Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133 & TSB 22-2229

Ronald S Katz

• 4 weeks later...

My Car is 2016 Ford Edge SEL AWD, Mileage 80701

found coolant intrusion into cylinder , need REPLACING LONG BLOCK WITH TURBO, WATER PUMP, VACUUM PUMP, BELTS and MISC GASKETS AND FLUIDS 

get quote from dealer, about $10,000?

is this quote reasonable? 

Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Shiping said:

found coolant intrusion into cylinder , need REPLACING LONG BLOCK WITH TURBO, WATER PUMP, VACUUM PUMP, BELTS and MISC GASKETS AND FLUIDS 

I wouldn't say it is reasonable, but it is probably close to what a dealership gets for the work. The long block is $2,600, not sure why the turbo is included, but the long block doesn't include the accessories, and I would replace the pumps, not the turbo unless something else happened to it. It shows 15 hours of labor, so $3000 if $200 an hour, so not sure where that other $4000 goes. This shows the parts required to do it, a lot of nuts and bolts and gaskets, but $4000 worth? https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169807-0001.pdf

1 hour ago, Shiping said:

We need a little bit more information. Why is the turbo requiring to be replaced? What codes are getting thrown in the vehicle? How long have you been driving it after the codes have popped up?

I swallowed this very large pill about two weeks ago with 77,000 miles did not have anything to do with the turbo 

they will charge you for an AC system discharge and recharge, and an alignment on top of the long block replacement labor just due to the nature of the task. 

On 7/19/2024 at 5:46 PM, dabangsta said:

I wouldn't say it is reasonable, but it is probably close to what a dealership gets for the work. The long block is $2,600, not sure why the turbo is included, but the long block doesn't include the accessories, and I would replace the pumps, not the turbo unless something else happened to it. It shows 15 hours of labor, so $3000 if $200 an hour, so not sure where that other $4000 goes. This shows the parts required to do it, a lot of nuts and bolts and gaskets, but $4000 worth? https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169807-0001.pdf

Thank you for information. I'll ask the question to dealer.  Really appreciate the help.

On 7/19/2024 at 6:17 PM, Starcr182 said:

We need a little bit more information. Why is the turbo requiring to be replaced? What codes are getting thrown in the vehicle? How long have you been driving it after the codes have popped up?

I swallowed this very large pill about two weeks ago with 77,000 miles did not have anything to do with the turbo 

they will charge you for an AC system discharge and recharge, and an alignment on top of the long block replacement labor just due to the nature of the task. 

Thank you very much for the reply. I'll ask for more information.

• Confused 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just paid $8200 for the correct upgraded block due to coolant intrusion.  what's more pathetic of Ford is they replaced this defective block in Feb 2022 due to damage from the defective flex plate that cracked with the same defective block, instead of the upgraded one.  Even though there were to TSB"S saying to replace etc ?   Last Ford I ever own!  no wonder their sales sucks, their vehicles suck.

Mechanic here. My wife’s car is a 2017 Lincoln MKC that we bought early in 2020 just before all of this information came out about how terrible the 2.0 design with the grooved cylinder walls and head gaskets were.

71k miles - no extended warranty- still has a car payment. Now we have a po301 code. Cylinder one misfire and it slowly losing coolant. 

I took out all 4 coil packs and plugs. Checked each cylinder with a borescope. Cylinder one appeared very dirty compared to the others - however no sign of coolant in the cylinder and the plug looked identical to the others. I moved the plug and coil pack from

1 to 2 in hopes that the misfire was a coil pack. The misfire came back the next morning on a cold start and unfortunately is still on cylinder one.

What I believe id happening is that while the engine is at operating temp - the head gasket is sealing properly - then as the engine cools of when its shut down - the gasket shrinks and shifts which causes it to leak coolant into the cylinder. Then on startup it misfires momentarily as the coolant is burned off. While the car is running at operating temp it is fine again. Of course this will become much worse at anytime now as the gasket fails farther. 

So as a mechanic - I will tell everyone that I know - do not under any circumstance buy a ford product. They will not stand behind their cars and refuse to issue a recall to help their customers. After warranty runs out you will be on the hook for a new engine - in our case at 71k miles. 

I told my wife that this car would be a safe reliable and dependable car - now we will be stuck with a paperweight that still has a payment.