Side Mirrors Not Retracting

keiser

I bought a 2014 Edge with 40,000 miles.  

All is good but the side mirrors seem not to be retractable.

In addition to the normal L, R adjustments, the mirror switch has an icon that might indicate power retraction but it does not do anything.

Would that icon be present if power retraction was not installed?

My owners manual does not cover power mirrors.

The mirrors also resist manual retraction.

Anyone else have this issue?

Posted (edited)

I note that the mirror itself has an icon for heat and the same icon for retraction that appears on the interior control knob.

If no Edge model had these features, this is a curiosity.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Edited by keiser
added photos

That isn't how it works anyways for the Fords that do have auto folding mirrors (like some year MKX which is the Lincoln version of the Edge). The icon on the mirror shows the car door and the mirror with the heat indicator, and the joystick shows the same, the side of the car and the mirror with the directions you will be moving it.

For 2019, the Nautilus has power folding mirrors for one option package. If enabled, it does auto fold when car is turned off, in park, open the drivers door, and lock it. There also is a button in the left left quadrant of the control, but it isn't a joystick like that.

I am too lazy to narrow down when auto folding was added to the MKX, I don't think it was available in 2014 but at least by 2019 it was, and likely earlier (2016), but maybe not the 2015 redesign.

Edited by dabangsta
  • Like 1

My prior 2 vehicles were Escapes.  The side mirrors folded with gentle pressure.

The Edge side mirrors certainly appear foldable but short of applying massive effort, they don't budge.

Any advice on getting these to work manually?

Thank you.

Hmm, I don't do it very often (just when the trash can won't go by it, or accidentally if walking close to it), it took more than a finger push, but not much. This is a 2019. My previous vehicle was a 2017 Escape and they are pretty similar. I could see doing this so many times it wears it out and makes it shake at idle. According to the order guide (I don't have a 2014) every model from SE up has folding side view mirrors (manual).

• Like 1

thank you for the video, which was what I expected.

both of mine on the Edge are unyielding.

a feature I would rarely use but we do have narrow parking spots here in Hawaii and I occasionally used that feature proactively with the Escapes.

I will park carefully.  :)

Since your car is older they probably have accumulated a lot of road grunge in the hinge area and have tightened up from lack of use. Spray some silicon or lubricant of your choice liberally in the hinge area and let it sit for a while, then try folding the mirror again and try to work the lubricant in. It may take a fair amount of pressure to get it to lose the first time or too (unless completely seized up which I doubt). Mine are a little tight and takes more pressure than a slight push.

• Like 1