Power Steering keeps exploding - '13 Edge Sport

LUPID

Hi,

My 2013 Sport keeps having power steering issues. Specifically, the hose erupts where the o-ring meets the pump. It happens only on hard left turns, like in a parking lot or making a u turn. This has happened 3x now. The mechanic keeps replacing the o-ring, but since it keeps happening it feels like the problem is either in the pump, where it connects TO the o ring or the relief valves in the steering system are stuck closed (I don't know the exact term).

Is this a know issue and is there a known fix?

Thanks,

L

• 1004ron changed the title to Power Steering keeps exploding - '13 Edge Sport

how many miles on your Edge?  there is a banjo bolt kit ford issued but nothing else really for power steering.

most issues center around a hose leak needing either brazing or replacement.

if power steering has not been flushed regularly, it will cause a number of issues, ending in the failure of the pump and/or rack.

assuming ford/motorcraft parts were used.  if fluid has never been flushed, you will want to do that as well, maybe more than a couple of times, until the fluid remains pink/red and new looking.

i don't think you can actually monitor fluid pressure in the steering system, although there is a switch that sets off an alert for too high a pressure.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/30/2022 at 5:32 PM, Jeremiah Rice said:

What did you end up learning as a cause of this issue?

My 2012 has done this twice in the past week since replacing the pressure line three months ago. 

Any one found the resolution to this. I'm on the 3rd o ring now. It only blows on hard turns in parking lots. The last time resulted in a engine fire.

Welcome to the Forum @skidatyl!

Since your Edge most recently suffered an engine compartment fire, it seems unlikely it's still fitted with its original Power Steering Pressure Line Hose, but since you only mention O-ring replacements, this Special Service Message (SSM) from February 2015 states the hose installed on vehicles built after December 2, 2014 was in some way changed...

SSM 44951   2011-2014 Edge And 2011-2015 MKX - Excessive Power Steering Noise When Performing Low Speed Turning Manuvers - Built On Or Before 12/2/2014

Some 2011-2014 Edge and 2011-2015 MKX vehicles built on or before 12/2/2014, equipped with 3.5L or 3.7L engines, may exhibit a whine, hiss, and/or howling noise that can be heard with all windows up when performing low speed turning maneuvers. To correct this concern replace the power steering pressure line with part number BT4Z-3A719-D and applicable service kit 8E5Z-3A705-A. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 211-02. Use applicable labor operation(s) from Section 3 of the SLTS manual.

The cited part number remains the recommended Service replacement part, including for my own 2015 MKX built after the SSM's December 2, 2014 cutoff date...

Link to this FordParts webpage

image.thumb.png.c9f1f46df88fbebc193bf4edb6ec5b96.png

So, while the SSM cites the new part's correction of Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) symptoms, perhaps the revised hose can provide other benefits.

Good luck!

Power Steering Pump to Steering Gear Pressure Line — 3.5L, 3.7L - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Power Steering Pump to Steering Gear Pressure Line — 2.0L GTDI - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

• Like 1