auto stop and start

nate39

19 hours ago, dabangsta said:

When it is that hot (I live in Tucson) it won't stop. But when it is 85 degrees and the sun is beating down in through the windshield and it is blowing warm air, it gets annoying. There is a list of things that are required for it to actually stop. Ambient Temperature of moderate is all it says, and also cabin temperature is checked if it is sufficiently cooled (or heated). Defroster on will disable it, and coolant needs to be up to temp (which happens in 1 minute or less year around here).

I did not know that having the defroster on disables it, that would make sense, because it is always on during cold months just like air is on in warm months, I almost never have windows open.  Maybe that is my problem.  I will have to turn it off and see, thanks

I believe that when defrost runs that the ac is activated at the same time in order to dry the air.  This may explain why start stop doesn't activate with the defrost as an ac load is perhaps one of the things that deactivates the function.

3 hours ago, nate39 said:

I did not know that having the defroster on disables it, that would make sense, because it is always on during cold months just like air is on in warm months, I almost never have windows open.  Maybe that is my problem.  I will have to turn it off and see, thanks

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Your case seems unique to me.  I live in a climate that experiences below 70 degrees outside about half of the year and my start stop function does not care what the outside temperature is that I notice.  There is the usual limit of ~90 to 120 seconds before the engine starts again - but from what I have seen outside temperature does not seem to be much of a determiner of when it kicks in or not.  I will say that my 12v battery is essentially new.

2 hours ago, TourGuide said:

Your case seems unique to me.  I live in a climate that experiences below 70 degrees outside about half of the year and my start stop function does not care what the outside temperature is that I notice.  There is the usual limit of ~90 to 120 seconds before the engine starts again - but from what I have seen outside temperature does not seem to be much of a determiner of when it kicks in or not.  I will say that my 12v battery is essentially new.

Yeah, mine is pushing 4 years and I wondered if that made a little difference.

• Like 2

After going through this whole thread again, I must say a couple pf things.

1. A few % of fuel saving by reducing the life of the turbos and maybe a starter.

2 Most importantly. Keep away from the negative battery terminal with jumper cables.

Hook up the positive cable 1st. to the battery!! Then one may hook up the negative to

(I prefer the engine) the shock tower as noted above.

Disconnection is reverse of the above or the NEGATIVE 1st.

The reason for the turbos and my concern, is that they are sitting there still spinning their little

hearts out with no oil. Even if they are stopped, they are heat-soaking and coking the residual oil.

You make the call....

GL 73

• Like 4

Following on with this thread - I decided to try disabling the auto stop feature in the info center and it keeps reenabling the function after I have UNchecked it as an option in the menu.  Anyone else have this also happen?  

I would call this a zombie feature that you cannot get rid of.  This does not seem normal to me.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, TourGuide said:

Following on with this thread - I decided to try disabling the auto stop feature in the info center and it keeps reenabling the function after I have UNchecked it as an option in the menu.  Anyone else have this also happen?  

I would call this a zombie feature that you cannot get rid of.  This does not seem normal to me.

There is no menu item for it. I think you are disabling the extended run where when you start it and let it idle it will only go for so long before shutting down.

You can only turn it off until the vehicle is restarted either through the menu or the button.  Thats by design, otherwise the EPA won’t use it during fuel economy testing.

As for increased wear on turbos, that’s hogwash. 

The EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling,” Plagens explains.  “During normal engine operation, the engine’s water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing.  After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses.  Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind.  This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger.”

• Haha 2

Far from hogwash. And the wear and tear on the flywheel ring gear and starter is just as bad. That is why the flywheel ring gear is not covered under any of fords extended warranty plans. Auto start and stop is horrible for an engine. Just like stop and go driving is much harder on an engine than highway driving. 

Disable it every time. I put a reminder above my start stop button, but there are aftermarket fix's that will add memory to the last setting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, STBEAST said:

Far from hogwash. And the wear and tear on the flywheel ring gear and starter is just as bad. That is why the flywheel ring gear is not covered under any of fords extended warranty plans. Auto start and stop is horrible for an engine. Just like stop and go driving is much harder on an engine than highway driving. 

Disable it every time. I put a reminder above my start stop button, but there are aftermarket fix's that will add memory to the last setting.

Agreed.

Unless there was an auxiliary oil pump to maintain lubrication, auxiliary water pump to maintain significant coolant flow and a non-wearing (magnetic?) drive for the starter interface, I have not, do not and will not trust auto start / stop systems. And of course, none of those things would even address the starter / alternator / battery workload issue. 

The auto start/stop fleet vehicles I work on (Mercedes not Ford) are burning out starters (solenoids mostly) alternators (pulley clutches mostly) and batteries, in 3 years of service and under 40k miles

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 2

We recently acquired a used BMW X5 for my wife (inline 6 with twin-scroll turbo) and the first thing I did was code the auto-stop-start OFF.

You could deselect it but by default it would be active again on next start.

• Like 2