Auto Headlight Dimming Question

Rchalk

In my recently-acquired ST, if I drive with the normal startup conditions, the auto-dimming headlights work really well - in fact much better than the 2017 I had before this one.  However, If a manually dim the lights, for example when approaching cross-traffic waiting at a stop sign, then the lights stay on low-beam.  If I then manually select High Beam, the lights don't dim when approaching another vehicle.  My question is how do I restore to normal automatic mode once I have made a manual selection?  Thanks for any assistance you can offer. 

From the 2020 Edge Workshop Manual, with emphasis added...

Placing your device cursor over underlined acronyms may yield full-words descriptions of their meaning.

Automatic High Beams

The automatic high beam system uses an interior rear view mirror mounted camera to monitor surrounding traffic conditions and high beam usage. The camera is hardwired to the IPMA and serviced as an assembly. The IPMA communicates light information over the HS-CAN2 to the GWM then the GWM sends the information to the BCM over the HS-CAN1.

The automatic high beam feature is active only when the headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position.

During nighttime driving, the automatic high beam system automatically turns the high beams on if it is dark enough and no other traffic is present. When the system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps or a preceding vehicle's rear lamps, the system turns off the high beams. When the approaching vehicle's headlamps or the preceding vehicle's rear lamps are no longer detected, the high beams automatically turn back on.

The IPMA turns the high beam headlamps on when the following conditions are met:

• The feature has been enabled using the message center
  • The headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position and the autolamps feature has turned the exterior lamps on
  • The vehicle speed is greater than 51 km/h (32 mph)
  • The IPMA determines the ambient lighting conditions are dark enough
  • The IPMA does not detect any light source that can be interpreted as an illuminated vehicle lamp

The IPMA turns the high beams off if any of the following occur:

• The IPMA detects any light source that can be interpreted as an illuminated vehicle lamp
  • The IPMA determines the ambient lighting conditions are not dark enough
  • The vehicle speed falls below 44 km/h (27 mph)
  • The autolamps are turned off
  • The IPMA determines the view is blocked

Based upon the above, rather than manually switching from high beams to low in the cross-traffic situation you describe, try rotating the headlamp switch out of AUTOLAMPS position -- which should turn off high beams -- and then rotate the headlamps switch back to AUTOLAMPS position when you want to re-establish the activity of the feature.

Good luck!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Rchalk said:

If I then manually select High Beam, the lights don't dim when approaching another vehicle. 

Did you return the lever to the normal position, high beams off?  I have used the flash to pass feature to disable/enable the auto high beams once.

• Like 1

i am curious to know what glare-free highbeam is? I have auto highbeam on my 2024 St but haven't played with it enough to see if I would use it.That's a big problem with the newest cars/SUV's etc. There are a lot of cool options. But at the end of the day-are you better to go back to the 'old school' method of manually controlling the high beams yourself.

52 minutes ago, Wubster100 said:

Glare free highbeams:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2016/03/18/drivers-can-now-keep-the-high-beams-on-worry-free--new-ford-head.html

You should be able to enable glare free with FORScan as long as you have the dual projector headlights.

I am sorry, but anyone with a 2019+ that doesn't have the high level headlights is dazzling oncoming traffic with low beams only, forget about high beams. I never thought that getting a Titanium since it has leveling headlights would be required, but if I have 50 pounds of stuff in the cargo area everyone flashes me, instead of only 30% of people if I don't. NTHSA gives them poor rating.

Also this requires the matrix headlights, that I don't think even the high level US headlights do, it isn't standard in the UK either, optional on the ST-Line.

Edited by dabangsta

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2024 at 9:46 AM, Wubster100 said:

Glare free highbeams:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2016/03/18/drivers-can-now-keep-the-high-beams-on-worry-free--new-ford-head.html

You should be able to enable glare free with FORScan as long as you have the dual projector headlights.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but do you have any idea how to accomplish this with Forscan? I've done this with my F-150 but it appears that the same steps will not work with the Edge.

You need to compare the AsBuilt data from an Edge with and without glare free. The AsBuilt may not be the same as the F-150 because they are different vehicles. In this case, you would need to look at Canadian and EU Edges.

Edited by Wubster100

42 minutes ago, Wubster100 said:

You need to compare the AsBuilt data from an Edge with and without glare free. The AsBuilt may not be the same as the F-150 because they are different vehicles. In this case, you would need to look at Canadian and EU Edges.

That makes sense. Thank you! Is there anything you're aware of like the spreadsheet below for the F-150? I have not seen anything like this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-_e09lLPPeSHoO3SsNwyqu5v3dgpbluvJcezUItTSVI/edit?gid=954791620#gid=954791620

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

Find an edge with the feature you want for example from Auto Trader

Get the as built detail using a vin# and compare to your existing as built detail.

Make changes as desired.

17 hours ago, chr8990 said:

That makes sense. Thank you! Is there anything you're aware of like the spreadsheet below for the F-150? I have not seen anything like this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-_e09lLPPeSHoO3SsNwyqu5v3dgpbluvJcezUItTSVI/edit?gid=954791620#gid=954791620

I've not seen any edge specific spread sheets and have been using the F150 sheet as a reference point.  I am also maintaining a running change history log on all changes made using forscan.  It should go without saying but the first thing to do with forscan is to backup your modules just in case you need to revert.

Here are all of the forscan sheets I have, if you have others, please share.

