COOLING FANS (again)

dzacco

My daughter in law's 2008 Edge Limited has been overheating which I have learned is a common problem. The cooling fans were totally dead - no continuity through the fan motors so I replaced them with what looks exactly like OEM Motorcraft fans and control unit. I say it "looks like" because there is no brand on the box or fan unit. I purchased it at Advanced Auto Parts and I tested the fans by jumpering straight from the battery and they worked fine but they still won't turn on. I checked all fuses and confirmed the relay Some people are saying to replace the cylinder head temperature sensor but the dashboard temp gauge works fine. I found there is no ground on the wires between the control module and the fans which somewhat points me back to the CHT sensor. Could this still be a problem with the control module? Some have said to reverse the plug going into the module 180 degrees but that can't be done with the plug on this fan unit as there are ridges that only allow insertion one way. I did mount the old module on the new fans with the same outcome (which looked identical to the new one).  Can the PCM signal going to the control module be tested? Will a dealer or automotive shop have the instruments to do this? Is there a way I can test the cylinder Head temperature sensor with it installed in the car? It doesn't show symptoms I found on line but if I need to tear the intake off the engine, so be it. Any suggestions, recommendations or success stories are welcome. 

BTW, the car is going in to Christian Brothers Automotive Repair for diagnosis the day after tomorrow.

Edited by dzacco

• dzacco changed the title to COOLING FANS (again)

If it doesn’t say Motorcraft it’s probably Dorman.  There have been some that were bad right out of the box.  Others have a flaky connector so try playing with the wiring connection.  Turn on max a/c to test.  If none of that works you may have to return it and get Motorcraft.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2024 at 12:17 PM, garycrist said:

You can use Forescan or several PID control software to control or test the fan speed and controller.

I have a Mongoose module for my '21 F150, Will that work? Is there software I need to download for the Edge?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2024 at 11:20 AM, akirby said:

If it doesn’t say Motorcraft it’s probably Dorman.  There have been some that were bad right out of the box.  Others have a flaky connector so try playing with the wiring connection.  Turn on max a/c to test.  If none of that works you may have to return it and get Motorcraft.

Turns out it was a Dorman! I ordered and installed the Motor-craft Ford fan unit and everything works like new. Thank You for the recommendation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1