Brake lights won't shut off & engine start button function change after diagnostic hookup tool

2015 Ford Edge V6:  My engine was idling slightly rough (no engine light) so I plugged in an Ancel JP700 diagnostic tool -  into the diagnostic port located under the dash.  I started the engine and it booted up but did not show any error codes - so I shut down the engine and unplugged it.   Since I did that,  the brake lights won't go off and the engine start button works with just one push of the button and without having to step on the brake pedal first.  I am familiar with maintenance mode but it is NOT in maintenance mode.   I tried disconnecting the battery for  10 minutes and upon reconnecting, same issue, nothing has changed.  Is the car in some kind of diagnostic mode?   Why the change and how to I put it back to the normal way it was?  I have to disconnect the battery overnight so the brake lights don't run all night.   Any ideas, thnx? 

ancel.jpg

Omar - you exactly nailed it.  And... this is why the engine start button all of a sudden works without first pressing the brake pedal - the computer "thinks" the pedal is already being pressed because of the defective switch.  Order a new switch - will install tomorrow.  THNX ! 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the Forum, @ODPILOT!

I had a peculiar and somewhat comparable experience with Forscan and my laptop communicating through our 2015 MKX's Data Link Connector.

Intending to monitor a Forscan Dashboard of data points, I started our MKX and began to leave our garage while Forscan was performing its modules scan.

While lowering a power window and as the BLIS radar passed the Garage door framing, the window stopped and the BLIS mirror warning lamp remained stuck on.

Perplexed, I scanned for DTCs using the then fully-operational Forscan, and several DTCs existed.

I cleared those DTCs and the BLISS mirror warning lamp extinguished and power window operation returned.

My expectation is Forscan's module communication attempts were interrupted by the activity of the power window and BLIS systems.

I'm not immediately familiar with your scanner without downloading and reading its User Guide, but perhaps you can try powering up your scanner with your Edge in Key On Engine Off state -- that is, advancing past Accessory to its Ignition being On, but without performing a Start button push -- since starting your Edge requires brake pedal actuation -- which causes the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to transmit...

image.png.8bdba17fb944bb57fe766f10098b138a.png

image.png.21c1a323c1fe617bc8abce9f1e4ae649.png

Then, try performing a DTC scan to see if any exist, perhaps especially, communications-related "U" codes in the PCM. GWM, or ABS module(s).

If any exist, clear them, and see if that extinguishes your Edge's brake lamps.

If our MKX hadn't behaved in that past peculiar manner, I wouldn't be offering this advice now.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Haz said:

try powering up your scanner with your Edge in Key On Engine Off state

This would require him to press the start button without the brake lights on. However, he can't as when of the symptoms he is facing is that the engine is immediately starting with a single press.

• Thanks 1

Boy, what a dope I am -- this is what happens when I substitute personal experience for Wiring and Workshop Manual documents.

From the 2015 Edge Workshop Manual... The Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch assembly contains the stoplamp switch and cruise control deactivator switch.  When the brake pedal is applied, the cruise control deactivator switch, integrated in the BPP switch, opens and removes the ground signal from the PCM input circuit releasing the throttle, immediately deactivating the cruise control system.

StoplampSwitch-RI-EnhancedIllustration-2015EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.e743e33eb5375d5c37e4b7dfe7b57c20.jpg

From the 2015 Edge Wiring resource...

Brake Pedal Position Switch - Wiring Diagram - 2015 Edge

BrakePedalPositionSwitch-WiringDiagram-2015Edge.thumb.jpg.8287a5b5061bf1ba1c331bf202e9343c.jpg

Battery Junction Box (BJB) - Brake Pedal Position (BPP) Fuse 54 Red-Circled In Illustration - 2015 Edge

BatteryJunctionBox(BJB)-BrakePedalPosition(BPP)Fuse54Red-CircledInIllustration-2015Edge.thumb.jpg.5a9ec136fd7373bfff6eb0c2b70d230d.jpg

Removing Fuse 54 from the BJB eliminates the Hot At All Times power from the BPP switch, and should extinguish the currently always-on stop lamps.

De-energizing the BPP should also eliminate the vehicle's pushbutton Start function, since the PCM is no longer receiving any Stoplamp switch input.

The question is: Does removing Fuse 54 restore the Edge pushbutton's ability to cycle to Accessory and Ignition On, while eliminating its Start function?

Additionally, if the Stoplamp Switch component of the BPP has been stuck in always-on position, some of the following DTCs should be present in the PCM...

image.png.e5f445b23ad51c720f56807e8542ddb6.png

If removing Fuse 54 restores the pushbutton Accessory On-to-Ignition On transition, try powering up your connected scanner with the Edge in Engine Off Ignition On state, and when it's fully operational, scan for DTCs.  Make note of what -- if any -- DTCs are present, and then clear them.

If Accessory On-to-Ignition On pushbutton functionality does not return, put Fuse 54 back in the BJB, start up your Edge's engine, turn off all accessory functions, then power up your scanner and once it's fully operational, scan for DTCs.  Make note of what -- if any -- DTCs are present, and then clear them.

If no DTCs are present, use you scanner to perform the following diagnostic test step to assess operation of the BPP functions...

image.png.3f321409e2c3e0b97ab1c2c9f4858206.png

Several references are attached below as PDF documents...

We look forward to feedback, and, I invite comments if I have -- once again -- overlooked something glaringly obvious.

Good luck!

Brake Pedal Position Switch - Wiring Diagram - 2015 Edge.pdf Brake Pedal Position Switch - Connector C278 Pins-Circuits Detail - 2015 Edge.pdf Stoplamp Switch - Removal and Installation- 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Battery Junction Box (BJB) - Fuses and Relays Illustration - 2015 Edge.pdf

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks -  so the problem with this 2015 Ford Edge, which would not run properly AND the brake lights wouldn't go off - is that it had a defective brake pedal switch. The car was in "limp mode" due to the problem.   I purchased a new brake pedal switch on Amazon, removed the old one and installed the new (took a total of 4 minutes) - and now brake lights funtion properly and no longer in "limp mode".  Thanks for all your help and advice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1