Spare tire

Gunner3.5

New member here. Ok I have a 22 Edge ST Line with 245/50/20 tires. Ford in all their wisdom decided to give us a air pump instead of a spare.  Well hit something in the road blew the tire compressor useless in this case) of course no spare had it towed home. So my question is what size spare donut do I need to get? I've look around and haven't seen a 20" spare donut any where. I might add that the compartment under the cargo floor is set up for a spare, also no lug wrench or jack. The last two items are easy to fine, just wondering about the spare. 

I have a 22 ST (not Line).  I purposely did NOT order the performance brake package because they don't come with a spare.  Just not doing that.  My 22 ST comes with a T155/70R18 as well.  As luck would have it, I was on a road trip in May and hit an object on the interstate and blew out the sidewall on the Hankooks that came on the car.  It was in a fairly isolated area, and so happy I had the spare.  

If your ST LINE didn't come with a spare, I assume you have the performance brake package?  If so, most spares won't fit on it because of the size of the brakes.  You might have to get some specialty rim for the spare.  I've seen posts from others that have eventually found one that worked.  

• Like 3

Is the caliper that much larger on the ST (specifically the ST Performance Brake) setup? The AWD has the larger 345mm rotor, and the performance brake setup is same diameter rotor just a different configuration (at least for 2019, which is what I looked at). I want to do the AWD larger rotor upgrade on my 2019 FWD soon, I need to check the spare. I tried putting on a 1997 Mark VIII 16 inch spare on the rear and it didn't work, it hit the caliper (and it is so very tiny compared to the road wheel and tire, and the temp spare, I didn't expect to drive on it, just get it on the ground). I suspect I might need to update my 17 inch temp spare to an 18 if I do the brake upgrade.

• Like 3

Welcome to the Forum, Gunner3.5 !

The 2022 Edge Order Guide shows the Mini Spare as optional equipment on the ST-Line...

300895020_2022EdgeST-LineOrderGuide.thumb.jpg.e575fccfbaa708e8e09dec1d54981edd.jpg

...The Order Guide also shows the Mini Spare as optional on ST, but as Davidoo states, unavailable with the ST Performance Brake Package...

327169243_2022EdgeSTOrderGuide.thumb.jpg.a2c97fc0dff481e911b203733ba48f24.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for the response.  I didn't add that it is AWD, I just assumed all the St lines as were AWD.  I didn't order it, was a car on the lot. Bought it in 12/21. Yeah I know about the worse time. I just looked at the window sticker again and the only option listed is the "20" premium painted wheels with A/S BSW tires. So not thinking I have the performance brake package. Going to the dealer here shortly with tire and wheel in hand, I have the insurance on them both. Haz I'll be asking at the dealer and local bone yard for a T155/70/18. Thanks everyone.1

Sorry for posting anything confusing. Starting in 2022 all Edge as AWD, FWD was deleted :) I have a 2019 SEL FWD and it has the smaller rotors (front and rear). All non ST AWD vehicles have the larger front rotors, the same size as the ST, but a different configuration (345mm diameter inverted hat rotor and larger piston calipers by 4mm each piston). I could see where different calipers on the ST/ST-Line even without the performance brake kit could require the larger diameter spare tire wheel.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

According to tirerack.com 18” wheels fit Edge ST AWD with either the standard or upgraded brakes.

They are probably correct, yet it is odd that both Ford (via the fact you can't order an ST with upgraded brakes with a spare) and the dealer telling me they won't work.  

I had a similar situation with my prior vehicle, a 2017 plug in hybrid fusion.  It did not come with a spare, I thought due to not enough storage space in the trunk due to the batteries, but it turned out the spares would not fit over the regenerative braking on the hybrid and plug-in hybrid models.  I tried several spares that said they would fit, but they didn't.  I do a lot of road trips, so what I did is got another rim and put one of my old tires on it when I bought new tires.  Wrapped it up and put it in the back seat when we drove it to nowhere Wyoming one year.  I just won't drive a car with no spare anymore.  When I ordered my Edge to replace the Fusion I was very careful to get one that had a spare come with it.  

Good luck to Gunner in finding one that works.

15 hours ago, Davidoo said:

They are probably correct, yet it is odd that both Ford (via the fact you can't order an ST with upgraded brakes with a spare) and the dealer telling me they won't work.  

I had a similar situation with my prior vehicle, a 2017 plug in hybrid fusion.  It did not come with a spare, I thought due to not enough storage space in the trunk due to the batteries, but it turned out the spares would not fit over the regenerative braking on the hybrid and plug-in hybrid models.  I tried several spares that said they would fit, but they didn't.  I do a lot of road trips, so what I did is got another rim and put one of my old tires on it when I bought new tires.  Wrapped it up and put it in the back seat when we drove it to nowhere Wyoming one year.  I just won't drive a car with no spare anymore.  When I ordered my Edge to replace the Fusion I was very careful to get one that had a spare come with it.  

Good luck to Gunner in finding one that works.

It’s possible the factory mini spare is 17” not 18”.   Only one way to find out.