22" Wheel width

Hey everybody, I just bought my 22s. They were purchased from what i thought was a very big, reputable dealer but now i'm not so sure. I purchased 8.5" width on 265/40/22s. They helped recommend the wheel, tires, sizes for both, mounted, balanced, etc.... Well i just happen to find something today after already purchasing them that says that this size tire is to be mounted on rims 9.0"-10.5". I called a few other vendors and they said that 9.0" is the minimum width that should be used with this tire size. Is the 9.0" a recommendation and is there an allowance to play with. I know the 8.5" is only 1/4" narrower on each side of the rim, but could this be a safety issue. Just when i think have things figured out, i find something to contradict it. Please help as i just dished out some serious $$ on these.

Thanks!

Hey everybody, I just bought my 22s. They were purchased from what i thought was a very big, reputable dealer but now i'm not so sure. I purchased 8.5" width on 265/40/22s. They helped recommend the wheel, tires, sizes for both, mounted, balanced, etc.... Well i just happen to find something today after already purchasing them that says that this size tire is to be mounted on rims 9.0"-10.5". I called a few other vendors and they said that 9.0" is the minimum width that should be used with this tire size. Is the 9.0" a recommendation and is there an allowance to play with. I know the 8.5" is only 1/4" narrower on each side of the rim, but could this be a safety issue. Just when i think have things figured out, i find something to contradict it. Please help as i just dished out some serious $$ on these.

Thanks!

Hi Craiger. :D I would recommend that you ask Professionals about this subject, and not take an Internet poll of strangers (including me). You can/will get all kinds of advice as to whether your tire/wheel combo is correct, but how do you know that any of us know what the heck we are talking about?

First, this certainly can be a safety issue, if the tires are on a wheel which is 1/2" too narrow. In fact, if you had a tire failure and the wheels are the incorrect width for the particular tire size, your tire warranty could also be voided by the tire manufacturer (in addition to the fact you could be hurt or killed in a catastrophic tire failure at speed).

Next, if the retailer/supplier you purchased this wheel/tire combo from sold you a mismatched set, they certainly should be made to correct their error (at their expense, not yours).

Please believe me when I say I am not trying to be a wiseguy, just give you good advice. I would contact the tire manufacturer first, and ask them what their recommendation is. You do not say what brand tire you have (a rather important fact to know for anyone trying to advise you), but I would certainly start by contacting the tire manufacturer.

Next, you could call The Tire Rack, Discount Tire, your local STS, ETD, or other Professional Tire retailers, and have them address your concerns. You say you already have several other vendors telling you that the "minimum" wheel width for your new tires is 9.0", making your new wheels the incorrect width for your tires. I think you may have a problem.

If your tire/wheel combo is incorrect, this could be a major safety hazard. I just think you would be better served by getting professional advice, not amateur advice from God knows who (and again, that includes me). Let's face it, the next person trying to pass themself off here as a "tire expert" to you, could be some twelve year old typing away in the basement on Mom and Dads computer, or worse! :hysterical:

Of course, someone else giving you Internet advice here could possibly be a bona fide tire expert, but how will you know whether you have the tire expert or the twelve year old? :headscratch:

Again, please understand I am only trying to give you some good advice. This is the same advice I would tell my own brother or sister.

I hope you can straighten this out easily.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the advice! I understand completely what you are saying and I have already started. The issue that I'm having is that I'm getting conflicting stories. For example, Discount Tire say it's fine because it's so close and TireRack say no, it's not. I was just hoping that there may be an expert lurking around here that could help (even if he's 12 ;)

The tires are Yokohama Spec-X in 265/40/22. I guess my next step is contacting them directly.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I understand completely what you are saying and I have already started. The issue that I'm having is that I'm getting conflicting stories. For example, Discount Tire say it's fine because it's so close and TireRack say no, it's not. I was just hoping that there may be an expert lurking around here that could help (even if he's 12 ;)

The tires are Yokohama Spec-X in 265/40/22. I guess my next step is contacting them directly.

Thanks!

Hi Craiger. :D I went to the Yokohama tire website LINK: Yokohama Tires (I did a "Search by Tire Size"). It is a two page PDF file, the Size Chart is on the second page, so scroll down.

They list the "approved rim width" for the Parada Spec-X, 265/40/22 tire as 9.0" to 10.5". So it would seem that Yokohama would consider your 8.5 inch rim "Unapproved" width (as some have already told you). This could cause you either safety or Warranty issues at some point.

Nowhere in the PDF file does it state that there is an "allowance" or "margin of error" of 1/2" or any other amount. Maybe there is, but it is not stated in the Yokohama information. It would seem that if you are within the "Approved Width" of 9" to 10.5" you are okay. If you are above or below those widths, you are using an "Unapproved Combination".

You can try calling Yokohama to see if there is a 1/2" "margin of error" or "allowance" on the rim size, but short of something in writing, I would not take the chance. I would recommend printing out the PDF file, returning to the retailer where you purchased the tires, and requesting that they correct their mistake.

Let us know how things progress.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hey again...I actually called Yokahama directly this afternoon to ask about such an allowance as i have found some car makers that actually do this (BMW to name one). Well, talked to a tech person and sure enough, there is no allowance. 9.0" is the minimum "approved" wheel width to go with those tires. 255/40/22s would be fine...if only they came in that size! This is getting frustrating as I was set on these 8.5" wheels.

Thanks again!