Disappoinment - PTU drain and fill - capacity

flymore

20 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid. 12.7 ± 1.7 fl oz (375 ± 50 ml)

14 hours ago, flymore said:

Interesting thanks for the info.

Mine is the 3.5L engine - maybe the same PTU? This could explain it.

Owners manual says,

CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 3.5L

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)

Really hoping PTU capacity was going up due to the extreme temperatures not down.

Thanks.

For clarity, I only posted an excerpt from the PDF that @dajo2012   posted ,  and I  think posting a link to a PDF of a different model  without any supporting comments is not helpful.

Edited by 1004ron

• 3 years later...

Did my 1004,500 mile engine, PTU and RDU oil change today.

Found something concerning with my PTU oil change.

When I pulled the fill plug and steady stream of oil came out suggested it was over-filled, and it had a pink/red tinge to it.

Of course my first thoughts was that I have transmission fluid leaking into the PTU, but don't know if that's possible with the mechanical arrangement - maybe @Haz can shed some light on this theory?

I'm using Amsoil severe gear oil which is a virtually clear fluid.

Previous fill I did with only the two front wheels on ramps, whereas this time I have all four up on ramps but doubt that could cause the over-filling.

Edit: Pulled the air-box and checked transmission fluid with it warm and no indication that the level has dropped although the little overfill of the PTU is unlikely it would be seen on the dipstick.

Edited by 1004ron

Until someone knowledgeable chimes in, my take is the extra capacity was simply from the the previous overfill due to the front wheels up only, and the red/pink tinge is due to the mixing with leftover Royal Purple oil that was still in the PTU from previous change(s).

• Like 1

Waiting for @Haz to stop by and confirm if a leakage path exists from the transmission to PTU.

@omar302 the previous two PTU fluid changes were Amsoil so not possible leftover from the Royal Purple.

I'll do another PTU fluid change in 5K miles with the car on four ramps (level) and report back on any sign of overfilling.

When the Workshop Manual diagnosis and testing section mentions Transmission Fluid leakage, it initially describes external-to-the Transfer Case leaks, not Transmission Fluid passing into the Transfer Case, however, under Analysis of Leakage, overfilled PTU fluid is assigned to a need for replacement of intermediate and input shaft seals (emphasis added) ...

image.png.501a49fd0af7fb904b8b3440db79bee2.png

image.png.76c98b38556928882362462b08f42f0d.png

Analysis of Leakage (Partial)

The power transfer unit may leak different color fluids, automatic transmission fluid and a brown/black gear lube for power transfer unit fluid. The power transfer unit seals prevent these types of fluids from leaking. Its important to note the color of fluid leaking to determine the most appropriate service procedure.

NOTE: Remove and replace leaking seals using the information found in the appropriate procedure. The specified tools called out in this procedure allows seal replacement without causing damage to the power transfer unit casing/drive gear.

NOTE: Replace the intermediate shaft seal any time the intermediate shaft is removed.

Power Transfer Unit Leaks From the LH Side

If the leak is automatic transmission fluid, the compression seal needs to be replaced.
REFER to: Transfer Case (308-07C Transfer Case - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), Removal).
REFER to: Intermediate Shaft Seal (308-07C Transfer Case - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), Removal and Installation).

If the PTU fluid is overfilled, replace the intermediate shaft seal, LH input shaft seal and the RH input shaft seal.
REFER to: Transfer Case Input Shaft Seal (308-07C Transfer Case - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), Removal and Installation).
REFER to: Intermediate Shaft Seal (308-07C Transfer Case - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), Removal and Installation).

Related Workshop Manual sections are attached below and in an immediately following post as PDF documents...

Transfer Case - 2.7L EcoBoost - Diagnosis and Testing - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Transfer Case - 2.7L EcoBoost - Removal - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Transfer Case Intermediate Shaft Seal - 2.7L EcoBoost - Removal and Installation - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Transfer Case Intermediate Shaft Bushing - 2.7L EcoBoost - Removal and Installation - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Transfer Case - 2.7L EcoBoost - Power Transfer Unit - Overview - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Transfer Case - 2.7L EcoBoost - Installation - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks @Haz

It confirmed my suspicion that I have transmission fluid leakage into the PTU, and I have a BIG DIY job I need to plan for.

Wondering if a good used replacement PTU is an easier option vs buying more special tools to replace the seals and bushes etc.

Edit: 

On second thoughts, no I won't be looking at a used unit, unless factory rebuilt units are available - I would welcome any pointers on best place to buy a new PTU and if there's an upgraded later model available that would work on my 2017.

Ford F2GZ-7251-C Power Take Off Assembly$797.44

I'll be making a final decision in about 4 months/5K miles.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Sad 1

This might have been self inflicted - 2000 miles ago I did the trans drain & fill multiple times.

This evening I got it up to temperature and found the level on the high side - I used my oil extractor and took a little over half a quart to get it down to the midway point between MIN & MAX.

Will do the PTU fluid again with the engine oil change in 5K miles.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1