Wireless charging....chronic disconnect/reconnect

I didn't really know where to tuck this in the forums.  Car in sig, has wireless charging for phones.  Whether I use my iphone 12 or my wife uses her iphone 15, the wireless charging constantly reports charging or gives an error indicating that there is an obstruction/charging has stopped (sorry don't have the exact error message).  I did a search on the forums but didn't come up with much and as a work around I am using a cable, which is fine because I get carplay, but my wife never charges her phone and it would be nice for the phone to charge without constant popups on the infotainment.

I still have a 12v charger so my wife might just to need to use that as a workaround but workarounds are janky and not a proper fix.

I have zero luck with the wireless charging spot in my 2019. I use a cable (for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay) and put the phone face down so it doesn't try to charge (it will, even if plugged in). If I put it in back side down, it overheats. If I don't have a case on my smaller iPhone 11, it will slide out of position and stop charging. I 3d printed a surround for my iPhone 11 (it is my work phone, I take it with me in case I am on call, but don't use it to stream audio or navigation rarely, as I prefer my android phone) which helped, but in the summer when it is 115 degrees, even with the AC on Max (which it rarely is once the cabin is down to a reasonable temp) it still overheats. Passenger plugs into a 12v USB power point plugged into the passenger side outlet anyways, as the USB in the console is slow (it or the wireless charging charges my phone at most 1% an hour, barely keeps up with usage). Since there are plenty of 30w adapters that fit in the outlet and still allow it the cover to close, I don't see it as a workaround, it is just a better way of charging devices.

I might take up my threat and unplug the wireless charger, that would make the most sense.

99% of my device charging is via wireless charging. I have stands on my desk for my phones, I have one on the night stand, and Android trickle charges until my morning alarm anyways, it is more than enough to start at 0 at 10pm and be at 100% by 5 am.

• Like 1

I was really hoping to reduce clutter in the cockpit, but I guess we will need to use standard chargers.  I ended up buying a cell phone mount for my iphone and run the cable to the phone.  In the glove box is a 12v charger and cables.🤣

And you're right about a 30w charger.

The Wireless charging pad only provides up to 5w, so 5v 1a! With the screen off and Wireless Android Auto going it draws way more than that. The USB ports seem like 1amp as well, maybe 1.5 (it will charge my phone connected to Wired Android Auto).

My current one, that has a Type A and a Type C port, is only 15w Type C and 15w Type A (it is completely over hyped as far as 20w Type C and 18 Type A), but I only have one device that can charge higher, and it doesn't need to. It does charge more than 15w if my phone is below 30% on the Type C port.

53807672115_ed2898620d_o.jpg

fits in and the cover still covers it.

53806299147_416782d5df_o.jpg

53807232981_1a2de6a75e_o.jpg

53807559409_7aee4943f5_o.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just use my Verizon car charger. Fast and simple (plug it into the 12 volt accessory plug inside the lower center console. Plug's hidden out of view and just a simple curly cord sticks out of the notch on the passenger side. (Need to keep the phone charged while traveling if I run the cloud-based app that tracks cops in real time.)

12 volt chargers are a lot faster than cordless. 

Edited by enigma-2