Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133 & TSB 22-2229

Ronald S Katz

Thank you for the post, wow....what can I say, I had seen that video before but didn't pay too much attention. Now its a wake up call and I wonder how long my luck will last. My only comfort is that I'm not a "racing" driver and my car has never seen anything over 110 km/hr. In addition, as a habit I always wait for my engine to warm up a bit before I hit the hwy and so these habits may extend my luck.

Reading thru this forum thread and seen all the money people spent for their new engines I question myself how Ford can get away with it. Obviously its a manufacturing fault here and well documented and Ford should have issue a recall. We will see when my time comes up.

Many thanks again for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes...I have a 2018 Ford Edge with ~78,000 miles....   Yes I got the misfire on Cylinder 2 code which led me down the horrifying path of the dreaded coolant intrusion issue.   I usually take my work to independent shops.  

My questions:

1.) Would it be best to go to a Ford dealership for diagnosis and, ultimately, the inevitable long block replacement?  

2.) I believe that I saw that there is an updated cylinder block that resolves the cylinder wall issue that is the cause of this problem.   What would be the best way to confirm that I get the correct updated block?  

3.) Is there an engine warranty once this is replaced? 

4.) Any news on the class action lawsuit regarding this known design flaw?

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Spencerbrannon said:

Hey There, 

I am having the exact same issue. Even started with replacing spark plugs and coil packs. Can you let me know what you ended up doing. Did you end up replacing the engine? Trying to weigh my options as well. 

I ended up going with a used 2021 Fusion 2.0 Engine with 700 miles on it, I picked it up at the start of the pandemic for around $1600 with freight, did the labor at home.

You could probably find a independent shop to swap the motor for you for as low as $1200 or so, if you can supply the motor. I would recommend changing the flex plate while you are at it, just had mine break on me lol (not affected by the recall)

Seems like anything past some period in 2019(its been a while since I researched it) had the block sleeves redesigned, seems a little thicker wall inbetween cylinders.
This is Why the Ford 1.5L 1.6L 2.0L and 2.3L Ecoboost Engines are Gulping Coolant! provides a good explanation with the differences

Best of luck!

Edited by RandyKrittz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

New to the Forum, Looking for ways to get Ford to pay for the new motor. I got got the classic Cyl#2 misfire a month after buy it from a local Ford dealer, threw money at it coils wiring harness plugs, took it back to them and they told me  it needs a new engine. did my research  see that the engine in question is a design flaw, and since the first they have redesigned it at least 3 time ending in 2019, I believe. I also got the carfax and see that the vehicle was sold 4 times in 5 years, umm why? Do dealerships make it a habit to clear codes before a sale? The dealership suggested I Trade the edge in for another one, yeah  just got stuck with a $19,000 loan for this one i need another $19,000 on top? I already pay $381 a month that would double my monthly bill. so my choices are slim to none. I don't want a boat anchor or a paper weight I have to get a loan to replace the engine for $6,000, It was suggested by lemon law layers to take it to small claim to get the money back for the engine.  Also The NHSTA is investigating  so if you still have issues  go to their website and file a complaint.

If anyone has any contact number to cal FOMOCO please it would be appreciated, I am retired so I have all the time I need. 

I will try to keep everyone updated

• 3 months later...

No, there is not a recall, customer satisfaction program, extended coverage, or anything other than the TSB for the coolant intrusion issue. There is only a TSB...which gives dealers guidelines on various indicators and tests, and if under the factory warranty or extended warranty, it is covered, else it is on the owner to pay up.

I think the latest TSB is 19-2346 (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169807-0001.pdf) the biggest item is of course the replacement long block and 13.3 to 15 hours labor.

This issue - which seems to impact a range of ecoboost motors - is the result of design flaws with the block.  My wife bought an escape with the 1.5 in it and this motor has had 2 short blocks replaced (1 by us - under warranty) and a new head - also under warranty.  I have already started talking to her about making a decision about that car before the esp runs out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, garycrist said:

I have often wondered if engineers received trips to Hawaii for making stupid

design flaws to shorten the life of vehicles. It is too bad we have devolved into

a throw-away culture without pride in workmanship! 

