What oil do you all recommend or use?

Scott'sSEL

Have a 2013 SEL 3.5 with about 110,000 MI, I bought it with about 89,000 miles, it was always serviced at the dealer, with Motorcraft synthetic blend. I use that for the first couple oil changes, then I switched over to Valvoline Maxlife, I've been considering switching over to a synthetic. I don't drive much, maybe 5,000 mi a year. If that. Mostly around town driving, occasionally make some long distance trips with it.. but I always change my oil twice a year. What do you guys recommend in the way of oil. If it wasn't for this internal water pump I would probably stay with what I have been using.  Thanks ?

personally, first and foremost, step up viscosity to 5W30.  then full synthetic. you would be fine even with Supertech (WalMart) oil as it is made by Warren Distributing.  SP rated oil is much sturdier base stock than SN rated oil, so that is what I would use, despite the Ca/Mg ratios being moved about (to benefit boosted engines). 

MACT's testing on SN rated oils and some gear lubes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEMTa3YOBIYBTYiaEhQLfooPohN_l645z1DaWRuFzC0/

• Like 1

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 in the 2.7 Ecoboost

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 in the 5.0 Coyote

Pennzoil Platinum in 5W-30 in the 2.4 Malibu, lawnmower, snow thrower etc.

Good products and always readily available and on sale in this area.

In the past I used Amsoil Signature Series oil which is also a very good product. Boutique pricing and availability are the main detractors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

personally, first and foremost, step up viscosity to 5W30.  then full synthetic. you would be fine even with Supertech (WalMart) oil as it is made by Warren Distributing.  SP rated oil is much sturdier base stock than SN rated oil, so that is what I would use, despite the Ca/Mg ratios being moved about (to benefit boosted engines). 

MACT's testing on SN rated oils and some gear lubes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEMTa3YOBIYBTYiaEhQLfooPohN_l645z1DaWRuFzC0/

I'm not cool on running Walmart oil. Do you all recommend running, high mileage synthetic? What is the big difference between Pennzoil ultra Platinum and Pennzoil Platinum?

38 minutes ago, Scott'sSEL said:

I'm not cool on running Walmart oil. Do you all recommend running, high mileage synthetic? What is the big difference between Pennzoil ultra Platinum and Pennzoil Platinum?

It has a more robust additive package tailored for higher performance motors. The regular Platinum is more than adequate for your application.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I've been using Mobil 1 on all my vehicles and usually buy it at around $33 for a pack of 6 qrts when on special at Costco.

Don't have any issues with Mobil 1 but with the great price for Pennzoil on Amazon and the abundance of good reviews I'm making the change - still got a fair amount of Mobil 1 in my garage.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (5-Quart, Case of 3)  $61.64

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1004ron said:

I've been using Mobil 1 on all my vehicles and usually buy it at around $33 for a pack of 6 qrts when on special at Costco.

Don't have any issues with Mobil 1 but with the great price for Pennzoil on Amazon and the abundance of good reviews I'm making the change - still got a fair amount of Mobil 1 in my garage.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (5-Quart, Case of 3)  $61.64

I also use Pennzoil...my hack for free oil is wait for a rebate and buy with cash back points so I essentially get free oil.  Check Pennzoil's site for a rebate form, it will list which retailers you can claim the rebate for.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/pennzoil-platinum-rewards-national-promotion.html

Edited by sc00by

49 minutes ago, sc00by said:

I also use Pennzoil...my hack for free oil is wait for a rebate and buy with cash back points so I essentially get free oil.  Check Pennzoil's site for a rebate form, it will list which retailers you can claim the rebate for.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/pennzoil-platinum-rewards-national-promotion.html

I always got the rebates for Mobil, but I see that Amazon.com isn't included for Pennzoil rebates.

I get 2% cash back with my Citi card - explain your math for getting "essential free oil".

1 minute ago, 1004ron said:

I always got the rebates for Mobil, but I see that Amazon.com isn't included for Pennzoil rebates.

I get 2% cash back with my Citi card - explain your math for getting "essential free oil".

The card has no annual fee and cash back is basically free money for using the card.  You would have spent the money either way but get a perk in the form of cash back.  Slap a rebate on top and bam.

