Speed volume compensation

I recently bought a 2019 Edge Tit.  I noticed immediately that the speed volume compensation wasn’t working.  I performed the Sync Master reset but still not working. I just had my car at the dealership for other issues and I had them write it up that it didn’t work. Initially the service writer acted surprised that they even had that feature on the car.  They then reported that they didn’t find anything wrong, and that the compensation is very subtle.  I just got the car back and can’t tell that’s it’s doing anything no matter what level setting it’s on.  My wife’s 2018 Edge has very noticeable volume changes especially when coming to a stop.  It’s going back into the dealer soon to fix another issue, but wondering if anyone knows of any specific direction I could tell them to look at in hopes of fixing this particular issue?  Thanks 

My 2012 Fusion with the 390w premium sound setup is very obvious in how much it affects the volume between stopped and at speed, even with it being a noisier vehicle inside. I never would have guessed my 2019 SEL with premium sound has it (all trim levels and all sound systems have it), but it really doesn't get very loud inside by speed. I can adjust it on my Fusion, but my 2019 Edge it is either on or off. Hopefully someone will post the service manuals page on how it works.

This Special Service Message was issued in September, 2020...

SSM 49156   2017-2020 Various Vehicles - Speed Compensated Volume Operation

Some 2017-2020 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit a customer concern of a perceived inoperative or reduced speed compensated volume function. Do not compare speed compensated volume operation with other vehicles as system operation varies between vehicle lines, model years and audio systems. To determine if the system is operating properly, drive the vehicle at constant highway speeds with the audio system at a medium to high volume level and switch the speed compensated volume system setting from off > high > off. If an increase in volume is observed when switching the system from off > high the system is operating properly. If there is no discernible change, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 415-00 for further diagnostics.

The following information is from the 2019 Edge Workshop Manual...

image.thumb.png.cbd3ced68aca5e1ef2d948805588469f.png

image.thumb.png.bad265f2dba17569ca7a4c9eb33264d9.png

Audio Front Control Module (ACM) Operation

The ACM receives vehicle speed information, used to adjust audio volume with different vehicle speeds, from the PCM over the CAN .

PINPOINT TEST F: THE SPEED COMPENSATED VOLUME DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY

ppt-minus.pngIntroduction

Normal Operation and Fault Conditions

REFER to: Information and Entertainment System - Overview (415-00 Information and Entertainment System - General Information, Description and Operation).

Possible Causes

• Speed compensated volume setting
  • Speed signal concern
  • Network communication concern
  • ACM
F1 CHECK THE SPEEDOMETER OPERATION
  • Verify speedometer operates correctly.

Does the speedometer operate correctly?

Yes GO to F2
No
REFER to: Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes (413-01 Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes, Diagnosis and Testing).

F2 CHECK THE SPEED COMPENSATED VOLUME SETTING

NOTE: Refer to the Owner Literature to access the speed compensated volume settings.

• Turn the speed compensated volume off.
  • Operate the audio system in AM / FM mode.
  • Drive the vehicle at various speeds and observe the speaker volume.
  • Set the speed compensated volume to maximum compensation.
  • Operate the audio system in AM / FM mode.
  • Drive the vehicle at various speeds and observe the speaker volume.

Does the volume remain constant with the speed compensated volume turned off, and increase and decrease with vehicle speed with the speed compensated volume set to maximum?

Yes The system is operating correctly at this time. INFORM the vehicle owner in the correct usage of the speed compensated volume feature.
No GO to F3

F3 CHECK FOR COMMUNICATION DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, carry out the ACM self-test.

Are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) present?

Yes REFER to the ACM DTC Chart in this section.
No For vehicles equipped with the 6 or 9 speaker system, GO to F5
For vehicles equipped with the 12 speaker system, GO to F4

F4 CHECK FOR CORRECT DSP (AUDIO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING MODULE) OPERATION
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect and inspect all the DSP connectors.
  • Repair:
    • Corrosion (clean module pins or install new connectors or terminals)
    • Damaged or bent pins (install new terminals or pins)
    • Pushed-out pins (install new pins as necessary)
  • Reconnect the DSP connectors. Make sure they seat and latch correctly.
  • Operate the system and determine if the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes CHECK OASIS for any applicable service articles: TSB , GSB , SSM or FSA . If a service article exists for this concern, DISCONTINUE this test and FOLLOW the service article instructions. If no service articles address this concern, INSTALL a new DSP .
REFER to: Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Module (415-00 Information and Entertainment System - General Information, Removal and Installation).
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by module connections. ADDRESS the root cause of any connector or pin issues.

F5 CHECK FOR CORRECT ACM (AUDIO FRONT CONTROL MODULE) OPERATION
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect and inspect all the ACM connectors.
  • Repair:
    • Corrosion (clean module pins or install new connectors or terminals)
    • Damaged or bent pins (install new terminals or pins)
    • Pushed-out pins (install new pins as necessary)
  • Reconnect the ACM connectors. Make sure they seat and latch correctly.
  • Operate the system and determine if the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes CHECK OASIS for any applicable service articles: TSB , GSB , SSM or FSA . If a service article exists for this concern, DISCONTINUE this test and FOLLOW the service article instructions. If no service articles address this concern, INSTALL a new ACM .
REFER to: Audio Front Control Module (ACM) (415-00 Information and Entertainment System - General Information, Removal and Installation).
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by module connections. ADDRESS the root cause of any connector or pin issues.

The above Pinpoint Test and several referenced 2019 Edge Workshop Manual sections are attached below as PDF documents if fuller diagnostic efforts are necessary...

Good luck!

DIAGNOSTIC PINPOINT TEST ''F'' - THE SPEED COMPENSATED VOLUME DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Module - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Audio Front Control Module (ACM) - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Loadspace Trim Panel - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf