ST Transmission Service 2022 ST

garycrist

When servicing the transmission take these steps and save $$$$s.

Easy as pie but, things have changed from prior models.

Tools needed;

Common screw driver 8mm or 7 mm socket, 14mm socket, 10mm hex (Allen Key) 6 quarts of ULV Mercon I used Vavoline pliers to remove clamp for the fill port .

The trick to get cheaper transmission fluid was to order it online from O'Riley's and pick it up! That saves $$$s.

1. ST up to operating temp.

2. Remove Air Box

3. Remove lower cover under transmission.

4. Use 14 MM socket to drain transmission. DO NOT REMOVE 10 mm ALLEN PLUG TILL FLUID IS DRAINED! Otherwise a flood of fluid is yours to clean-up.

5. After fluid is drained remove 10MM Allen plug and reinstall 14MM drain plug.

6. With vehicle level, add 3 quarts of fluid and start ST.

7. Add 2 more quarts and shift into all gears several times.

8. Add last quart with drain pan under the 14MM plug.

As the St warms up fluid will leak out till full @ 185 degrees of fluid temp. Once the flow slows down reinstall 10MM plug WITH ENGINE RUNNING!!!

If you turn off the engine while the 10MM plug is out, a flood of fluid will gush out requiring MORE transmission fluid.

Put it back together and smile.

• Thanks 4

Just wanted to clarify on garycrist procedures concerning the refill process. The following is taken from my service manual. For me to reach that required temperature I had to drive the vehicle for awhile. Just by sitting parked and idling, the temps would not go up enough. After I had drained the fluid I refilled it with a little more than I took out before driving.

1. Connect the diagnostic scan tool to the vehicle. Monitor the TFT PID .
  1. With the engine running in PARK on a level surface make sure the transmission is at normal operating temperature 85-93° C (185-200° F).
  1. With foot on the brake, slowly select each gear position, stopping in each position and allowing the transmission to engage.
  1. With the engine running in PARK, remove the oil leveling plug.  
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good information! Seems Ford has overlooked the importance of TRANSMISSION. PTU AND RDU fluid changes. Since these service intervals no longer exist in the current (digital) owner's manuals.

What are the recommended intervals??

• Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to ST Transmission Service 2022 ST

Preventative maintenance. To my knowledge, there's no filter on these transmissions. Best to change the fluid every 30,000 or before instead of waiting & causing more harm than good. It's relatively easy & cheap for ST's & non ST's to do. Especially for piece of mind. I may do my next flush sooner to get the Valvoline in there instead of the Motorcraft fluid. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lildisco said:

Preventative maintenance. To my knowledge, there's no filter on these transmissions. Best to change the fluid every 30,000 or before instead of waiting & causing more harm than good. It's relatively easy & cheap for ST's & non ST's to do. Especially for piece of mind. I may do my next flush sooner to get the Valvoline in there instead of the Motorcraft fluid. 

I get it, but wow, I just can't imagine changing the transmission fluid in a 2-year-old car.  I mean, I always do the oil changes a bit before recommended, but I have to say that I've been driving since the 70s and only ever changed transmission fluid on a vehicle once on one I bought used with and unknown service record.  I never keep anything more than 100,000 miles and knock on wood, never have had a transmission issue.  Are there 3 things you are changing?  I thought transmission and PTU were the same thing.  Are you changing rear differential at 2-year intervals as well?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davidoo said:

I get it, but wow, I just can't imagine changing the transmission fluid in a 2-year-old car.  I mean, I always do the oil changes a bit before recommended, but I have to say that I've been driving since the 70s and only ever changed transmission fluid on a vehicle once on one I bought used with and unknown service record.  I never keep anything more than 100,000 miles and knock on wood, never have had a transmission issue.  Are there 3 things you are changing?  I thought transmission and PTU were the same thing.  Are you changing rear differential at 2-year intervals as well?  

Depends on your driving style. I tow a ZTR Mower in a 5x8 trailer almost every week during the summer months. This year I hauled about ~3,500lbs of mulch twice (about 10 miles one way) from Lowe's. Not very smart, but it was over a short distance & I didn't go over 35mph the entire way. I also haul random other things a few times a year, but towing also shortens the service intervals. 

The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) is located up by the transmission. Usually gets hot because of the engine bay & heats up the fluid & the fluid breaks down faster. I changed that out to Redline Lightweight Shockproof 75W140 (Smurf Blood) & it appears to handle the heat & beating I do when towing. I believe that I swapped it out ~18,000 miles & then again ~8,000 miles later & still looked new blue with way less shavings on the drain plug. 

Rear Drive Unit, RDU, I've only changed once with Motorcraft 75W Disconnect Fluid (only brand compatible with the RDU that I'm aware of). It was pretty nasty & I should probably do it again soon. 

Transmission has already been discussed, but all depends on usage. I wouldn't go above 30,000 on either of the 3.

As far as changing the fluids compared to the previous vehicles you've driven, there's probably a lot more electronics in your steering wheel compared to your entire car of your youths. These electronics have a finer tolerance than your previous vehicles. Tiny amounts of dirt & debris can create havoc on these electronics. Better to have fresh clean fluid, than dirty old broken down fluid. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2

Yes, a lot of that is different than the vehicles we had in the 70s.  I also get that if you are pulling a trailer it should be done more often.  In the old days there was just a transmission and rear differential, now there is a third item, a PTU?  Obviously I haven't done this kind of maintenance myself in decades because I don't keep the cars long enough.

• Like 1

@garycrist good information and I completely agree with @lildisco regarding the maintenance schedule for these transmissions. I changed the PTU and RDU fluid as well before 30K.

For reference, here are the instructions that the shop uses when changing the transmission fluid.

2022 Edge ST Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill.pdf 2022 Edge ST Air Cleaner Outlet Pipe.pdf 2022 Edge ST Air Cleaner.pdf

• Like 2