Biggest rims possible on a ST ?

Hi. I have a 2019 ST with the 21 inch rims. I was thinking of giving her a lil' look by putting bigger rims(with even  lower profile tires) with spacers(to make the wheels stick out of the wheel well a bit). The question is : what is the biggest sized rims I can fit with what tires. Thanks a lot guys(and gals).

Thanks. I've heard of 24's...I'm sure there must be some work put in so they don't rub any where and the tires are probably hella skinny. Just wondering what I need exactly.  

• Thanks 1

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but this is the answer that I can give you is from experience as a tire salesman.  There is no guide that I know of correctly fitting wider tires to a vehicle.  Purely, wider tires come with increased circumference.   It is purely guesswork to see if a tire will fit.  There is a concept of lower profile tires which is called plus one/two/three.  Basically, you can get a higher sized rim but must keep the overall circumference of the tire the same as the OEM tire.  Circumference is the most important tire measurement as the speedometer error is less and the wheel should fit in the wheel well.  The OEM tire size is 265/40R21 if you have the upgraded package.  The circumference is 29.35".  I found a 24-inch tire which has a circumference of 29.2 inches with a profile of 25 (265/25R24).   I would guess that you need to add at least $1600 for the rims.  Obviously, the demand for that size of tire is not high and I found only three available manufacturers making that size (Nexen, Nitto and Lionheart.)  I would guess that those tires would have a life span of about a week.  In a 22-inch rim size, there is a tire with a circumference of 29.3".  The tire size is 265/35R22.  There are a lot of tires available in that size and most should have a better life span.   Unfortunately, all of these tires have a width of around 10.4 inches.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, edgeidiot said:

Purely, wider tires come with increased circumference.   It is purely guesswork to see if a tire will fit. 

Having just gone from 19" 255mm wide tires to 20" 315mm tires while maintaining the circumference I can confidently say your statement is incorrect.

Rim width went from 9" to 11".

Using the below web site you can access the overall dimensions changing rim diameter, width and offset.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=255&aspect=50&diameter=19&wheelwidth=9&offset=37&width2=315&aspect2=35&wheel_size=20&wheel_width=11&offset2=28

I did not use "guesswork".

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I can see that they fit.  What I notice is that your new tire (315/35R20) is two inches less in diameter than the old tire (255/50R19.)  It may cause increased wear because of the reduced diameter and a greater speedometer error.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, edgeidiot said:

Yes, I can see that they fit.  What I notice is that your new tire (315/35R20) is two inches less in diameter than the old tire (255/50R19.)  It may cause increased wear because of the reduced diameter and a greater speedometer error.

You need a new tire calculator/comparer. that 315/35/R20 is only .3 inches shorter than a 255/50/R19. It is significantly wider at around 12.4 inches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edgeidiot said:

Did you view the link I posted?

Where/how did you arrive at a diameter difference of two inches?

The diameter difference is 9.1mm i.e. 0.36 inch.

Reading at 30mph  =  30.37mph

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1