Water pump and primary chain replacement 2015 edge sel 3.5

Viking daddy

Changing water pump on 2015 Ford edge sel 3.5 cams  are locked in place at Tdc and I can't get the slack out of the old chain to line up on the left cam. I got a new primary chain and I'm having the same problem I desperately need someone who's experienced this and figured it out to reach out to me please the dealership won't help 

Let me qualify 1st. I have never done one of those but, I've done

SOHC as well as DOHC since 1972. If the tensioner is all the way retracted,

drop the chain from the bottom sprocket and rotate 1 tooth by hand. If you have to,

rotate the engine by hand clock wise to get some slack from the right side

to drop the chain. It is best done with the spark plugs removed too!

14 hours ago, Viking daddy said:

Changing water pump on 2015 Ford edge sel 3.5 cams  are locked in place at Tdc and I can't get the slack out of the old chain to line up on the left cam. I got a new primary chain and I'm having the same problem I desperately need someone who's experienced this and figured it out to reach out to me please the dealership won't help 

many tensioners have a lock out feature that will not let it retract without depressing a little lever.

or not retract at all in some cases.

retract the tensioner or get a new one if necessary, and use the new chain.

Pictures to illustrate the problem help too 

The issue was without the tensionor on. The chain stretched. Bought a new primary chain installing everything on top today and hopefully the thing runs right. Cam lockers sat on loose like they should I turned the crank over twice after installation and the marks on the cams lined back up right 

• Like 1