Ford Explorer 2011-2015:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JHLK2oCBe-E5om9VNeY6e3NwboO9Em0dDBZIgUVyGxc/edit?gid=0#gid=0

2g Fusion:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yax6zfhZYj2joBczEeruqKh9X5Qhee3C0ngilqwTA7E/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

2017+ super duty:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qf2gYgkhmsX-dnFO3Ki0nYUvr7aeLKsHsA0WxhDns1s/edit?gid=0#gid=0

F150 2015-2020:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/edit#gid=338817466

Edited by sc00by

From the 2020 Edge Owner's Manual, United Kingdom (UK) version...

Lighting - Glare-Free High Beam (If Equipped)

GLARE-FREE HIGH BEAM (IF EQUIPPED)

!.png.a967b693779ba16f5cf47fba8417353b.png   WARNING:  The system does not relieve you of your responsibility to drive with due care and attention. You may need to override the system if it does not turn the high beams on or off.
!.png.a967b693779ba16f5cf47fba8417353b.png   WARNING:  You may need to override the system when approaching other road users.
!.png.a967b693779ba16f5cf47fba8417353b.png   WARNING:  You may need to override the system during inclement weather.
!.png.a967b693779ba16f5cf47fba8417353b.png   WARNING:  Do not use the system in poor visibility, for example fog, heavy rain, spray or snow.
!.png.a967b693779ba16f5cf47fba8417353b.png   WARNING:  The system may not adapt the high beams to avoid glare if the lights of oncoming vehicles are hidden by obstacles, for example guard rails.
!.png.a967b693779ba16f5cf47fba8417353b.png   WARNING:  Inspect and replace the windshield wiper blades regularly to make sure the camera sensor has a clear view. The windshield wiper blades must be the correct length.

About Glare-Free High Beam
The system is designed to prevent you from distracting other road users when the high beams are on.
GFHB1.thumb.jpg.32bcf68cf06462927a00474ec593498c.jpg
Aempty.gifNormal High Beam.
Bempty.gifGlare-Free High Beam.

The system is designed to turn the high beams on if all of the following occur:

• You switched the system on in the information display.
  • You set the lighting control to the autolamps position.
  • The ambient light level is low enough that high beams are required.
  • Your vehicle speed is greater than approximately 40 km/h (25 mph).
The system is designed to adapt the high beams to avoid glare if all of the following occur:
  • You switched the system on in the information display.
  • You set the lighting control to the autolamps position.
  • The system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps or rear lamps.
hb.jpg.f7c582c587247e9b828b26e1cfef36ef.jpg  The high beam headlamp indicator remains on when the system adapts the high beams to avoid glare.

The system is designed to turn the high beams off if any of the following occur:

• You switch the system off in the information display.
  • You set the lighting control to any position except autolamps.
  • You switch the rear fog lamps on.
  • The system detects severe rain, snow or fog.
  • The system detects street lighting.
  • The camera has reduced visibility.
  • Your vehicle speed falls below approximately 30 km/h (19 mph).
  • The deactivation speed is lower on curves.
Switching Glare-Free High Beam On or Off
To switch the system on or off, use the information display controls on the steering wheel to select the following:

Menu Item   Action  
Settings
Press the OK button.  
Vehicle
Press the OK button.  
Lighting
Press the OK button.  
Auto Highbeam
Press the OK button.  

Glare-Free High Beam Indicator
gfhb.jpg.2db4a9e58afd0fe33d54e26ddfc65f04.jpg  It illuminates to confirm when the system is ready to assist.  

Overriding Glare-Free High Beam
Push the lever away from you to switch between high beam and low beam.

UK Headlamp adjustment procedures attached below as PDF documents...
Good luck!

Headlamp Adjustment - Vehicles Built Up To 6-September-2018 - 2015 - 2022 Edge, Edge Vignale, Endura Workshop Manual - United Kingdom.pdf Headlamp Adjustment - Vehicles Built From 6-September-2018 - 2015 - 2022 Edge, Edge Vignale, Endura Workshop Manual - United Kingdom.pdf Headlamp Adjustment - Specifications - 2015 - 2022 Edge, Edge Vignale, Endura Workshop Manual - United Kingdom.pdf

• Like 2

Thanks, @Haz and @sc00by. I did experiment with the IPC module by using the same settings as a Canadian Ford Edge 401a. I did not see the Lighting > Auto Highbeam option change to "Glare Free Highbeam" so figured it wasn't working. It sounds like it still says "Auto Highbeam" in the menus even when Glare Free Lighting is being used though if I'm understanding what the UK Owners Manual says though.

EDIT: These changes are most likely incorrect

Try these changes and see if it works. I can't find any changes in the HCM. They might be needed too.

IPMA

706-01-02   xx4x xxxx 6x

IPC

720-02-01   xxAx xx5* xx   *also try 0 here

720-04-02   4341 xx

SCCM

724-02-01   xxx3 xxxx

Edited by Wubster100

@Wubster100 those changes didn't seem to work. For full context, I am comparing a Canadian 2022 Edge ST 401a to my US 2022 Edge ST 401a.

The changes you notated were some of the differences between the Canadian ST I was looking at and mine. I also tried using the identical values to the Canadian ST in the IPMA and IPC modules (SCCM and HCM were already the same) and the only thing either did successfully was remove the DRL option in the instrument cluster. I ended up reverting back but it's making me wonder if the Canadian Edge even supports the Glare Free option or if that's an EU/UK only thing.

Unfortunately, it seems like getting a VIN in the UK/EU is nearly impossible since it's considered PII.

On 7/7/2024 at 10:09 PM, Wubster100 said:

Try these changes and see if it works. I can't find any changes in the HCM. They might be needed too.

IPMA

706-01-02   xx4x xxxx 6x

IPC

720-02-01   xxAx xx5* xx   *also try 0 here

720-04-02   4341 xx

SCCM

724-02-01   xxx3 xxxx

• Like 1