Rear Differential Replacement

JoeKWV

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

Seems RDU failure are becoming more common than before. 

to be fair, there is an obvious fluid leak stain at the output shaft, so it probably ran dry.

If the fluid level is kept right, they last quite well.

I know i ran with mine 'dry' or effectively empty for quite a while. 

like tens of thousands of miles, and yes its shot now, but i can't help but wonder if it would in this state if it had fluid in it the whole time.

Bad mechanic (me), no donut. 😒

cerberus don't beat yourself up too bad - sure you could have checked the fluid level occasionally ( i never checked mine either) - mine did have lots of fluid in there..just lots of metal also - of course Ford could have put a drain on it at almost no cost and then maybe? we would have looked at it sooner

that pull & pay parts yard contacted me that a 2014 edge had just arrived in their yard - went out there and pulled the differential out - took 2 hours - jspec i took your advice and removed the entire pass side knuckle - hard to do in a yard - they don't allow you to bring in a jack so you're unbolting things under spring pressure - but it is in my garage now

it's an exact replacement for mine - most of the oil dumped at the yard but i set it on end in my drain pan and got out 6-7 ounces of oil - i don't see any metal in it so maybe i got lucky

my plan is to get new seals and flush it out - i have some 75w-90 gear oil here to flush - or should i use something like kerosene to flush it? - the seals cost almost as much as this unit - pull & pay charges a flat price for parts no matter what kind of car they come from - so a differential for a ford is the same as one from a porsche - it was $128 out the door - hopefully get this in, in the next 30 days (that's the extent of their warranty)

i am also planning on drilling a drain into it - anybody have a quick link to instructions for that? - that way i can make changing it's oil an every 10K mile or so job - thanks for all the advice - will check back when it's in - also going to open my bad one up and see what's what in there

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, honerboys said:

reason not to drill drain? - i'm seeing online that these need an occasional oil change - the one i just got is 10 years old with it's original oil (i assume) - just curious

Changing fluid is good. Compromising the structural integrity of a load bearing member is unnecessary to perform the fluid change, it just makes it easier.

Also, if in fact the unit has the original fluid and is in as good a condition as you say, that would suggest that regular fluid changes are less necessary than you might think.

Mine ran empty for many miles and did not fail completely.. yet.

• Thanks 1