2009 3.5L needs a water pump

JohnCT

160K miles and leaking coolant externally through the weep hole.  NO coolant in oil yet so no longer using it.

Is it OK to go through the effort to change the pump and not replace the timing chains/guides, etc.?   My sister doesn't use the car all that much and it otherwise has had normal maintenance.

Also, what would this cost to have done by a professional - I think this job is above my pay grade..

My opinion, as someone in the business, is that the right thing to do is change everything that you have to disrupt while you are there for the pump. Particularly at that kind of mileage. 

I can't say on an estimate.

• 1 month later...

My sister bought a new car but I'm going to replace the pump in my garage.  My niece will take the car and use it for her last year of college.

I have decided *against* changing the cam phasers but will replace the pump, guides, and tensioner.   

Does anyone have a list of parts that I will need such as gaskets etc?  I imagine I'd need intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets, but wonder if I'm missing something. I'd like to order everything in advance before she brings it by.  Thanks.

John

1 hour ago, JohnCT said:

My sister bought a new car but I'm going to replace the pump in my garage.  My niece will take the car and use it for her last year of college.

I have decided *against* changing the cam phasers but will replace the pump, guides, and tensioner.   

Does anyone have a list of parts that I will need such as gaskets etc?  I imagine I'd need intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets, but wonder if I'm missing something. I'd like to order everything in advance before she brings it by.  Thanks.

John

Timing cover is an RTV bead (or was in the 2011 version), but I'd probably do the crank seal. Valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals, cam phaser solenoid seals, and yes, I think there are upper and lower intake seals.

I'd be willing to bet they come in a kit

You'll need tools to lock cams at the correct position, pull the crank hub, and press it back on, assuming yours is like mine was (fusion, not edge)