[Success😁] Has anyone installed adaptive cruise control (ACC) on 2019-2024 Edge?

I have the shutters that are in the second photo with the Tasca watermark. The first photo are shutters for ACC vehicles. I will try to remove the piece of plastic in the center of the lower shutters that is in the way of the CCM. I think the only purpose of a new lower grill is to provide protection for the CCM. Hopefully I can get a signal to the IPMA through one of the connectors in the engine bay. If not, I might have to splice into the IPMA inside and run a wire out the door and under the hood to test LOL. I have attached a photo of the front grill removed (not mine). You can see the CCM installed right inside of the active shutters and the lower grill removed.

Edge.thumb.png.7e622bce8a51dbafdc0e80504dca6bed.png

• Like 1

An update to my progress, I finally removed my front grill. The active shutters will not be a problem. The plastic piece in the lower part of the active shutters pops right off to install a radar. I have the mounting points to install the radar, I have attached a photo of the holes. The lower grill might interfere with the radar because of its open slats. I will have to cut the center of the lower grill and install a flat piece of plastic to protect the radar.IMG_2819.thumb.jpeg.f802f5d9b82d7c8ab772430477e89928.jpeg

• Like 2

If installing a CCM-protecting lower grille insert interests you, and you prefer not to pay for a fully-new part, Car-Part shows a lower grille available for $140...

image.png.47e322136f3e45b956a7f0d73e87de99.png

image.png.2008377c353665e394b8a049996a9fef.png

Image edited to emphasize part's ST-Line/ST fitment..

BumperGrilleFrontLower-KT4Z-17K945-GA-2021Edge-FordParts_com.thumb.jpg.91eb2a37c4b0cfdcf1fe438799ecca5a.jpg

Relevant section from 2021 Edge Workshop Manual attached below as PDF document...

Good luck!

Front Bumper Cover - Disassembly and Assembly - 2021 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Good catch, @johnmarkp!

The FordParts listing I cited is for ST-Line/ST Edge.

I should have noticed the word 'Sport' in the listing, and also the honeycomb texture of the Lower Grille illustration as not being the horizontal bar design that @Wubster100 previously shared...

image.png.f1359de9e8815192670358ddf912e1b5.png

The KT4Z-17K945-BA part cited by @johnmarkp matches the Historical Vehicle Bill of Material (HVBoM) using the VIN of a 2021 Edge equipped with Adaptive Cruise.

image.thumb.png.ed940d8f4d8a723b64cc3ab7d407b4ec.png

The right new part at a comparably great price.

image.png.c7f7790b72eaa4877d2fcf286f475e16.png

Once again, bravo @johnmarkp!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The radar in ACC requires a smooth surface rather than open grill slats to ensure optimal signal transmission and reception. A smooth surface allows radar waves to pass through unobstructed, minimizing any distortion or scattering that could occur with slats. Grill slats can cause diffraction and partial reflection of the radar signals, leading to inaccuracies in detecting the distance, speed, and position of vehicles and obstacles ahead. These inaccuracies can compromise the functionality and safety of the ACC system, potentially leading to slower response times or even failure to detect objects correctly. A smooth, radar-transparent surface ensures the radar is protected and can operate with maximum efficiency and accuracy.

As shown in the wiring diagrams, all of the connectors are in the front on the driver's side area. There are 2 big main connectors. You need to unplug 4 connectors to remove the front grill: horn, 2 big connectors, and there is a smaller connector that runs up to the center for the hood switch and an air temperature sensor. I have confirmed with a tone generator that I have 2 network wires going down to the bumper. I will have to look back at the wiring diagrams to confirm power from DCDC booster and verify with a multimeter. It looks like I will run about 3ft of wire from the radar to the driver's side area where all of the wiring is. Soon I will remove my bumper a second time to hopefully mount and wire the radar.

32 minutes ago, Wubster100 said:

but I changed something

Are you saying you are changing As-Built values within or among Modules you are incrementally installing?

That DTC indicates the IPMA's As-Built values are not correct.

Do you have As-Built values from an Edge that is factory configured and programed to your Edge's desired future-state of installed modules for the features you are adding?

Good luck!

• Like 2

I was changing the AsBuilt in the IPMA and other modules. The IPMA’s AsBuilt was incorrect. I have been comparing AsBuilt from other Edges. I have been finding VINs with both the convenience package and the CoPilot360 Assist+ package, but none with only Assist+.

