Lack of acceleration, feels like brakes on

LoriMN

Oct 31 2023 brake booster replaced.

Left shop, experienced lack of acceleration and felt like brakes on.

Service AdvanceTrac light came on.

Shop was already closed. Towed next day, they said it was a faulty switch.

Happened again, another switch.

Happening now, 2 days after that new switch. No AdvanceTrac light.

On the receipt it says Stop Lamp Switch.

Service: Replaced brake switch and relearned steering angle sensor.

2013 Ford Edge Limited 6cyl 

154,000 miles

HELP

I'm not sure if related, but my backup camera quit last August.

When the car had an 'episode', the backup camera did work briefly. It doesn't work every time this happens.

I also failed to mention that the brakes get very sensitive, brake with the slightest touch. That's how I know something is going to happen. 

I'm usually able to drive normally after shutting off and waiting 5-20 minutes. The previous time this happened it took me an hour to drive 1.5 miles, to the shop.

During the time between the previous and newest switch I returned to the shop to diagnose. They couldn't replicate so nothing done.

Slowing down at an interstate exchange, there was a loud roaring?sound that decreased as I braked. Lack of acceleration. I made it to the next exit and sound returned. I had to stop suddenly for someone and there was a different loud noise. Got parked and while idling, Service AdvanceTrac light came on.

Returned to the shop and they said it was the outer tie rods (or ends?). Fixed. Problem returns.

I went to a different shop. They said it was 3 front spark plugs.

Son-in-law replaced those plugs.

Problem returned.

Returned to original shop for the most recent brake switch?/stop lamp switch diagnosis and fix.

Free under shop warranty, but this is ridiculous. 

I'm unable to hear higher frequencies so I don't know if there are other sounds.

11 hours ago, LoriMN said:

Oct 31 2023 brake booster replaced.

Left shop, experienced lack of acceleration and felt like brakes on.

What shop is that?

I ask because your comments here suggest it's highly incompetent and add to that ineptitude, they obviously didn't even do a test drive.

You're going to need a shop that has the required diagnostic tools and skills - it could be a multitude of things like faulty wheel speed sensor, ...........

If its mobile you could take it to Autozone and have them scan it for fault codes, but a professional would be the best option.

Edited by 1004ron

Tires Tires Tires, a regional shop.

I've been going there for a few years with good results until now. They did the rotors in 2021. They haven't mentioned any codes.

At this point I'm only going back because the booster and switch are under their warranty.

I went to Team Automotive because my neighbor recommended them. They said spark plugs. Didn't mention any codes and charged $150 for diagnosis.

I just asked a local mobile mechanic and he said possibly wheel speed sensor or related, or that they didn't install the switch correctly. 

20 minutes ago, LoriMN said:

Tires Tires Tires, a regional shop.

I see the trend with tire fitment shops offering bumper to bumper service, and just like quick lube places, I would steer well clear of them - they know only enough about the other parts of a car to be dangerous.

From what you described of the current symptoms I'd be very surprised if there's no stored fault codes and suspect the code scanner is not capable - I personally only use Forscan after learning the deficiencies of other scanners.

After this debacle, I won't go back to that shop.

I asked them to check sensors, wiring, and if the switch was installed correctly. No mention of any of that but I got another booster for free. They did say that it's a Ford booster. Might be why they added that warranty doesn't cover parts from outside vendor.

Will see if it's 'fixed' but I'm not holding my breath.

20240722_205922.jpg

The problem is all of the newer vehicles have gotten so complex, even the dealers (and certified technicians) can't figure out the problem. 

Wait 15-20 years down the road and they don't even know how to figure it out.