Adding Apple CarPlay to 2014 Edge

Jguinee1

Hello,

My husband has a 2014 Edge with sync 2.  I would love to add Apple car play for him which requires sync 3.  I know Mazda developed a kit so it could be added to its cars as far back as 2014.  When I asked our Ford dealership I was told they had no idea if it could be added; that no one has asked.  Has anyone done this??  Thanks.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:55 PM, Jguinee1 said:

Hello,

My husband has a 2014 Edge with sync 2.  I would love to add Apple car play for him which requires sync 3.  I know Mazda developed a kit so it could be added to its cars as far back as 2014.  When I asked our Ford dealership I was told they had no idea if it could be added; that no one has asked.  Has anyone done this??  Thanks.

Your dealership was being polite. An official sync 3 kit complete with an official part number doesn't exist!  Sync3 can be retrofitted relatively easily. Ford simply wants us to buy new cars....

But alas there is hope. Depending on what he has originally installed will determine the price.

If he has the 4" screen it might be simply easier to replace the head unit with one that does apple car play.

If he has the 8" screen he can do a sync 3 conversion.  sync 3 upgrade for myford touch

Another alternative is buying a kit from a member on the Ford Edge World Wide Facebook page.  It was mentioned to me in passing. Sorry I don't do Facebook.  Perhaps @Nick Halstead can point you in the right direction. Nick is very helpful and he is a Moderator on Ford Edge World Wide

HTH

Thanks for the info!  I'm glad to know it can be done but seems complicated.  I am not the least bit knowledgable or adept with cars, nor is my husband.  I was hoping Ford would just install it for a fee the way Mazda is willing to do.  Maybe if I call around all the Ford dealerships in my area, one will be willing?  My husband has the 2014 Edge Sport - it was the highest level model so he has the 8 inch screen.

-Julie

I replaced my 2012 MFT with SYNC 3 as well.  Took about an hour total.

The programming is the biggest hurdle (not insurmountable if you have decent google skills!), but, there’s a few resources where folks will program it for you.  Cost is $75-100.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

• 1 month later...

I managed to find a Sync 3 unit used for $125 on OfferUp. After that, I had to buy new USB unit (required for CarPlay), which with the adapter and wiring harness that allow you to just plug it in costs around $100 ($50 for usb, $50 for wiring harness, $15 for adapter to make usb fit in center console). After that, it’s just a matter of programming the unit. A cable to connect to you car costs $20 on Amazon, and you’ll need a windows pc. You can either provide your VIN and pay for someone to write you the codes ($50-$100), or you can do it yourself, you’ll just need to do some research on forscan.org. 

To to buy a sync3 unit new, it will probably cost around $500-$600 itself. An all-inclusive kit costs between $1500-$2000 (a little ridiculous, you can save a lot of money by doing most of it yourself) It generally comes down to how much you’re willing to pay and how much you’re willing to learn and do. For me, I did everything, and it cost me about $250 total. Hopefully I can sell my old My Ford Touch unit and get most of it back too.

• Like 1