Gas mileage

kp613

Bad gasoline is sold that will kill fuel economy. It can also be the amount of ethanol in the gasoline too.

Sometimes the amount of ethanol in the blend , depends on the price spread between gasoline and alcohol!

EPA drive cycles are like people racing dynamometers! 

• Like 1

gasoline at the pump is seasonally and regionally variable due to air temperature influence on vaporization.

Higher alcohol content = higher resistance to knock, which also equals poorer mileage due to energy density of the fuel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabangsta said:

Winter formulation of fuel with more ethanol is probably not being rolled out in the western hemisphere right now.

While I don't have first hand knowledge on precise fuel formulations per seasonal requirements,  Ethanol is as far as I know less volatile than gasoline, which would make it counter intuitive to use higher Ethanol content in winter formulations, unless I have it backwards or they add another ingredient to increase volatility? 

IDK 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

While I don't have first hand knowledge on precise fuel formulations per seasonal requirements,  Ethanol is as far as I know less volatile than gasoline, which would make it counter intuitive to use higher Ethanol content in winter formulations, unless I have it backwards or they add another ingredient to increase volatility? 

IDK 

The difference is butane which has to be adjusted for high summer temps.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, garycrist said:

@akirby is right! Butane has an octane rating of 91 but it evaporates

quickly when warm, hence winter or cold use only.

boils/evaporates quickly when warm?

Butane boils at 31 degrees F.. which is not exactly warm.

Edited by Cerberus
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cerberus said:

boils/evaporates quickly when warm?

Butane boils at 31 degrees F.. which is not exactly warm.

It’s about minimizing vapor at gas stations when filling vehicles and filling in ground tanks.

Edited by akirby

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It’s about minimizing vapor at gas stations when filling vehicles and filling in ground tanks.

i'm not trying to be obtuse here, but explain how adding something, which is not in a liquid state (boils off to vapor at 31.2 degrees F) to a less volatile liquid results in less vapor?

23 hours ago, Cerberus said:

i'm not trying to be obtuse here, but explain how adding something, which is not in a liquid state (boils off to vapor at 31.2 degrees F) to a less volatile liquid results in less vapor?

Ask the chemists not me.

image.png

On 6/20/2024 at 7:02 AM, Tim W. AZ said:

Now that it's summer, are you running the AC every time you drive? I went from 24-26 city to 21-22 with AC use, but I live in Phoenix. On a recent 2900 mile trip covering desert and mountain driving, my overall average was 31.1 mpg and I was pretty happy with that.

That was impressive. I can merely hit 31.1 with all flat highway driving.