Posted (edited)

SUCCESS! SUCCESS! 😁

Once again, outstanding help from @Haz and @johnmarkp. I finally got my CCM installed. I had to run about 4 3ft wires from the CCM to the lower bumper where all of the wire plugs are. I did not have any threads on the metal bumper, so I had to use 2 self-tapping screws. I got my CCM used, so the mount that holds it in place was broken. I 3D printed a thin rectangle of plastic to fix it. I used epoxy resin glue to attach the plastic to the broken CCM mount. The CCM is held in place securely. I did not change the lower front bumper.

I kept running into DTCs because I couldn’t get the AsBuilt right. The main issue was that the ABS module does not support ACC with stop and go. Therefore, all other modules must be set to ACC down to ~12mph, rather than stop and go ACC. I had to play around with different AsBuilt values inside of the IPMA to get it to work. I had to recalibrate the IPMA. It only took about 5 minutes of driving above 40mph for the IPMA to calibrate. I couldn’t believe my eyes when the adaptive cruise control started working.

The first vehicle that I tested it on was a Ford Explorer. ACC locked onto the Explorer, and it was able to brake well. It even worked up and down hills with sharp turns. Pre-collision assist seems to still be working. I am unsure if the system is able to use the radar, or if it is still in camera only mode. There is still some fine tuning to be done. My reverse camera grid changed to an older style, I kind of like it better. It now has 2 white lines that move. The CCM is unprotected, which could lead to it easily being damaged. I did not level my CCM very well. I did not calibrate my CCM at all, it is still using the calibration from whatever Edge it came from. I don’t have any distance indicators on the IPC when adaptive cruise control is off. I did not change my steering wheel switch, so I am stuck at the default level 3. I have a PCM DTC for lost communication with the liftgate module. I need to change PCM AsBuilt because it thinks I have a power liftgate. Because stop and go is not available without a new ABS ECU, that also means lane centering will not work. ACC is working! 🎉😄🚗💻🎊🎈

Edited by Wubster100
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I kept checking eBay until I found a used CCM with a broken bracket for $100. It came off of another Ford Edge. I wouldn't recommend trying to get a CCM from a different Ford than the Edge because it may require a firmware update to be compatible. I would like to write a guide, share FORScan changes, and share the parts I used.

• Like 1

The radar is service part number JX7Z-9E731-E, the bracket is service part number KT4Z-14C022-AA, and the wire connector is WPT-1198. The engineering part numbers are labeled on the part itself and may be different. The radar and mount is the same for all 2019-2024 Edge. The CCM is usually listed as something like "distance sensor", "radar sensor", and "cruise control module".

Thanks,  I think I ordered the wrong one on ebay.  It said it was for the Edge and the broken bracket looked correct.  But it had a different number.  KT4T-9G853-AG.  I guess I will have to hook it up and see what happens. 

• Like 1

• Wubster100 changed the title to [Success😁] Has anyone installed adaptive cruise control (ACC) on 2019-2024 Edge?
  • 2 weeks later...

2nd SUCCESS.  Thanks to Wubster100's work on this.  I did buy a new lower grill and radar mount.  I am waiting for the new steering wheel switch so I can change the distance on the fly, it is stuck on 3 right now.  (I am pretty sure this can be changed with Forscan, but not on the fly of course.)

This mod will only work on 2019 and later Edges.  It is limited to 30mph and above ACC. 

As far as I know all US and Canada Edges, model year 2019 and later come standard with correct camera in the mirror housing.  They most likely have the bus wiring all the way to the front bumper.

Wubster and I are hoping to create a how to guide once we get the steering wheel switches installed and configured. 

All that will be needed is the radar unit, radar mount and a short 4 wire harness.  Less then 10 changes to be done with Forscan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Update:

I got a new left steering wheel switch. SW-8186 (HG9Z-9C888-BB).  This does not have lane centering.  It is similar to the switch on the 2018 Edge with ACC and no lane centering.

Once installed, I had to play around in SCCM with forescan.   Option number 25 worked under the steering wheel left side switch.

I know have ACC working, the switch allows me to change the distance setting.  No error codes.  The only limitation is no Stop and Go.  Which I never use anyway.

• Like 2