PTU/RDU fluid recommendation.

I have a 2024 Edge ST. I plan on doing fluid changes on both the PTU and RDU around 20K. From all the horror stories I have read (mostly PTU), do you think this is a good service interval and what fluid should I use. I have heard about this 'Red Line Shock Proof' being the best fluid but was hoping to get some feedback on this. Thanks so much for any advice.  Jim

I'd check your Owners Manual & verify. Most of the horror stories are from the previous gens that didn't have 'serviceable' components. I believe that you're stuck with only 1 manufacturer, Motorcraft, that makes the RDU fluid, Motorcraft XY-75W-QL disconnect fluid. 

The PTU has more options available. Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75W140, aka Smurf Blood, is what I & many others use. Others prefer Amsoil. However, I'm not a Sport/ST so I don't know if they're different or not. 

I can tell you that I've changed both twice in 31,000 miles. The first fluid change on both had the most material in the oil. When I did the second time, things were much nicer. Both fluid changes are relatively cheap if you do them by yourself. The Motorcraft RDU fluid is ~$40/qt & Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75W140 is ~$25. Here's my thread on it, but I believe things are going to be slightly different on the ST. 

2 hours ago, lildisco said:

I'd check your Owners Manual & verify. Most of the horror stories are from the previous gens that didn't have 'serviceable' components. I believe that you're stuck with only 1 manufacturer, Motorcraft, that makes the RDU fluid, Motorcraft XY-75W-QL disconnect fluid. 

The PTU has more options available. Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75W140, aka Smurf Blood, is what I & many others use. Others prefer Amsoil. However, I'm not a Sport/ST so I don't know if they're different or not. 

I can tell you that I've changed both twice in 31,000 miles. The first fluid change on both had the most material in the oil. When I did the second time, things were much nicer. Both fluid changes are relatively cheap if you do them by yourself. The Motorcraft RDU fluid is ~$40/qt & Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75W140 is ~$25. Here's my thread on it, but I believe things are going to be slightly different on the ST. 

They can't flatly deny a warranty claim if you use Motorcraft fluid. 

• Like 1