08MKX automatically starts byself

Hi all I have 08 Lincoln MKX 160,000 miles, I installed a new battery 5/28/2024 and now after driving I exit the vehicle and either push lock down with my finger or button on door, once the door closes the car automatically starts without touching the key fob. It does it every time I drive the vehicle now. It’s come alive ! lol please help it is becoming annoying and runs my gas and extra wear and tear on my starter/car that’s unnecessary. Thanks

WH

Welcome to the Forum, @Holdog101!

More as an experiment than as an attempt toward an interim fix (if it works)...

Try popping the hood release -- in order to trip the Hood Ajar switch -- before closing the locked door, and if the vehicle does not "auto-start", then push down on the hood to re-latch it, and see what the vehicle does.

If that works, fuller diagnostic efforts are absolutely necessary to affect a permanent root-cause correction.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

Ok, I popped the hood release and turned the car off and it still started after I locked the door. I also turned off the car then popped the hood and still after I locked the door it restarted by itself. 

No, factory key with fob. It only started after I put the new battery in. It’s got me puzzled. I have to sit in the car hit the lock button and wait for it to restart and hit the brake to cancel it. Normally if I hit the lock button 2 times it auto starts. Never when I locked It, until now! lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

There are add on remote starts that use the factory fob, but some combination of buttons to start, like lock/unlock/lock (no horn honk) and older ones was lock/lock/lock (but it honks on the second lock, which is annoying). My 2015 Fusion came with one (bought used) that we didn't know about until we were playing around with global up/down windows, and it started.

But that shouldn't happen from the door, but brake might be the thing that shuts it down if you brake before you put in the key. I also don't think there is a config for it that it might reset to default and do that, some how start on a single lock and from any source.

I spotted it when I added a fuse tap to add a dash cam, it was tied into the OBD port as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Holdog101 said:

Normally if I hit the lock button 2 times it auto starts.

Remote Starting was not an option offered on 2008 MKX, so as @dabangsta describes, the faulty double-lock-actuated starting system is surely not factory installed.

Lincoln Accessories offered a dealer-installed Remote Start system for MKX in 2008, but it utilized a separate fob and was not activated by a double-lock button push using the physical key fob.

Because there's no starting deterrence with the hood ajar, perhaps somewhere in the engine compartment, there is a warning sticker saying the vehicle is equipped with a remote starting system, which may also provide some indication of the system's manufacturer to obtain their troubleshooting guide.

If it was the vehicle battery which you replaced, maybe the aftermarket system returned to a default configuration which needs to be restored to its previous compatibility with your MKX.

Attached below as PDF documents are the 2008 MKX Sales Brochure, and, a Diagnosis Guide for the Lincoln Accessories system, though the Diagnosis Guide does not mention the symptom your MKX is exhibiting.

Good luck!

2008 MKX Sales Brochure.pdf Ford Powercode Remote Start System - Diagnosis Guide -Rev 1.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thread is a little old and hopefully its been fixed by now. If not, as it started when a new battery was installed, there was probably a glitch initiated (touch then untouch, then touch again, small spark) in the systems. When connecting s battery, try to avoid cresting multiple sparks as they generate current pulses into the electrical syatem.

Try disconnecting the battery again, leave it disconnected for several minutes to allow the capacitive elements in the various modules to discharge, then connect the battery again. Basically it resets the modules to their initial states.