2022 Edge ST-line Front radar sensor

SV101

I just purchased a 2022 Edge ST-line still under factory warranty. When activating the cruise I get the "Pre-collision Assist not available Sensor Blocked" error. I brought it into the dealer and they found the sensor bracket broken, so the sensor is just hanging there causing the problem. Obviously not covered under warranty, but there ridiculous estimate was $2200 for the labor and parts. They included the sensor, even though it may not be bad. They do this since the labor is too high to replace just the bracket and reassemble or they are trying to rip me off. I found the parts on line, but there seems to be 2 sensors (FK7Z-9E731-AF & JX7Z-9E731-E)  and 2 brackets (FT4Z-14C022-B & KT4Z-14C022-AA) listed to fit depending on if the vehicle has "auto brake". Does anyone know if equipment group 250A includes the auto brake feature? On window sticker, 250A includes: FORD CO-PILOT360 ASSIST.ADAPT CRUISE W/S&G & LANE CTR

• Sad 1

Welcome to the Forum, @SV101!

Presumably, your dealer found evidence on the bumper cover and/or the Cruise Control Module (CCM) that the bracket breakage and ruined CCM was the result of a collision of some sort.

Electronic modules that have been physically dropped are always to be replaced, so if the CCM suffered an impact sufficient to fracture its mounting bracket, then the CCM must be replaced. 

You are not being "ripped off".

The following images describe the auto-braking feature your Edge's optional Co-Pilot 360 package provides...

2022Edge-Technology-AdaptiveCruiseControlwithStopandGoandLaneCentering.thumb.jpg.9bdad378389ca71d969eef55a17fbc27.jpg

AdaptiveCruiseControlwithStop-and-Go-FullerDetail.thumb.jpg.c70b0a2350e73ebbbcbb58099e184e40.jpg

You may want to explore submitting a claim to have the repair cost paid under the collision coverage of your auto insurance.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, edjunior said:

I don't understand.  If it's still under factory warranty, it should be all covered under that warranty.  Am I missing something here?

Ford dealer says something was hit to break it so not covered under warranty. No visible damage from the front and the dealer I bought it from says they won't cover it since it may have been damaged after delivery. When I first noticed the problem, they said take it to Ford since it should b under warranty.

• Like 1

What the dealer is saying is BS.  I added the radar to my 2019.  The sensor is right behind the shield part of the lower grill.  I cannot imagine any way that the bracket could be broken without damage to the lower grill shield.  It is much more likely that the lower grill was replaced after an impact that also broke the bracket.   Look at the area around the lower grill to see if there is any damage.  I could see a scenario where the whole front bumper was replaced by a dealer.  They did not want to spend an extra two grand on the radar.  The dealer would be forced to use all new Ford parts.  Did you see a Carfax by any chance?  I bet it was in an accident.

I would raise holy hell with the dealer.  They have to do a full inspection in order to offer a Ford extended warranty.  Did they give you an inspection report?  They need to disclose that the fact that the car was not up to spec.

I am 99% sure that you have the cheaper of the two brackets. (22AA).  You can buy a new sensor on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks.  There is a chance that the sensor is still working.  However, for $200 I would replace it.  Removing the bumper is actually pretty easy.  The whole job can be done in a couple of hours.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the details and workshop guides. I have determined that I need the part numbers that include auto brake. I am negotiating with the sales manager to pay for the parts so I can do the repair. They obviously did not test the adaptive cruise during pre-delivery inspection. The car had a clean Carfax and there is no evidence of a crash or bumper being replaced, so my guess is the previous owner may have pulled in too close and hit a wall or pillar in a parking garage, possibly hitting the front plate area. There are some who have found minor impacts have broken the bracket.

9 hours ago, Haz said:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My sales guys say the brackets are easily broken.  Your car may have been lightly backed into while parked, leaving no visible sign.  Still breaks the cheesy bracket.  $800 for repair in my 3 month new car.  Could easily happen again with so vulnerable a location or with careless parking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I hate to admit it, but I was wrong on this one.  I did find a way to break the bracket and not leave a mark on the lower grill.  I hit a medium size bird, one to two pounds.  It was running across the road and jumped right before I hit it.  It hit the lower grill dead center.  The bracket is definitely broken.  Hopefully the CCM itself is fine.  I will check it with Forscan later today and see if it is still there.   I will probably buy a new bracket instead of trying to repair the broken one.  I'll have to take the bumper off for sure. 

• Like 1

What a pain to fix.  The bird strike broke the frame for the shutters and also broke the lower yoke that controls the shutter angle.  The yoke is not available as a separate part.  Ford wants over $500 for the assembly.  I was able to fix the parts by adding an aluminum braces.  I hope they hold up long term.

Both bolts that hold the CCM bracket broke when I tried to remove them.  I was able to drill new holes in the bracket and the mounting point.

I found out that my grill shutters where staying open all the time.  It turns out that the radiator brackets were put in wrong and it prevented the shutters from moving.  I don't know if it came from the factory this way, or someone worked on it before I bought it.

So far everything is working with no error codes.

• Like 2

I bought a new bracket, but still need to install it. I am hoping the sensor is still good. It sends out collision alerts when I am near cars on the left, so I am assuming it is ok. I think the sensor is facing left with the broken backet. Assuming the sensor is not damaged, do i need Forscan to recalibrate?

• Like 1

You can use Forscan to confirm that the sensor is not damaged.  You can run a full diagnostic on it.  I did not have to re-calibrate mine. 

Be ready for damage to the shutter system as well.  You can check for error codes with Forscan and do a visual check before you take things apart.

Hopefully you can get the bolts out without breaking them.  I drilled new holes in the mount and tapped them.  Get some cobalt bits.  The steel was surprising hard.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SV101 said:

I bought a new bracket, but still need to install it. I am hoping the sensor is still good. It sends out collision alerts when I am near cars on the left, so I am assuming it is ok. I think the sensor is facing left with the broken backet. Assuming the sensor is not damaged, do i need Forscan to recalibrate?

Since you are not receiving any major DTCs and still receiving collision alerts, the CCM is probably still good. To calibrate the sensor, the vertical calibration is done by physically leveling the sensor. The horizontal calibration is done in FORScan. You just need it to point straight to the best of your ability. Calibration in FORScan is not required. When I got my CCM used, it didn’t need calibrated. Though, I would recommend calibrating the CCM if it gets moved at all. It is a simple process in FORScan, you only need to drive around for about 5-15 minutes and it will calibrate.

I would recommend calibrating as the software is free and the cable is at a very reasonable price.

The collision alerts will come from a combination of the CCM, and the IPMA camera and LiDAR system.