Just now, 1004ron said:

Blend or Full Synthetic?

Blend, because that's what it's always had. I know you can safely switch to full syn, but I still believe in running the same oil, I'm old school that way. Every 7000 or so, drive to heat and drain for 30 minutes and fill with 5.4 qts. The 5.4 puts the level just below the max fill hole, so next time I'm going to check after 5 qts. I like it when the level is at the top of the cross hatching, no higher, no lower. And no, OCD has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim W. AZ said:

Blend, because that's what it's always had. I know you can safely switch to full syn, but I still believe in running the same oil, I'm old school that way. Every 7000 or so, drive to heat and drain for 30 minutes and fill with 5.4 qts. The 5.4 puts the level just below the max fill hole, so next time I'm going to check after 5 qts. I like it when the level is at the top of the cross hatching, no higher, no lower. And no, OCD has nothing to do with it.

Blend and 7K miles with a turbo charged engine wouldn't be the best if long term ownership is planned.

• Like 3

What ford suggests for the ecoboost motors:

Engine Oil - SAE 5W-30 - Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
XO-5W30-Q1SP

I am honestly shocked they suggest a blended oil, for sure though it would be full syn.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 2:35 PM, Scott'sSEL said:

On 7/13/2021 at 5:50 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Nothing wrong with WalMart / SuperTech oil.  It is all re-labeled anyway, whether SuperTech, Kirkland, or Amazon, to name a few.

But if you want brand name, you certainly have your pick of the litter.  Always check to see if rebates/promotions apply by going to the mfr websites.

Walmart Supetech, Costco Kirkland, Amazon Basics, MAG1,  ......... all made by reputable American company Warren Distribution/Oil

You'll find them listed here:

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

• Like 1

Coming in late on this thread, the dealer uses Motorcraft 5w-30 semi synthetic and the say it is what Ford recommends. I was surprised they use semi instead of full synthetic. With the twin turbos on the ST I go about 4000 (no more than 4500) between oil changes. Past 5000 on a turbo engine seems to be pushing it a bit.

Seems like if Ford recommends it, go with it???

My concern is the belt driven oil pump. I have read stories that possibly premature belt failures (followed by engine failures) could be linked to the customer using oils other than what ford recommends. I am not sure how true this is??  Makes no sense to use a rubber belt bathed in oil to drive the 'Heart" of the engine, but couldn't certain additive packages in certain oils accelerate deterioration of this critical belt?

I literally have no clue how much truth there is to this, but I thought it would be good for conversation. Thanks 

1 hour ago, STBEAST said:

Coming in late on this thread, the dealer uses Motorcraft 5w-30 semi synthetic and the say it is what Ford recommends. I was surprised they use semi instead of full synthetic. With the twin turbos on the ST I go about 4000 (no more than 4500) between oil changes. Past 5000 on a turbo engine seems to be pushing it a bit.

Seems like if Ford recommends it, go with it???

My concern is the belt driven oil pump. I have read stories that possibly premature belt failures (followed by engine failures) could be linked to the customer using oils other than what ford recommends. I am not sure how true this is??  Makes no sense to use a rubber belt bathed in oil to drive the 'Heart" of the engine, but couldn't certain additive packages in certain oils accelerate deterioration of this critical belt?

I literally have no clue how much truth there is to this, but I thought it would be good for conversation. Thanks 

I doubt that your owners manual is different to mine with regards the oil spec.

Full Synthetic is listed as optional - i.e. for those that want to pay for the extra protection of the full synth.

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 8.57.48 PM.png

• Like 1

I'll switch to Kirkland Signature 5W-30 full synthetic for my new Ranger. It meets Ford's latest standard: WSS-M2C961-A1

No concerns with my current stash of Pennzoil UP. It will be used up in my other vehicles.

Out of an abundance of caution, I adhere to the recommended lubricant specifications and use Motorcraft oil filters during the warranty period.

Edited by handfiler

I guess it makes sense that Ford is going to only recommend Motorcraft, since it is their oil. Sales for sure.

I think rather than risk the possibility of an oil pump belt failure due to using an oil NOT recommended by Ford, I will stick with Motorcraft for sure!

Thanks for the info.