Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

I know I am late chiming in on this, but I bought a new 2021 Edge St and around 2000 miles I noticed the transmission started to do some really weird things. If I accelerated aggressively from a dead stop, it would slam from 1st to 2nd. Felt like the transmission was going to drop out of the bottom of the car. The other issue was when enjoying Sport Mode, you would occasionally here a SCREECH when it would shift gears (somewhere between 2nd and 4th gear. It was about 1-2 seconds long. You only heard it; you didn't feel anything. The final issue was in reverse. When in reverse it felt like there was a delay, then surge when you would accelerate. After multiple trips to the dealer, they ended up replacing the transmission shift control module. It seemed to help the issue, but the reverse issue was the same. I never felt comfortable after the buck/slam issue. At 12K I ended up trading in for a 2024 Edge St. 

Only after driving the 2024 (I am at 2800 miles) did realize the 2021 had a serious transmission issue. I think there may be a class action lawsuit on this. Not sure on the specific issues though. 

When I brought the car in last week for the first oil change, the service writer noticed me I told him I traded the 2021 for a 2024. He asked me if Ford bought my old vehicle back!😄 I should have pushed for a new vehicle!

Edited by STBEAST

My 2021 SEL has just about 70k miles and every once in a while there is a little bit of a harsh shift. I have only drained and filled the transmission once. I don’t think it made a big difference. I’m not expecting super smooth shifts each time, but I guess I will just have to keep doing drain and fills. I really hope that this transmission will make it to 200k miles and I would be happy.

• Like 1

Wubster100, would it be worth it to take the vehicle into a dealer and have them do a complete fluid change?

I don't know how much it would cost and I have a hard time trusting dealerships, but it might be worth it. 

Would love to see you make it to the 200k mark.  Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wubster100 said:

I probably won’t take the vehicle to a shop, just to save on labor cost. But I could try drain and fill 3 times, which should replace most of the fluid. And I can also try resetting the adaptive learning tables.

A drain and fill or 2 should be sufficient. I’d be careful resetting the adaptive tables at home, it’s a bit more risky than people give it credit for especially with these new transmissions. Ford has a very specific procedure for the drive cycle that should occur directly after a reset and it’s pretty impossible to do it safely on a public roadway. Shops that do it the right way use a dyno or similar. 

• Like 1

Hello guys.

I don't know if this will improve your Edge tranny problems but this is my experience. 

I discovered problems when I purchased my 2019 AWD SEL with 44K kms.

It was jerky when cold and driving slowly, and also harsh down shifting to second and first during normal driving.

We spent 5 weeks in Mexico, so I disconnected the battery and reconnected it when we returned.

The jerky shifting is sometimes occurring for a short distance, but the down shifting is much smoother now. Not sure how long the battery actually needs to be disconnected before it "resets", but it definitely had an effect on mine...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KevinPrice said:

Hello guys.

I don't know if this will improve your Edge tranny problems but this is my experience. 

I discovered problems when I purchased my 2019 AWD SEL with 44K kms.

It was jerky when cold and driving slowly, and also harsh down shifting to second and first during normal driving.

We spent 5 weeks in Mexico, so I disconnected the battery and reconnected it when we returned.

The jerky shifting is sometimes occurring for a short distance, but the down shifting is much smoother now. Not sure how long the battery actually needs to be disconnected before it "resets", but it definitely had an effect on mine...

Yes, it really does help. I think that's how the dealership fooled me when I bought my used 2019. I did reset mine a couple times like you said and it works every time, but it eventually comes back. Changing the EGR sensor on mine is what has made the biggest difference. But, it doesnt work for all since I believe there are numerous issues that cause a similar condition. No more surging and bucking, but it definitely is not a very refined transmission, even if everything is working properly. I drive my wife's RAV 4 8 speed and it is absolutely seamless. Smooth and predictable every shift.

• Like 1