Transmission shudder

RPGR90s

Good evening,

I have a 2019 ST that I purchased new. It now has 52k miles and has been pretty much problem free.

Saying that, the transmission has always shifted very roughly in what appears to be in the 2-3 or 3-4 shift.

I had it serviced under warranty (re-programmed) and it improved slightly but now it is as rough as ever.

Are there any TSB's or other solutions that the brain trust might know about?

Thanks!

TSB 20-2190 - 2019-2020 Edge-Nautilus - 8F57 Transmission - Harsh Engagements And-Or Harsh Upshift-Downshift.pdf (download link) is the only transmission-related TSB for 2019 Edge ST, and it was the likely basis for the PCM reprogramming your Edge ST received.

You may want to especially read this past discussion - 2020 Edge ST Transmission/Powertrain Issue(s) - where Forum members Fingernip and MLTEdge say replacing the torque converter in their Edge STs eliminated similar issues.

Good luck!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Haz said:

TSB 20-2190 - 2019-2020 Edge-Nautilus - 8F57 Transmission - Harsh Engagements And-Or Harsh Upshift-Downshift.pdf (download link) is the only transmission-related TSB for 2019 Edge ST, and it was the likely basis for the PCM reprogramming your Edge ST received.

You may want to especially read this past discussion - 2020 Edge ST Transmission/Powertrain Issue(s) - where Forum members Fingernip and MLTEdge say replacing the torque converter in their Edge STs eliminated similar issues.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply. I had the TSB you mentioned performed so I will contact my Ford dealer to see what's next. Since the car is past the warranty, I may be screwed.

1 hour ago, RPGR90s said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I had the TSB you mentioned performed so I will contact my Ford dealer to see what's next. Since the car is past the warranty, I may be screwed.

Drivetrain warranty is 5 years. ? So even if you have one of the 1st produced in the fall of 2018 like me, you should be good (edit: not sure on mileage... 50k top limit? I only have 24k as it's a secondary vehicle).

My dealer wants my '19 ST for a day to 'try' to replicate the same issue you described. I'm waiting for the transmission to fall out someday when it clunks after a Reverse-to-Drive usage. I also have a clunk/shutter if I'm accelerating to 40mph then let off the accelerator (probably the 3-4 shift).

Edited by bobyellow
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 10:18 AM, omar302 said:

Ford's powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60K miles, whichever occurs first. 

I verified my warranty is 5 years or 60k. I'm in SC until Sunday. Interesting, that I called the local Ford dealer here and they never returned my call. Oh well, I'll check with my local dealer back in MI.

Poking around, I removed the air filter assy. as this info seems to suggest I have a trans filler cap. I at least wanted to check the fluid level, but mine doesn't have one.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=4734&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G1676283&ProcUid=G1713844&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

Thank you all for your help. Really love this ST so hoping I can get this resolved for long term ownership.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

Had a 2020 ST with 53 kms. Tried 2 new transmissions still didn't fix it. First transmission was actually the best one. It honestly wasn't that bad but the tech and service manager and also the other driver felt it needed replacement but my god the 2nd transmission felt like it was going to explode ? then the third transmission was like 60/40 but still very harsh shifts. Ended up getting a 2023 ST with the updated transmission but im pissed because i lost my central locking system, keyless entry pad on the door and front and rear camera washers ? i have no idea why they weren't still available. I do have mods done to the 2020 ST without a tune but the techs all thought it was my modifications that was causing the transmission problems but 45kms and no issues so i couldn't see why all of a sudden they were....

20220827_144708.jpg