End of Printed Owner Manuals

normkol

I just bought a 2024 Titanium, and wanted a printed owner manual to keep in the glove box. The manual you can bring up on the info screen is all text and abbreviated.

At first, Helm showed it out of stock, and said to submit your info to be notified when it is back in stock. I did that.

A week later, I checked and they no longer list the English owner manual at all. I wrote to them, and the reply was that Ford no longer wants Helm to stock printed owner manuals. The online and in car manuals are all that will be available.

I don't agree. I want a manual in the car, for emergencies I might need it for. I realize I am in the minority who actually reads the book, but it should be available.

I ended up ordering the 2023 manual, which should be pretty much the same, I don't think much if anything changed for 2024.

Edited by normkol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know you ordered the 2023, and yes, it should be pretty much identical, but for those in need "hard copy" if you download the pdf, take it to a print shop, they can print it professionally and bind it for probably close to what a new one goes for.

• Like 1

i've got the pdf on my computer at home. Maybe I'll keep it on my phone, too. 256GB storage on my Samsung 24+ does come in handy.

As someone who was in charge of publishing a 700 page printed lock catalog for 29 years, I just find flipping to the right page faster and easier to read than having it on the phone.

I will have both, and use them as the situation calls for.

• Like 1

Clickable links to pages from the Table of Contents, Index, and within the content (This is where you check the coolant, go to page 98 for specifications), and searchable? Indispensable for those that want to find it, know it, or understand it. Many people don't want to know, don't care, or will just ask.

I drove mine home, had an understanding of 90% of it already (it is a car, it is a Ford, it has SYNC 3.0, etc) but a little reading on Adaptive Cruise, remote start settings, where the emergency key slot is, I made sure I understand all that before trying it out or driving much. A couple hours well spent.

• Like 1

Well, I'm all for technology and stuff, but sometimes it is just plain easier to read the paper manual.  Espcially as my eyes just aren't what they used to be (you know...I got 4 eyes, and none of 'em work right!).  But I suppose like everything, we'll just have to get used to it.  Of course the "paperless environment" was supposed to happen over 20 yeaes ago, but hey, whose counting!

• Like 2

My car did not come with a manual (should it have?) and I ended up buying a used one off ebay.  IDK if the ST trim got it's own manual or addendums, I just got an "edge" manual and have read a good portion of it.  Something I do with all the vehicles I buy.

You can see manuals online here(I think there was a PDF version if you wanted to print it): https://www.ford.com/support/owner-manuals/

Despite being an 80's baby I still enjoy flipping paper and the feel of a #2 pencil on paper😉 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 10:54 AM, normkol said:

I just bought a 2024 Titanium, and wanted a printed owner manual to keep in the glove box. The manual you can bring up on the info screen is all text and abbreviated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145691077488?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4Z2ZzMejRae&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Snv36mbbRk2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by enigma-2

I had seen that, but it said it is a reproduction. I read the reviews and see it is an authorized repro, so I ordered it. I can return the Helm 2023 manual, unless someone here can use it.

Thanks.