Help with P0420 code

Lilhalls

I have a 2011 Ford Edge with a P0420 cat system efficiency below threshold bank 1code. I don't have the money for a new Cat so I noticed on youtube to try a non fouler. I put it in on the back side of the engine near the firewall. Now I get the P0420 and P0133 o2 sensor slow response bank 1 sensor 1. Do you think I should have installed the nonfouler under the car by the Cat? Any help is appreciated as I am desperate at this point. 

This isn't a fix, at most it's a band aid to try and clear a code, your cat will still be bad and overtime will likely develop lack of power especially at highway speeds, decreased gas mileage, etc, unless it's collapsed instead of plugged then you'll probably blow it out the tail pipe, and wonder why because you have no codes. However if you have the 2.0l and it's collapsed the is a chance of debris from the cat ending up in the turbo and taking out the turbo.

So basically drive it with the code and save up for a new cat.

18 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Is that possible? - the turbo is upstream of the CAT in the exhaust gas flow path.

It's stories I've heard with turbo cars, but thinking about it I'm wondering if that was happening to guys with rear mounted turbos in 4th gen fbodies which would make sense. However a blocked cat can burn out your turbo due to the excessive heat.

7 hours ago, Lilhalls said:

I have a 2011 Ford Edge with a P0420 cat system efficiency below threshold bank 1code. I don't have the money for a new Cat so I noticed on youtube to try a non fouler. I put it in on the back side of the engine near the firewall. Now I get the P0420 and P0133 o2 sensor slow response bank 1 sensor 1. Do you think I should have installed the nonfouler under the car by the Cat? Any help is appreciated as I am desperate at this point. 

It has to be installed on the rear O2 sensor for it to work.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice to try it on the rear Ox sensor. This is not a turbo car so where can I find the bank 1 sensor #2 under the car?  I will use the Dorman 42009 and drill out one of them with 1/2" drill do I use two of them togather or is one enough? 

MTRMT Spark Plug Non-Foulers - 18mm Gasket Seat
MTRMT Spark Plug Non-Foulers - 18mm Gasket Seat
Part # 42009
1 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
Qty: 1