Aftermarket amp dash wiring 2018 edge

I am installing an aftermarket subwoofer setup in my 2018 Ford edge. I’m using a pack media converter with the Sony system the model is AP4- FD 21 which allows integration with the Sony amp and it’s mounted behind the CD player portion of the infotainment system in the dash. The issue I’m facing is I can’t find a path to run the RCA and remote wire through the dash to the floorboards the pathways are too tight to get the RCA connectors to fit through with a fishing hook / metal coat hanger. Does anyone recommend and approach to easily feed the wires through the dash?  I’m running rca and remote wire on passenger side and the power wire on the drivers.

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Just following up on this I ended up going with the PAC AmpPro AP4-FD21 integration system.   It's expensive but there's no cutting of any wires.  I got mine on ebay new for $200.

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro-amplifier-interfaces/ap4-fd21

A couple things to note:

- The remote on wire stays on until the vehicle goes to sleep meaning your AMP will stay on for about 5 minutes after you exit the vehicle and lock the doors. 

- The PAC unit itself also stays on until the car goes to sleep.  It just has a single red LED that stays illuminated until the car sleeps.  

- If you are using just the subwoofer out and NOT the front  or rear pre-amp outputs (keeping factory setup and just installing an amp and subwoofer) you do not need to adjust any of the chime or EQ settings on the PAC.  Those settings are only for using an aftermarket 4 channel amp to drive mids and highs.

- The Bass knob that comes with the PAC only adjusts the pre-out voltage for the subwoofer channel.  I called PAC and they told me to run with this at 100% (full clockwise position) and use the bass knob on my amp to control the amplifier output. 

Last thing.  PAC's website says this is for 2015 - 2017 but I called them and we verified all the wiring is the same for 2018.  He said they just had not verified it in a 2018 but it will work.  I haven't had any comparability issues with it in my 2018 Titanium.  Plug-n-play.

Edited by Sledwrecker

Oh also, I was able to run the pac harness out the passenger side of the console into the side of the glovebox.  The PAC itself now is easily serviced by opening the glovebox, pushing up on the tabs at the top of the glovebox to release it and then releasing the glovebox arm.  The glovebox drops open and you have full access behind it.  This was also the easiest way to run the rca wires coming up the passenger side foot Pilar and into the glovebox area.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sledwrecker,

Nice job describing your project!  This is going to be helpful to anyone else planning to upgrade their Gen2 Sony system. 
A request.  Can you post a photo of the behind the glovebox location of the pac?  I've mounted a front camera module in that same area (cross brace above the glove box) but suspect your solution is a better one.

Thanks!

• Like 1