Soft pedal

I have a 2014 edge sport awd. It started with a soft brake pedal.  New pads and rotors were all installed last year, no issues.  The brake fluid was full and there are no visible leaks. After multiple conversations it was determined that the master cylinder was the issue.  I did a bench bleed on it, then a line bleed at the master cylinder after installation.  Pedal was still soft.  So I bled all 4 wheels. Pedal is still soft when the car is on.  When it’s off the pedal will get hard but if a steady pressure is kept it will go to the floor. I removed the battery and air box and inspected the abs pump and the lines and everything is dry, with no codes. However. The only thing that stands out is when the pedal is pumped I can feel fluid going through one line more than the others.   I jacked up the car and put it in gear.  When I apply the brakes they all stop evenly, starting with the rear.  Any recommendations would be appreciated 

• 1 month later...

I did a bit of research due to a soft pedal on our 2013 Edge. It seemed everything I found was a hit and miss. Many people that had replaced the master cylinder said it worked for a short time then reoccurred. There was no logic to it being the Booster and that had been replaced due to a recall. No loss of brake fluid.  I tried the driving about 25 mph and standing on the brakes, it didn't help. The more I researched the more it seemed to be the HC unit for the ABS. I looked at replacing it with a rebuilt unit and the cost, the down time of the vehicle and my labor just added to my frustration. I found a reasonably priced bi-directional scanning tool, about $180, so if it didn't work, I had a tool that I could use for other vehicles too. I scanned for codes, and nothing came up for brake issues. I did clear any other codes. I then started cycling the through the ABS HC unit for each caliper. I could hear the HCU each time I cycled it. I repeated this about 3 times. I took it for a drive, and it still had a soft pedal. So, I did the driving about 25 mph and standing on the brakes, and I could feel that the pedal was firmer, so I did it one more time, and that, so far, has remedied the problem. I did this about 3 months ago, so far so good. 

On 7/11/2024 at 4:46 PM, Andrew45 said:

I have a 2014 edge sport awd. It started with a soft brake pedal.  New pads and rotors were all installed last year, no issues.  The brake fluid was full and there are no visible leaks. After multiple conversations it was determined that the master cylinder was the issue.  I did a bench bleed on it, then a line bleed at the master cylinder after installation.  Pedal was still soft.  So I bled all 4 wheels. Pedal is still soft when the car is on.  When it’s off the pedal will get hard but if a steady pressure is kept it will go to the floor. I removed the battery and air box and inspected the abs pump and the lines and everything is dry, with no codes. However. The only thing that stands out is when the pedal is pumped I can feel fluid going through one line more than the others.   I jacked up the car and put it in gear.  When I apply the brakes they all stop evenly, starting with the rear.  Any recommendations would be appreciated 

This is the scanner I bought. 

XTOOL A30-Pro Full Diagnostic Tool Bidirectional Scanner Kёy Programming ABS Oil | eBay