Newbie question on Edge Sync 4

My understanding is the 2021 Edge has built in connected navigation for 3 years. Does this mean your phone need to be connected to utilize the built in navigation?  If not, then what happens after the 3 year trial period? Do you still have built in navigation but just not live updates? 

Thanks

You have an SEL or higher with the Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ package (or Titanium Lux package or ST High package)?

The "Connected Built-In Navigation" after the 3 years and a service contract not extended becomes "offline navigation" simply using your GPS and built in maps. The data for the connected part uses the vehicles modem (gas stations, weather, parking, traffic, hazards, etc).

They tout it as better than Android Auto or Apple CarPlay because it will work when cell service is spotty, but that is the GPS and local maps stuff, the connected stuff would be as affected. Personally I download the maps for the places I know are spotty or I know I will be going for Google Maps since I use Android Auto, but I never have any issues even when I can't stream music (for a few minutes at a time).

They still haven't announced the Connected Built-In Navigation cost, the Connected Navigation is $80 a year.

Interesting. Wonder if after the free trial if it still updates maps or is stuck on last one downloaded. I do like it for general around town or short distances, but as others have indicated, I use Google maps mostly which doesn't stop working when cell towers lost intermittently. Guessing would be an issue if lost for 100 miles or so if not predownloaded. I have noticed if I use Google maps to look at trip planned before getting in car it asks if I want to download maps for route.

Thanks for the replies. So I assume I do not need my phone connected to the system to utilize the navigation system.  Is the built in navigation then no different than what I would have now say on my current fords that are not subject to future subscription services? 

Thank you

Phone connection is not needed, it has a built in AT&T LTE modem that it uses for SyncConnect and Connected (Built-In) Navigation. No idea what your current Fords are, and if the built in maps are similar between SYNC 3 and SYNC 4/4a or not. I don't know if it includes map updates during the complimentary period and if you pay or not to continue, or if you can buy updated maps or a subscription just for them and not the connection part.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Elfiero said:

my 2019 Edge ST has a GPS (sync 3) system that isn't worth 2 cents as compared to  my2015sync2

I only have SYNC 1 to compare it to and IMHO SYNC 3 is light years ahead of it.

Can you offer up some specifics as to why you feel it's worth less than a pack of gum?

In my experience each and every one of these gps systems - no matter who they are managed by - have functional issues at one point or another while they operate.  Most of the time they work fine - but sometimes - they can get very mixed up and show evidence of malfunction.  There are so many alternatives that are NOT paid at this point - Google Maps - Waze are two alternatives that I have a hard time justifying paying any amount cash for these types of services.  I know GM and now Ford are trying to turn us into further revenue streams with this - but the horse is already out of the barn and I don't plan to ever pay for this service again.  I am also under no illusions that there is a hidden cost to my 'free' take on this because I am surrendering my data in order to access this capability - but I am aware that I am doing that and have decided that to me - this does not matter.