.  Frankly, I would rather change the brake pads more often, and save the wear-and-tear of the clutches in the transmission.  It has to be a lot cheaper in the long run!

zero disagreement from me!

• Like 2