There are certainly bonuses when cost cutting measures are created.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just filed a formal complaint with the NTSB regarding my 2.0 ecoboost issues. The reply said they would post my issues to their website to see if any others have the same engine issues. Please post so we can get NTSB to force Ford to cover under warranty. Thank you.

• Like 1

Help! Coil 1 misfire so mechanic replaced it and 2 weeks later it did it again so he put in another coil 1.  3rd time came around and he said take it to Ford.....Ford tells me I need a new motor!! They said coolant is leaking. The car is running fine, no issues at all. It's only 5 years old!  What should I do and is $8,021.00 average price?  

• Sad 1

Ecoboost 2.0 and Coolant intrusion. It does require a new engine that has a different design to not have this issue again. It is an unfortunate issue for 2015-2018 Edge and 2017-2019 Escape and Fusion. My 2017 Escape had a similar possible issue that could happen and I stressed out about it a lot. (Un)Fortunately it was lost in an accident at 96,000 miles and it never had any issues, but it was still a bit stressful waiting for it possibly happen. One of the reasons I went with a 2019 Edge when there were better equipped 2017-2018 for less, the common issues it has are cheaper, external, and in the case of the one I bought, already fixed and reprogrammed.

• Like 2

• 1004ron changed the title to Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133 & TSB 22-2229
  • 1 month later...

I have the same issue with my ford edge but mine is leaking coolant into cylinder 1. And i don't have the money to replace the engine. Is there something ford can do about it. Cause it cost $10,000 to replace i don't have that kind of money 

• Sad 1

Have a 2017 edge with a 2.0 eco-boost 78K miles. 

looking like I’m getting the beginning of the coolant intrusion issue of noticed coolant low in my tank white exhaust was just kind of curious as to what everybody’s doing about this. I’m obviously out of warranty. I’ve heard people have contacted. Ford and Ford is done a courtesy program for him wondering how, I’ve gotten a couple estimates for engine replacement but just kind of looking for some advice as what to do right now. 

8 minutes ago, garycrist said:

Hit a bridge and sell it to the insurance co. (This is only a joke. I would never give illegal info).

Or... is it still possible to find an engine in a junk yard? A new engine has to be close to 10 grand, I would think you could find one for a couple thousand and even with shipping and installation, save at least half. Even used is better than one with a leaky cylinder.

15 minutes ago, garycrist said:

Hit a bridge and sell it to the insurance co. (This is only a joke. I would never give illegal info).

Or the good old leave it in a bad part of town unlocked with the keys in it ;) (do not do this)

• Like 1

For those of us that have had this issue outside of warranty, how long can/have you pushed it. 
Called the dealer yesterday and was quoted 7300 for a long block. Got some quotes from a couple Indy shops of about 4500 used engine low miles. 

can I put a 2020 edge engine in a 2017? When I go to verify fit on eBay it reads doesn’t fit my car. There are plenty of totaled Edges out here with low miles and later model years where this issue seems to be resolved. 

Did a crazy amount of research before I purchased this car in Sept 2020 (TSB was just making it way from ford then)

Trade in value is IMHO crap even with no issues, know everything with this vehicle and well let’s face it stuff isn’t made like it used to be. 

if I do go though with the engine replacement as long as they are in there what else should I have them do. There is the flex plate issue new plate is like 45 bucks from ford. Seems like a no brainer to just have that done for the piece of mind. 

Any thoughts or constructive advise appreciated. 

• Like 1

Has anyone had any assistance from Ford on the long block replacement out of warranty. I have already had issue confirmed by another shop, but Ford wants me to bring it to a FORD dealer before they will even talk about it. Spoke with the dealer and they said 7300 for a the service. I just dont want to pay them an additional 200 for the Diag and get told it will be 7300 bucks for a new engine.