LED strip lights 2013 Edge SE

I just bought a used 2013 Edge SE that was in amazing shape and I really love this vehicle, however, I haven't found a way to turn on the verticle LED lights that are on the front bumper.  These look like driving or fog lights, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to activate them.

I also found a toggle switch underneath and to the left of my steering wheel that doesn't seem to do anything either.  I am guessing this was an aftermarket toggle switch that someone added at some point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you

17 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

My 2017 Sport might be different, but it needs the transmission to be in Drive for those to come on.

I thought of that too, had my wife check while it was in gear and they still didn't come on.  I guess it is possible the wires aren't hooked up.

The 2013 Edge Sourcebook lists "Parking lamps — supplemental, light-emitting diode (LED)" as standard on SEL trim level, but I do not find any mention of that feature for SE.

The SE Convenience Package 101A includes "Autolamp automatic on/off headlamps", but no other exterior lighting feature.

Online photos of 2013 SE Edges show a black plastic filler panel where the factory-installed supplemental parking lamp/LED strip is on SEL/Limited/Sport models, as shown in the below image...

The LED strips could be actual Ford parts, or aftermarket, installed by a previous owner, and now unsuccessfully controlled by that toggle switch.

Look for non-standard wiring and see if what's connected to the LED strips inside the front bumper cover matches the wiring connected to the toggle switch.

Good luck!

2013 Ford Edge SE.jpg

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Haz said:

The 2013 Edge Sourcebook lists "Parking lamps — supplemental, light-emitting diode (LED)" as standard on SEL trim level, but I do not find any mention of that feature for SE.

The SE Convenience Package 101A includes "Autolamp automatic on/off headlamps", but no other exterior lighting feature.

I have attached an image of what my Edge looks like, except mine is black in color.  It has the exact lights on it, although, I don't know if they are aftermarket or not.  When it isn't so hot outside, and my back isn't hurting (have had multiple surgeries) I will try to get a look at the wiring for it.

BBScEeW.png

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote everything

Sympathies to you on your back problems. Back pain has been rare for me, but I appreciate how debilitating it can be.

As you're likely aware, the image you shared is a Sport model with its blackout grille, 22-inch wheels, and the LED auxiliary parking lamps as standard equipment.

It's worth noting that factory-installed auxiliary parking lamps are wired into the same power-distribution circuit as the front parking lamps & side marker lamps, as well as the rear parking & license plate lamps, per (1004ron's-encouraged) wiring diagram from the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual, included below as an image and a PDF via download link below...

On the off-chance that your SE Edge's wiring includes unused plugs for Ford-supplied LED auxiliary parking lamp assemblies. descriptions of wiring connectors used for the left & right side auxiliary parking lamps are included below as PDF download links...

If you prefer the installed vertical LED light strips to be on whenever your Edge's parking lamps are lit, you could tap into the front parking/side marker wiring to supply them power.

If you prefer to use them as Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), you can troubleshoot the toggle switch circuit, presuming that's how the previous owner installed them to operate.

Or you could have both, by tapping into the front parking/side marker wiring to power up the installed LED lights whenever your Edge's parking/tail lamps are lit, and then gain DRLs by asking your dealer to activate your Edge's factory-supplied capability, or do-it-yourself if you or a friend are fluent Forscan-user(s), with the benefit as described in the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual...

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

NOTE: The Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) are a programmable parameter for this vehicle.

For vehicles with halogen headlamps:

• Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) can be enabled/disabled using the BCM Programmable Parameter, DRL Type.
  • the factory selected DRL system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.
  • when enabling the DRL using a scan tool, two modes of operation can be selected. The low beam headlamps will illuminate at a reduced intensity (halogen headlamps) or the front turn lamps will illuminate continuously (not flashing) at full intensity.

For vehicles with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps:

NOTICE: Do not enable Low Beams DRL mode If the vehicle is equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. If Low Beams DRL mode is enabled, damage to the headlamp ballast may occur.

• Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) can be enabled/disabled using the BCM Programmable Parameter, DRL Type.
  • the factory selected DRL system operates the front turn lamps illuminate continuously (not flashing) at full intensity.
  • when enabling the DRL using a scan tool, only one mode of operation should be selected. The front turn lamps will illuminate continuously (not flashing) at full intensity.

The DRL are activated when the following conditions are met:

• the ignition is in RUN
  • the headlamps have not been turned on by the autolamp system or the headlamp switch
  • the transmission is not in park

Good luck!

Auxiliary Parking Lamps Wiring Diagram - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Auxiliary Parking Lamps Wiring Diagram - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Auxiliary Parking Lamp Connector Locations - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Auxiliary Parking Lamp, Right Front C1446 Wiring Connector - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Auxiliary Parking Lamp, Left Front C1445 Wiring Connector - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

It's odd... when I run the vin it comes back as an SE, BUT.... it seems that it MIGHT be the sport model.

Here is an actual picture of my  Edge.  What do you think I am dealing with here?  An SE or Sport?

It has the SE features, but appears to have the Sport front end.  This has me totally confused.

20220510_104152 (1).jpg

Edited by BraddB
  • Like 1

Do your Edge's wheels match those in the image you posted?

If you are comfortable providing me the VIN via the Forum's Message system, I'll look it up in Ford's OASIS information system, which is used by dealership Service technicians.

Good luck!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Haz said:

Do your Edge's wheels match those in the image you posted?

If you are comfortable providing me the VIN via the Forum's Message system, I'll look it up in Ford's OASIS information system, which is used by dealership Service technicians.

Good luck!

Message sent.

Here are a picture of the wheels on my Edge

20220510_104202.jpg

20 minutes ago, Haz said:

2013 Edge SE Window Sticker - Partial.jpg

Good luck!

I appreciate it, guess I will just have to dig into the front end to see what is going on with the lights.  Seems like someone just dipped or painted the front end.  Was hoping to get lucky with this, but doesn't seem that way.  Lol

After doing some checking, I pulled the inner wheel well cover to look at the back of the strip lights.  I found they ARE plugged in and the wire from the harness at the lights runs up from the passenger side over to the driver's side and from there up towards the battery and I lose where it goes from there.  It looks like it MIGHT run through the firewall and to the toggle switch that is underneath and to the left of my steering wheel. It also appears that there is a fusable link that plugs into the fuse box in the engine compartment that I am not sure if it is part of this mess or not.  It does have a 30 amp fuse in it.

This is really driving me nuts.  I would really like to get this figured out and these led strip lights working, but I can't afford to take it to the dealer since I live on disability.

Edited by BraddB